Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    This ^^^

2. Member
    Yes I have ordered the Newer CSM Remote Control and I see that I must enlarge the original hole. I know I will need an adapater plate, and where can these be ordered from.
    I just took it to the mechanic today and he is going to be looking at it tomorrow, but I know now I will need an adapater plate.

So I have a similar issue. I have an old Evinrude concealed side mount control box on my old Ranger. I need to replace the cables and cannot figure out how to remove the damn thing to do it. I placed the shifter in neutral and at the full reverse or 3 o'clock position and there is no screw or slot to be had anywhere over at the 9 o'clock or any other position. There is only the one tension screw and I loosened that as far as I could and it didn't make a difference (which I didn't expect it to, but whatever). When you take the rubber cover off, there is no screw, only a "male" button sticking up that I tried to turn both right and left, pushing in and as is. Both ways had negative results. Other than the small hole to the left of the shifter that had the old plastic ":Ranger" plate on it, there is no other access hole when moving the seat forward and I am at a loss. I can barley see the control box even when laying on the floor and under the console, but I can reach in and touch it. There is little to no clearance at all to maneuver any type of tools. My shifter model # is Evinrude 5006561. It's frustrating because I fix all my own things, fabricate when necessary and cannot for the life of me figure this one out. I figure that maybe I've been looking at it too long and need to take a step back and ask a group of knowledgeable folks, so here I am. Very interested to see what you all think and hope it's something simple, so simple that I am just missing the obvious. Tried to upload a pic but the forum wouldn't allow me to.[IMG]20180708_223926 by Roger Bedard, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by rlgdguy; 07-09-2018 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Tried to add picture
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V
    1991 Johnson Faststrike 150hp

So I have a similar issue. I have an old Evinrude concealed side mount control box on my old Ranger. I need to replace the cables and cannot figure out how to remove the damn thing to do it. I placed the shifter in neutral and at the full reverse or 3 o'clock position and there is no screw or slot to be had anywhere over at the 9 o'clock or any other position. There is only the one tension screw and I loosened that as far as I could and it didn't make a difference (which I didn't expect it to, but whatever)When you take the rubber cover off, there is no screw, only a "male" button sticking up that I tried to turn both right and left, pushing in and as is. Both ways had negative results. There is no access hole when moving the seat forward and I am at a loss. My shifter model # is Evinrude 5006561. It's frustrating because I fix all my own things, fabricate when necessary and cannot for the life of me figure this one out. I figure that maybe I've been looking at it too long and need to take a step back and ask a group of knowledgeable folks, so here I am. Very interested to see what you all think and hope it's something simple, so simple that I am just missing the obvious.

[IMG]20180708_223926 by Roger Bedard, on Flickr[/IMG]

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Those instructions are for the old style gray plastic shift handle and concealed side mount.
    Yours is the newer style BRP concealed side mount. Here is a link for the parts break down of your control box. You'll see that the outer release rod needs to come out and then your remove the two screws behind the release rod.
    https://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...4100&sid=64120

I'll give it a look/shot, thank you!
    Last edited by rlgdguy; 07-09-2018 at 05:48 PM.
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V

How in the world am I supposed to get this control box out from behind to change the throttle and shifter cables? How was it even put in, wow?
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It got in there it has to come out.
    Last edited by ChampioNman; 07-11-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlgdguy View Post
    How in the world am I supposed to get this control box out from behind to change the throttle and shifter cables? How was it even put in, wow?
    Disconnect the cables from the motor and tie strings to them so you can pull them back to the motor when done. The control will come out the front through the gunnel under the counsel.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Did your original control break? If so what part?
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

So I got the control box out relatively easy once I found the 2 screws and then the 4 screws that held it in place (Thanks ChampioNman!). Now I am having a heck of a time snaking the new wires down the gunnel. SO many wires in the way. Just have to take it slow and get a partner with patience to help me out. Thanks for the advice so far and will post results when done!
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Now that you got the box out, take the cables out of the box, tie a string on the box side and pull back towards the motor. It is easier to pull them back to the motor as the adjustment knob will get hung up on cables etc inside the boat. Use some electrical tape wrap it around the black plastic cable end and the cable casing itself this will keep the cable ends from extending. Install them in the control box then install the box and install then motor cables. If you need to mark one of the motor side cables for either shift or throttle so you know when you hook them up to the motor.

I used a fiberglass wire snaking tool and powdered up the electrical tape I used to secure it in place while I pulled it through. It was a bitch to get through, but I got it and installed the cables pretty quickly after that. I have YET to take it out on the water as this has been a tough fishing season for me, but the plan is for this upcoming weekend. It FEELS smooth and easier to push forward and back, but the proof will be in the pudding how it all comes together. Thanks for all the tips and pointers!
    Tight lines Y'all!

1989 Ranger 361V

14. Member
    Is there a manual or parts guide to the new brb concealed control shifter? I cant find one. I have a 1994 javelin 409t fish and ski with a Johnson 225 venom on the back. I bought the replacement shifter used and I'm not sure he sent me all of the parts for it. I also dont really know how to look up what size throttle cables I need. While I'm there I might as well replace them also.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

16. Member
    I'm about to do this very thing on my 1999 Stratos 201. I have enough cable to pull the box forward out of the gunnel. My question is "does the trunion P/N 126034 come with the assembly?" I have a hot foot and will need that as a spacer for the new control box.

Welcome the the BBC.

Not sure what part you are referring to as there is a trunion on most cables, I clicked on the link provided by Champ and I'm not seeing that part number any where on the parts list, maybe you could give us the item number from that link?
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwhitley View Post
    Thanks for the input. It is correct that I am going to have to replace the broken unit. The CSM is an old OMC Model and I have purchased a New Model From Evinrude BRP Part # 5006561 that has the Handle and complete plate/driveshaft. There is not an accessible hatch to get the old unit out and the new one in, I know some other model boats have a template of some sort that might show where to cut and replace with some sort of cover etc.
    That was what I was hoping to find some information that maybe someone had the same issues previously.
    I just replaced a Neutral Safety Switch on mine requiring access to the concealed mount on a Ranger 520. There was an access trim piece that was removed for easy access...

The neutral safety switch fixed yours?
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

20. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.shoemake View Post
    I'm about to do this very thing on my 1999 Stratos 201. I have enough cable to pull the box forward out of the gunnel. My question is "does the trunion P/N 126034 come with the assembly?" I have a hot foot and will need that as a spacer for the new control box.
    Don't know why you would need a spacer to install a hot foot, I'd just run a new cable for the hot foot and leave the existing throttle cable coiled up in the battery compartment for an emergency.

What style is your concealed side mount? the chrome metal handle or the gray/black plastic type handle with the push button in the center? The link I posted up was for the new style BRP concealed side mount non-Icon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12