Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Concealed Mount Control Box (OMC)

I need help in how to remove a Concealed Mount Control Box (OMC)
    Motor - ETec 250HO
    Boat - Stratos 201

See attached pictures of Throttle.

I believe you have to put the control arm in full reverse to access the 1/8" hex key set screw at the bottom of the control handle (180 degrees opposite of the handle). That should get you started. I sent you a pm. I have a copy of instructions that might match your CSM.

I am not a pro. One will be along soon, I'm sure.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 03-18-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You also need to carefully remove the rubber boot that covers the neutral lock out push button. Then you can remove the phillips head screw that holds the nylon button in. Once that is off and the lever is in full reverse as 86 says then the handle will come off. You can then remove the bezel that covers the rear screws for the control. You may have to disconnect the cables at the motor to get the needed room to move the control forward. Don't move the stud on the control box for the shift lever.

4. Member
    In addition,I was worried about how to get the newer concealed mount into the space and mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by bwhitley View Post
    In addition,I was worried about how to get the newer concealed mount into the space and mounted.
    email sent with installation/disassembly instructions for the older CSM.

Which CSM are you replacing it with.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 03-18-2017 at 09:17 PM.

I have a feeling you might be needing one of these...

Last edited by 86 inches; 03-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.

You're probably going to need this, as well.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    And here we go with the 20 question game again.

9. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    He's probably decided now to just keep what he has,lol

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    And here we go with the 20 question game again.
    After searching some of his previous posts, it appears that he just needs to replace a broken unit - pictured above - with a new unit and his concern is how to get the old one out and the new one in. I believe he has a 2008 stratos 201 with a 2014 Etec 250HO - Serial # 5401011, Model # E250HGLABB.

If that's the deal, then he won't need any of the things I posted. I don't know anything about Stratos boats but his CSM looks like an OMC model and there should be some access to the rear of the mounting surface. I think he's just going to have to look around. Maybe pull the seats to look for an access hatch. Maybe ask on the Stratos forum.

I did send him a copy of instructions from my service manual with a very similar CSM remote control unit.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Ain't much to the CSM of that vintage. Most times on that style is either the cable post breaks of the clamp that attaches the cable to the plate breaks. Guys, try and be a moderator and answer posts all day and sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get to the root cause of the issue. It makes it a lot easier when all the info is provided in the original post. We don't have a extraordinary amount of free time to check each poster's previous posts and cover the rest and do our real jobs. Remember we do this for free and donate our time.

I try to help out when it's something I know about... which isn't often

Sometimes it's something you've already taught us and I'll chime in. If I get it right, it helps if you just give it a That way the guy asking the question will know you looked over the advice and agree.

I hope that saves you some time.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 03-19-2017 at 10:31 AM.

13. Member
    Thanks for the input. It is correct that I am going to have to replace the broken unit. The CSM is an old OMC Model and I have purchased a New Model From Evinrude BRP Part # 5006561 that has the Handle and complete plate/driveshaft. There is not an accessible hatch to get the old unit out and the new one in, I know some other model boats have a template of some sort that might show where to cut and replace with some sort of cover etc.
    That was what I was hoping to find some information that maybe someone had the same issues previously.

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    I try to help out when it's something I know about... which isn't often

Sometimes it's something you've already taught us and I'll chime in. If I get it right, it helps if you just give it a That way the guy asking the question will know you looked over the advice and agree.

I hope that saves you some time.
    No worries, if one of us gives bad info the gurus will correct it when they see it. Be glad, I usually get smacked....or told to get my dunce hat!!

If we give good info, they will leave it as is....

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Thanks for the input. It is correct that I am going to have to replace the broken unit. The CSM is an old OMC Model and I have purchased a New Model From Evinrude BRP Part # 5006561 that has the Handle and complete plate/driveshaft. There is not an accessible hatch to get the old unit out and the new one in, I know some other model boats have a template of some sort that might show where to cut and replace with some sort of cover etc.
    That was what I was hoping to find some information that maybe someone had the same issues previously.
    Post a picture of your console area please hard to believe that Stratos puts in a control box in the top cap and then puts the cap in the boat with no way of removing. You could call Stratos or C&O marine's service department and ask them how to remove and replace it.

16. Member
    I just did this on my 1989 285 Pro. I had to lay in the floor under console to get it installed. I could reach back in there to get hold of it. I bet you will have to take shift and throttle cables loose at motor so they can come forward with shifter. They fasten on back side and no way I could have done it with one hand in that little space.
    2000 STRATOS 20SS EXTREME
    2011 EVINRUDE ETEC 250 HO
    HELIX 10 AND 12 SI
    10' BLADES
    ULTREX/ I PILOT LINK
    HUMMINBIRD 360

There has to be access to behind the mounting surface. They sure as heck didn't squeeze the original control box thru a 2.75" hole.

There was a thread in the Stratos section a few years back asking the same thing on a 2007 Stratos 201. It was rumored that the access panel was under the console. (That's where access is on my Champ) Perhaps the guy asking the question figured it out and would post his solution to the forum to help others faced with the same problem. How about it member banana0721...

When you do figure it out, if you're going to replace it with one of the newer CSM remote controls, you will probably have to enlarge your original hole .... the newer ones use something like a 2.9" hole. You will need the hole enlarger shown above and a hole saw the size of your existing hole and one for the new CSM... a 3" works. You may or may not need the adapter cover plate shown above. I needed it with mine because the original installation had some funky stuff going on there that needed to be covered.

When you get done it will look something like this

This is a CSM for a G2. The CSM you will use for your motor has a different control box and the control arm is a little different but it uses a similar mount as in the first pic.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    That is the ICON control box. You can use that on the G1 also with the ICON gauges.

20. Member
    I just did a stratos and you have to take both cables loose (tie a string to them) then take the mounting screws loose at the mount ring/plate, slide the thing forward to the opening under the right side beneath console. It helps to use your arm to reach into this space to move the wires out of the way
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast