Thread: Foam in tins

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Well it's holding more water then I thought. You can see the discoloration that's all water. When squeezing a piece like this you get about a quarter cup of water out of it and it still soaked. Just taking out this 5 inch run a foam. Takes out about 10 pounds of weight because of the water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Well this is as much as I could leave that wasn't wet. The places that looks like there is leftover mashed potatoes on a dinner plate is the wet areas. Up to about 4 to 5 inches off the bottom and totally soaked. The one thing that's really funny I know there's no floor and deck on the front, and no fishing gear in it. But I can totally pick the front of this boat and trailer tongue off of my jackstands with one hand. So now I have to be careful it's not going to sit back on the motor keel. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    Can you account for how/why the water was in the hull ???
    Removing that much weight, it will feel like you have added
    extra HP. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    Can you account for how/why the water was in the hull ???
    Removing that much weight, it will feel like you have added
    extra HP. LDS
    Yes it's just the way the foam was put in. It's in sealed off areas that can't drain by the foam blocking the escape avenues to the bottom of the hull. I mentioned that this boat has not been wet for some time. Which is really surprising me to find this. I've owned the boat for almost 4 years now. And it has only been in the rain twice. First year was a rainstorm on the way home from fishing. Last spring I fished eight hours in a slow but steady light rain. Now my wife fishes with me quite abit. And she is prone to diving in the water to cool off at least once or twice a day. But that's totally in the back of the boat. And her little butt with a bikini. Really doesn't bring much water on board. So I'm anxious to see what I will find in the back. The two sections a foam that is left. Will get a good coating of sealer on them. To try to keep the water out of it. Then I plan on making foam pods. With aluminum door screen. So that they will set off the bottom and have air to travel all around. I plan on making these not tight to conform with the compartment as I can with only a half inch to inch of clearance all around. This will actually have more foam then was in the boat. But when the water comes in it will just run right around and write out the back with no bulkheads of foam. To slow it down.

I have one chunk about 6 x 6" in a bowl. Just to see how long it will take to drain any if all the water out of it. It's sitting up off the bottom so there's no reason for it not to find its lowest level and fall out LOL.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

5. Banned
    Wow! Probably a good thing you're pulling it. I take back my suggestion for just filling in the low spots

As you can see the stuff is a mess.

lol, that's supposed to be flotation lol

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

7. Member
    What was the reason to start tearing down your boat? Did u think it was waterlogged?

Quote Originally Posted by Loweman11 View Post
    What was the reason to start tearing down your boat? Did u think it was waterlogged?
    I was just going to recarpet and some upgrades. But when taking the decks off, is when I found the water in the foam. Boy was I surprised. This boat is garage kept.

So now Iam just going to do a makeover. With no carpet.

This isn't just my boat Iam afraid. Its going to be every tin boat with close cell foam. That is sealed in areas that can't drain.

Best thing is not to look, if you don't want to know lol.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

9. Member
    The Thriving Metropolis of Huntsville, Alabama
    Pardon my ignorance but I thought closed cell foam was just that closed cell i.e. each cell is closed thus preventing, in this case water, from transferring to other cells. Yes there is air in the cells that allows the foam to float. If the foam takes on water what prevents the boat from sinking if a puncture occurs in the hull? The boat seems as though it has not been in the water long. I would be more concern as to how the water got there in the first place i.e. a seam that is not as sealed completely. Again I am quailifying myself as being ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by papafrancisco View Post
    Pardon my ignorance but I thought closed cell foam was just that closed cell i.e. each cell is closed thus preventing, in this case water, from transferring to other cells. Yes there is air in the cells that allows the foam to float. If the foam takes on water what prevents the boat from sinking if a puncture occurs in the hull? The boat seems as though it has not been in the water long. I would be more concern as to how the water got there in the first place i.e. a seam that is not as sealed completely. Again I am quailifying myself as being ignorant.
    I can't disagree. I've always thought the same about closed cell foam. When I leave the ramp. I always pull the plug. And never get water coming out. Once in awhile I'll get a trickle if I've came off plane to fast. And get water over the transom. The water was up high in the bow. With some of the foam not wet that was lower. Don't think I have a leak. Like I mentioned, it's in areas that giving a escape route I don't believe there would be any water.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    I was just going to recarpet and some upgrades. But when taking the decks off, is when I found the water in the foam. Boy was I surprised. This boat is garage kept.

So now Iam just going to do a makeover. With no carpet.

This isn't just my boat Iam afraid. Its going to be every tin boat with close cell foam. That is sealed in areas that can't drain.

Best thing is not to look, if you don't want to know lol.

Forgive me if I missed it, but what year is your boat?

12. Member
    Seems possible the boat sat uncovered on a factory/dealer lot for awhile, maybe with the plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Forgive me if I missed it, but what year is your boat?

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Seems possible the boat sat uncovered on a factory/dealer lot for awhile, maybe with the plug in.
    No, the first owner didn't use it much. And garage kept. I've had it almost 4 years. And it's garage kept. In a temperature controlled somewhat. Last spring I fished one day in the rain. Enough that 8 hours later, nearing time to go. My wife said there's water coming out of the drain in the cockpit floor. Open the bilge hatch and water was halfway up my batteries. Turn the pump on, and it pumped up to 3-4mins. Before going dry. Fished some more then went to the ramp. On deep slant ramp pulled plug and about a gallon of water came out. Got home opened up all compartments, set bow high as it will go on dolly. And it drained in a bucket about 3 more gallons in 4 days before it stopped. Used the boat rest of the summer with no water in the boat. Always dry out of the plug at the ramp.

Guys the foam in the back is dry. Just 1 sealed area under the console. 1 sealed spot in the middle of the passenger side between seat and front deck. And most up front in bow where the foam filled the bottom of the hull. I will be putting water in the boat at level to look for leaks. But not expecting to find any. Because not having had any problems with water being in the boat the rest of the summer, and going in the fall.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

15. Banned
    Start by filling the hull with water to check for leaks, once you have the foam cleaned out.
    Closed cell foam has gotten a lot better over the years. It won't be cheap to redo it, but at this point your all in.

Edit I see you said that already. Doh....

You could have a small leak in the bow that only dribbles in when your standing up there. So be thorough in your search. I would have a welder fix any weld that looks suspect.

Also when I got that far on my rebuild of a Smoker Craft. It was the perfect time to get a new paint job. Or even a touch up.
    Last edited by mrc.in.wi; 03-20-2017 at 05:39 AM.

16. Member
    I have a neighbor who fishes out of a War Eagle boat and we had the front deck out of it to add some extra seat bases in it for spider rigging. I was surprised to see what was in it for floatation foam. The foam was the white styrofoam that cheap coolers are made of. It was about 2" thick and it was broken and cut into random shaped pieces so that it loosely fit into the areas between the bracing under the floors. There was plenty of room for any water that got into the boat to drain between the pieces and make its way to the bilge. After seeing the issue you're having I think War Eagle may have a good way to prevent the water from being trapped in the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    I have a neighbor who fishes out of a War Eagle boat and we had the front deck out of it to add some extra seat bases in it for spider rigging. I was surprised to see what was in it for floatation foam. The foam was the white styrofoam that cheap coolers are made of. It was about 2" thick and it was broken and cut into random shaped pieces so that it loosely fit into the areas between the bracing under the floors. There was plenty of room for any water that got into the boat to drain between the pieces and make its way to the bilge. After seeing the issue you're having I think War Eagle may have a good way to prevent the water from being trapped in the hull.
    I've seen this before to. I know this wouldn't have happened if only they would of left a channel down the keel of the boat. And left some drain holes on the box beams. Those beams are welded full length. So water has to travel the length of the boat instead of running down to the Center Kiel and out.

mrc,
    i do plan on painting. And much more thanks. I will be coating the inside of the hull to. After a battery of test. To insure she'll be around a good long time.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    After seeing the issue you're having I think War Eagle may have a good way to prevent the water from being trapped in the hull.
    Yes at no place under the floor of a War Eagle will you see a complete fill so it will drain water. ALL of the boats that use "closed" cell foam under their floors will have the same problem as this boat does. And it doesn't take long for it to happen. I've seen it in an Xpress that was not 2 years old. And please don't start with "Ranger uses a better foam"...that's funny.

19. Member
    gatorglenn...look for any white areas where the foam was holding water. Most times in those areas the water/"closed" cell foam causes deterioration of the aluminum and can cause pin holes or sometimes larger. I once removed a floor from a 12 year old Aluma-Weld and once the "closed" cell foam was removed the entire bottom of the hull had to be replaced. You could easily push a screw driver through the aluminum. Now I know that was a differrent "closed" cell foam back then. But even with the changes with the foam, they ALL absorb water.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_3272 View Post
    gatorglenn...look for any white areas where the foam was holding water. Most times in those areas the water/"closed" cell foam causes deterioration of the aluminum and can cause pin holes or sometimes larger. I once removed a floor from a 12 year old Aluma-Weld and once the "closed" cell foam was removed the entire bottom of the hull had to be replaced. You could easily push a screw driver through the aluminum. Now I know that was a differrent "closed" cell foam back then. But even with the changes with the foam, they ALL absorb water.
    Everything I have found, as for as the metal goes. Looks to be in great shape. I do think this is from the rain day last spring.

The 6x6" piece of foam that weighs about 3lbs. Full of water, has only dropped 2 drops out in two days. If this was in one of those squared holes in the box beams and tight. I can see how it would never dry out.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast