Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    if you spend 80k on a boat I say get what you want :-) but. Still think Phoenix is a better boat No issues with any of the above mentioned. Both good boats but BC not for me
    Risen From The Ashes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix919 View Post
    I looked at both boats and made a list of a few things, I am sure both boats are great, and I spent hours crawling thru both. These items are only based on my personal observations and do not mean one is better than another just that the 919 was a better fit for me.

• The Phoenix dealer in my area is the best in the business hands down over the BC dealer
    • I wanted a G2 and again the Phoenix dealer was far Superior in skills with that engine
    • When I looked at both boats I found the 919 a better fit and finish
    • The latches on the BC looked cheap
    • I liked the aluminum fuel cell in the 919
    • I did like the BC carpet better
    • I liked the BC trailer rims better
    • I liked the live well systems better in the 919
    • The BC dash did not impress me, but I did like the fact that there was more fiberglass in the BC dash
    • The round clear tube handles by the console sides looked cheap
    • I have not ridden in the BC but the 919 is a solid and fast hull with speeds more than 70 which is plenty fast for me
    • The BC trailer had a weird design that makes you disconnect the bow strap when using the swing tongue
    • I found the triangular live well lids strange to me
    • Tim and Jeff at the Phoenix office are amazing to deal with
    Just the first couple of things you listed would weigh heavily in choosing the Phoenix.

There are several things I don't like on my '14 Puma but I do like the:

SS SouthCo latches - never had an issue, though the SS will get hot, which is why they now use draw latches to prevent heat transfer into the livewells and coolers. I do like the slam latches you don't have to turn to open like Phoenix uses.

Clear grab handles - they have prevented me falling on concrete twice when climbing out over the side. The handle supported nearly my entire weight while I was hanging from it. Being clear, allows internal lighting for added side visibility at dark while on the water or trailering, and also adds bling with the visible logo lit up inside it.

All fiberglass console - who prefers plastic? The open area under it, while not looking as finished as the Phoenix fiberglass encasement offers more leg room.

Swing tongue trailer - the winch stand and bow stand are separate. The winch stand and grab pole with steps are structurally welded together for added combined strength. That necessitates having to unhook the strap when swinging the tongue, since the winch stand is on the swing tongue.

I liked most of what I saw of Phoenix boats the last time I was boat shopping and would consider both Phoenix and Basscat if I buy another last boat.

basscat handle lit.JPG
    Last edited by mossie3; 09-16-2019 at 10:19 PM.

3. Member
    I love my Caracal’s layout, speed, fit and finish is fantastic, and all the little details. I like the Phoenix too but the thing I couldn’t get over is all the cheap plastic and components. The inside reminded me of my crappy Nitro Z-9 I had only the ride is immeasurably better.

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Had a BCB and now in a Phoenix. Both great boats but BCB is better. Better quality, better company and much much better trailer but I like the layout of my Phoenix better
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    Had both models and am currently back in a Cat. I do like the classic layout of the compartments in the Phoenix. The Phoenix definitely has a soft landing, that is ultimately why I decided to get one in the first place. I wholeheartedly believe that the BC in the end is built better and will last longer. From the trailer, to every other component, and when it does not, I know BC will stand by the product. Not saying that Phoenix would not. But I think we can all agree that the Marine Master trailer or whatever Phoenix is using, is ultimately garbage. Exactly why Skeeter is now making their own trailers.

6. Member
    You will get many mixed reviews of both the Phoenix and BCB. They both make excellent rigs.
    In my area the BCB and Phoenix boats lead in sales. There are more of them than Skeeters or Rangers.

I believe the only misconception I will correct from previous comments is about the BCB live wells. They work. Period. They are very deep. You better have cull tags or you will need a snorkel. The spray bars used keep the water oxygenated. They are designed that way for a reason. When I weigh my fish, regardless of how hot temps are, the person weighing always comments "damn BCB Live wells"! Its because my fish are always flopping and wont keep still.

With that said, you can't go wrong with either brand boat. FISH and DRIVE them both if possible. Its your money. Neither is cheap. Enjoy your new rig regardless of brand purchased.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    I say this every time this comes up. Both great boats but go sit and move around not fish just sit and you will prefer one over the other. To me I love just about everything on the cat but they don't fit my style mainly to tall of steps and to tight between the consoles, it would be Pheonix for me.
    I wish I had done this though many gave me this advice. I'm one of the rare ones, I'm not a big fan of the huge front center compartment. The huge front deck is nice if fishing two up front. But I liked the old Ranger layout where the center of the front deck was set back from the console. On all Phoenix's the deck goes straight across at the console so you can't sit down with the front compartment open when retying. I know a lot of boats are like this and a day box on the driver side would help, but I liked being able to sit in the center while retying. If I had sat in different layouts I may have realized this, or determined it wasn't as big a deal as I was making it out to be.

Trailers don't compare. I've had annoying issues with the MarineMaster from day one. Biggest one being I have brakes applying only on one side of the trailer and the crappy ground scheme makes for headaches.

As was said, time for fishing is precious as you get older.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

To me it depends upon how long you plan to keep the boat. If you plan on keeping it a decade or more, go with the Cat. The better build quality pays for itself over time. In the short term, go with the better price point.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

9. Member
    I looked at Phoenix after I sold my first Cat. The dealer, who, at the time, sold both BCB and Phoenix, flat out told me that Cat was a better built boat. Besides which, I had two Marine Master trailers on other bass boats, and was less than impressed with their quality. One actually gave me some real issues. The BCB trailer is one of the best built trailers around, and, IMO, people do not pay enough attention to what their boat sits on.

Both great boats though. Nice to have choices. As mentioned, best way to choose is to fish out of both if possible.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    I had a 920 Phoenix I’m now in a Caracal and love it great riding boat and it’s plenty fast. The build quality is way better in a BCB. Both companies have great CS. I’m not going to go into the whole ordeal but after Basscat did what they did for me I won’t ever own anything else atleast as long as Rick is around anyways.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prairiehawg View Post
    Personal preference.
    That is a beautiful boat! What is the Bass Cat color code for that combo?

12. Member
    I looked close at the basscat loved it but the deal breaker for me was how high the step to the front deck is. Im a trim carpenter and have built a lot if stairs and I know anything over around 7 and 1/2 is uncomfortable I bet the cat is 9 anyone that has one can chime in but it's a tall step.

13. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    Guy in my club has a 2016 919 ProXP w/ 225 G2. Compared to my Triton and another guys z19c Ranger it rides rough. I haven't been in a Basscat to compare.
    I'm gonna say this might have to do with driver input. Trimmed up right at the right speed and that 919 hull rides soft in choppy water.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

14. Member
    Go with the one that you can't wait to go look at it every day , even if it's just sitting in the garage .

15. Member
    I've been looking too, the Basscat I road in a large front deck, fit and finish was top notch, the seats very uncomfortable in my opinion

16. Member
    When I was at the 2017 Bass Masters Classic in Houston my wife and I looked at phoenix and basscat and liked both boats but phoenix needs to step up their game on their trailers, exactly why we bought a Ranger z521c and all boats have likes and dislikes and on basscat it was the leg room behind the console that didn't work for me I loved both builds and found a slower more comfortable boat. but they are not off my radar just until basscat brings more legroom and phoenix brings a better trailer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234