Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Looked at both this weekend at a boat show and for sure out of these two it would be BCB and not even close, the Phoenix gel coat and the classic emblem is not for me and the fit and finish and the dash and the hardware is not impressive at all. I tried to look online at build videos and Phoenix did not have any real good ones like BCB and Ranger does explaining everything from start to finish.
    PROS: The front deck layout on the Caracal is very nice, lots of storage, I am intrigued by the trolling motor petal being so far forward but would really need to fish out of one to make sure, I like the gas tank options even though I am not a big fan of the gas tanks in the back for some reason next to the batteries, I like the way the lights come on in the compartments when you open but would not apply to me because I mainly fish when it is daylight anyway, I think I would like the rear storage area opening up to the back for working on things and the fact that it will lay all the way down for when on the water would be a plus.
    CONS: The layout on the back deck is weird to say the least and that is where BCB would have lost me, the famous triangle live wells and compartments look terrible, offset seats and if there is a passenger console are weird and the passenger rod locker is a waist, too many drink holders not sure why you need so many drink holders there are two on the back deck, rope tie-downs for a high in BCB boat to have these types for the cost is beyond me, old style chrome vents, compartment lids riveted. Console and Dash are I am neutral.
    Watched the owner build video and it was very detailed and nice and if I was not a Ranger fan it would be BCB for sure but still have not seen anything that would cause me to leave Ranger.
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

2. Member
    I know some folks don't like the layouts of some of the Cat boats because they're not symmetrical but I personally like the fact that they aim for the layout to be functional over symmetrical. So it's always good to have options. Some people like the standard layout that is with most bass boats and some like Caracal layout

3. Member
    I agree with Tyler buy what you like.

I dont get the layout on the BCB. The triangle livewells are just stupid and limit the visibility into the well, instead of a nice squareshape where the long edge is right up against you when you open it, allowing full visibility, without even being right over the top. I never understood why any boat builder would make the back hatch open from the back. Your inside the boat, on the water, and you have to
    open and reach over the lid to get in there. Plus working on it in the garage you cant even lay on the back deck on your belly to get down in there without laying on the lid. And why would they offer a steering wheel that wasnt round? Your going to make a turn and your opposite hand catches one of the corners and stops the wheel
    from moving. Just dumb

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    I dont get the layout on the BCB. The triangle livewells are just stupid and limit the visibility into the well, instead of a nice squareshape where the long edge is right up against you when you open it, allowing full visibility, without even being right over the top. I never understood why any boat builder would make the back hatch open from the back. Your inside the boat, on the water, and you have to
    open and reach over the lid to get in there. Plus working on it in the garage you cant even lay on the back deck on your belly to get down in there without laying on the lid. And why would they offer a steering wheel that wasnt round? Your going to make a turn and your opposite hand catches one of the corners and stops the wheel
    from moving. Just dumb
    My lids remove and install very easy in about a half second and it's easy to lay and work in the bilge area so why would anyone want to lay over them. Also the steering wheel reminds me of a race car wheel which has a purpose. At high speed I'm not making huge adjustments and want to maintain a good grip which the cats wheel does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
    My lids remove and install very easy in about a half second and it's easy to lay and work in the bilge area so why would anyone want to lay over them. Also the steering wheel reminds me of a race car wheel which has a purpose. At high speed I'm not making huge adjustments and want to maintain a good grip which the cats wheel does.
    You still have to reach over or around them when on the water and you want to quickly get in there. But I guess you could take them off and set them on front deck if you have an issue on the water. A step that is completely unnecessary if they opened the other direction. Nascar drivers have a round steering wheel and they are only making small adjustments to the wheel.

7. Member
    My rear compartment lid folds flat with no issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomworms View Post
    My rear compartment lid folds flat with no issues?
    So you gonna kneel on them to work in there or go through the completely unnecessary step of removing them so you can lay and work in there?

9. Member
    So you gonna kneel on them to work in there or go through the completely unnecessary step of removing them so you can lay and work in there?

You obviously have never had a BCB based on you comments.

Ive worked on plenty of BCB. That back hatch is a deal breaker. It opens from the back so its inherintly in the way when you open it. You have to look over or around it. If you want it to lay flat, take the seat out so it will fold all the way over and lay flat. Makes no sense. When im in the boat the compartment should
    open and I should be able to see in there without looking over the hatch. Ive been in bassboats since the seventies and this one perplexes me everytime I see it.

11. Member
    We agree to disagree, I love the fact that it opens to the rear and in 1.5 seconds it removes completely.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    The boats are similar the companies both are fantastic. But the layout is night and day. If you like the Phoenix Layout get phoenix, if you like that goofy layout bass cat has than go basscat. You cant go wrong with either as far as after the sale. I've never owned a cat but I just read about their customer service and it sounds a lot like Phoenix. The bass cat is probably faster but I bet the phoenix has a softer ride and still a 75mph boat.
    919 with a 225 G2 is closer to an 80 mph boat. They're fast hulls, but they don't ride very smooth in the rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomworms View Post
    We agree to disagree, I love the fact that it opens to the rear and in 1.5 seconds it removes completely.
    To each his own. But it had to be removable because the design puts it in the way.

To each his own. But it had to be removable because the design puts it in the way.

from moving. Just dumb
    You absolutely can lay down on the back deck and work on them since the lid is completely removable. Takes literally one second.

I understand its removable. My point is, your on the water, you have an issue, you open it and have to look over it. Unless you remove the rear seat, which then it will lay flat. Then in order to get in the compartment your kneeling or laying on it when its laying flat, unless you remove it and set it on the front deck out of the way, but you already moved the seat up there or put it in the main floor pedestal hole. Which in that case now you have a clusterf*^*%# of seats up front and you have to set the rear lid up there too. Lots of stuff you dont have to do if the compartment opens the other way. If your in the garage, not a big deal, remove it and work. Im talking about being on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Riccochet View Post
    919 with a 225 G2 is closer to an 80 mph boat. They're fast hulls, but they don't ride very smooth in the rough.
    You're the first person I've ever heard say that Phoenix rides rough.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    also that the 919 is More of an 80mph boat that 75mph?????

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Guy in my club has a 2016 919 ProXP w/ 225 G2. Compared to my Triton and another guys z19c Ranger it rides rough. I haven't been in a Basscat to compare.

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    also that the 919 is More of an 80mph boat that 75mph?????
    I can only go by how my friends 919 goes. Both he and I in it we hit just a hair over 78. He's maxed out by himself at just over 79. We're not heavy people, so no 500 lbs worth of guys in it. And he's not the type of person to take all of Basspro with him in his boat. Other people's mileage may vary. Hell, we GPS'd my other friends Z519c w/ 225 ProXS at 75 MPH. Both boats have worked props.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast