Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.coon View Post
    just measured the nose to console on my champion 187 and it came out to 9'4". this confirms my suspicions that most of the new boats have short front decks. this is very disappointing and takes the caracal off my list. i want a foot longer boat but not one with a shorter front deck than what i already have.

You our need to go stand on the desk of a Caracal. The deck on that boat are bigger than most 20-21 foot boats
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Trying to get rear storage, today's required level flotation and needed fuel in the back of one can be a different challenge than a 187 time frame found.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Trying to get rear storage, today's required level flotation and needed fuel in the back of one can be a different challenge than a 187 time frame found.
    makes sense, is the caracal 19'8" from nose to transom or from the nose to the sponsons?
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

Overall length.

OMG. just stumbled into this post. Just traded 2012 BC Eyra for new Ranger 521 L. Youngins, I live at LOZ, there is no such thing as soft riding Bass Boat. Don't toot your horn and try to blow smoke. They all ride good on slick water. I can tell you first hand the difference between Bass Cat and Ranger 521 L. I fished my Cat on LOZ in Dec 2017 in 35 mph wind and was dry. Soft ride-hell no. Dry-hell yes. Fished new Ranger is 20 mph wind. Rides good, got wet! I think the 521 might ride a bit better than the Eyra in rough water, it's a bigger boat and has more keel in the water. Had my Cat for 6 years, never got wet. With a Cat the weight is more in the rear, you can get the bow up-or lift and come about in 3 footers. Ranger has more weight forward, bow doesn't lift-gonna get wet. So if argument is soft ride, Bass Cat Vs Phoenix. No such thing as soft riding bass boat on rough water. Think your Phoenix is soft, bring her down to LOZ and go home with bruised ovaries. As far as dry-Bass Cat is driest rig I ever had! The Ranger might be a softer ride.

^^^^^^Nice recap, seems honest & fair for both boats
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    There is a such thing as a softer riding boat don’t think there ain’t.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoon78 View Post
    There is a such thing as a softer riding boat don’t think there ain’t.
    Yep their are difference's in the landing of the different bass boats. I have had both 521 and 522 Rangers and the Phoenix is much softer ride then Ranger in rough water ride. I have been 20-25 MPH wind with gust of 25-35. The Phoenix will land soft when driven right. I have not been in but a couple BC and that was years ago and can't remember what the ride was like but neither day was real rough. Go drive and ride and you will see the difference don't let people talk you into or out of any boat before you check it out your self. Their are differences. Good Luck either boat would be a great boat.

The guy above is right the Ranger is not a dry boat and it will bruise your kidneys and back in rough water. Their is a reason the back Dr calls the back problem the Ranger Back.

All ride comparisons have to be done at the same speeds. If one is running 50 and the other one 40 in rough water, then 40 has an edge. Run them both 50 before any comparisons are made on any ride. If one runs 70 plus, and the other tops out in the 60's, then that's no fair comparison no matter the brands.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 06-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.

10. Member
    All ride comparisons have to be done at the same speeds. If one is running 50 and the other one 40 in rough water, then 40 has an edge. Run them both 50 before any comparisons are made on any ride. If one runs 70 plus, and the other tops out in the 60's, then that's no fir comparison no matter the brands.
    I agree but who would be running 70MPH in a 20-25 MPH wind with it gusting to 25-30 MPH I never wanted to run 70 MPH in a true 25 MPH wind

Soft riding boat on LOZ, yes-50' Sea Ray.

12. Scraps
    Is it me or does the Caracal sit a little lower/flatter in the water compared to other Cats???
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

In our opinion your right in flatter, though not necessarily lower. The hull is a deeper Vee than other BCB models.

Another interesting observation on this topic is the sides of our hulls. Bass Cat models also float shallower than some because of the bottom width. Standing at the rear you can see how vertical the hull sides are going to the bow. Many other brands touting wide hulls have most of that width in tapering the sides out in a wedge, while a Bass Cat is more vertical.

It's seen from the front also, as well as standing away from the boat rear forwards. This gives you a more stable platform to fish from.

There's a reason the Bass Cat fender areas have a cut out for clearance on the hulls, while the trailers are 1/8" inside of 102" maximum width.

BCB
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 02-18-2018 at 07:41 AM.

14. Scraps
    Regardless, I like the way it sits in the water. Flatter like a Ranger.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    Overall length.
    thanks, so in essence the 919 phoenix and the caracal are only 6 or 7 inches longer than my current rig. that means i would have to look at puma/cougar or eyra. i think one of those would be a better fit for me anyway as they have a narrower beam.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.coon View Post
    thanks, so in essence the 919 phoenix and the caracal are only 6 or 7 inches longer than my current rig. that means i would have to look at puma/cougar or eyra. i think one of those would be a better fit for me anyway as they have a narrower beam.
    Don’t let the 19’8” of the Caracal shy you away the boat fishes and feels like most 20-21 footers.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

17. Member
    To the guys out there that think they have a smooth riding bassboat take your boat to LOZ for a weekend fishing trip find fish about20 miles or more from pp2 . Then you will know what rough water is . I have fished dozens of tournaments there . I have a place on Kentucky lake For the last 15 years now . I have been on Kentucky lake on some bad days and it will never be as bad as lake of the Ozarks .

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    To the guys out there that think they have a smooth riding bassboat take your boat to LOZ for a weekend fishing trip find fish about20 miles or more from pp2 . Then you will know what rough water is . I have fished dozens of tournaments there . I have a place on Kentucky lake For the last 15 years now . I have been on Kentucky lake on some bad days and it will never be as bad as lake of the Ozarks .
    What does this have to do with this thread? Yes we know LOZ has huge yachts and speed boats that make the lake have the wash board effect with waves bounces off the sides and huge waves. That has nothing to do with whether one boat can have a better ride then another based off of the hull features. The different hulls are designed for certain things and to be better at something over others. I am guessing LOZ will not hold a candle to the Atlanta ocean in a hurricane either but that doesn't have anything to do with this threat either. The guy wanted to know whether a BC Caracal or 919 had a better ride ride that's it. I do not think the majority of people on here will ever see LOZ so it really doesn't matter how rough you think it is because that doesn't answer their question anyway. The different bass boats do have different features that make that brand more popular to people. Their is no prefect bass boat but every boat has its own features that make people buy them. I hope the OP gets the boat he wants and enjoys it for a long time where ever he is going to fish. I guess if it is as bad as you say I would just fish somewhere else or quit fishing.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp71291 View Post
    If you think your champion has more deck space from a sq footage perspective then you are very wrong. The caracal has so much more room than any Champion of comparable size.
    I didn't say anything about the area of the deck. i was asking about length, which to me, is more important.

There are several ways to view length. Bass Cat made a decision years ago to add a jack plate on most boats standard. That makes the back of the plate where boats in the 1980's were focused on transom. Coming forward to today, some brands use a very significant offset on their transoms to make boats longer. This area is measured into the OA length and really is of almost no use on that area, whereas a Bass Cat and some others have offsets outside the engine that do add significantly to the rear deck area and this is usable. One company did an offset and claimed no need for a jackplate, though as performance was found to need a plate on newer designs, thus they eventually incorporated that on an existing design as a standard item.

A major offset focused only on the center 25-30" of a transom area lends little to a function of a rear deck, other than protecting splashwell space. The reality of length is there are several ways to view it and it depends on your view.

Measuring total length is a larger topic than a tape measure.

BCB

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast