Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1. Member
    The carcal has a spacer that can be removed to move the TM pedal back for old dudes like me. Btw the boat fishes pretty darn good!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 921 View Post
    interesting I always wonder how they really fished.
    It was a hard decision to go down in size but after getting in the Caracal and seeing how much room it had for a 19’8” boat I was impressed and had to give it a go.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    No, they don’t. Not if driven with some degree of driver knowledge and common sense with relation to the conditions and situation.
    This... Who in the hell is driving these things so poorly that they are 'hooking' constantly??? I've had my Puma for over a year without issue.

The previous owner made it a point to explain to me what not to do in order to avoid this issue - basically gradual inputs (Throttle/steering) when on the pad or starting to get on the pad... I understand that maybe not every BCB driver has been made aware of this potential performance issue.

Trim it down to come off the pad a little quicker than easing off the throttle, but don't just 'lift the throttle' when on the pad. Don't be on the pad when attempting to cross another's wake. Don't be on pad when things are 'sketchy' in the slightest.

We have some guys down in this area that seem to wreck a boat every other year. If you use some common sense while operating any boat or any other piece of equipment, you'll be fine. If you drive it like a chimp smoking crack, your boat will quickly become a monkey killing machine.

Ease into things and get lots of 'seat time' before operating anything 'at the limit' of its performance capabilities. Use your head and play it safe. It ain't worth dying for.
    Last edited by rabidsquirrel; 01-17-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    Sincerely,

Shawn Cartwright
    AKA "rabidsquirrel"

Check out my Bass Fishing Team's blog: http://cartwrightrealtyfishingteam.wordpress.com/

Running the right tires off the edge of the road in your vehicle at over 60-65 MPH can be catastrophic. No matter the situation in a boat like the now famous Collegiate anglers video, these toys need moderation. Just like a UTV/ATV, most accidents are user oriented. A crotch rocket (low style motorcycle) cranking 80 MPH on a highway is seen as careless as well.

Boats that are capable of going 75 to 80 MPH require common sense in their use, just like your vehicle(s). It amazes us at how many people we see talk about a vehicle going 80 on a two lane road as a really careless act, then that same person discuss driving a boat 80 as if they are in total control.

There is a lot more going on in a boat at 80 than a vehicle on a controlled access, smooth highway traveling 80 MPH without wakes, there are multiple forces and variables a boat has.

This thread took a turn to user and issues and much because of those recent incidents that have unfortunately involved a co-angler. Being on the water requires responsibility and the decisions or actions we take on the water can impact lives. Make good decisions, follow safe practices and don't exceed your ability to understand operation.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 01-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.

5. Member
    You have to respect anything or it will hurt or kill you.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

Any brand boat run in it's upper 1/3 of capabilities can be "hooked". Experienced drivers who make a wrong split second decision given conditions have it happen to them.... Anything a engineer / brand does to make one lift and run makes it all the more able to do an unexpected pirouette. No person or brand is immune. The very act of running a boat at the limits of it's capabilities is trying to harness chaos and control the uncontrollable. Accidents happen.

7. Scraps
    Looks to me like the Caracal sits a little flatter in the, at least compared to my 819. At least this is the way I saw it with big JP DeRose in his Caracal.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    the video posted of "hooking" was due to a steering cable malfunction. I seem to be in the minority here but when I was looking at boats the 919 and caracal is what it came down to, I liked the layout of the 919 better. IMO there may be more storage on the caracal but I just didnt prefer the layout, and if I cant figure out what the fish want with what I carry in the 919 then I shouldnt be fishing lol it holds way more than I will ever use in one day I also like the fact that all of my tackle is right in front of me while searching for things and I dont have to look in multiple compartments. I also compared price when looking and everywhere I called the Caracal was ROUGHLY 10K more than ordering a 919 the way I wanted it. Fit and finish on both boats is the best in the industry IMO, no one else comes close to these two brands. Either choice you make im sure you will be pleased with but these are just some of the reasons I went with the 919
    2017 Phoenix 919 ProXP 225 Mercury ProXS

Thank you for considering a Bass Cat and we do understand that our product is not the least expensive in the market. VE resins alone are a significant percentage in the price tag difference and everything adds up.

BCB

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinKS22 View Post
    the video posted of "hooking" was due to a steering cable malfunction. I seem to be in the minority here but when I was looking at boats the 919 and caracal is what it came down to, I liked the layout of the 919 better. IMO there may be more storage on the caracal but I just didnt prefer the layout, and if I cant figure out what the fish want with what I carry in the 919 then I shouldnt be fishing lol it holds way more than I will ever use in one day I also like the fact that all of my tackle is right in front of me while searching for things and I dont have to look in multiple compartments. I also compared price when looking and everywhere I called the Caracal was ROUGHLY 10K more than ordering a 919 the way I wanted it. Fit and finish on both boats is the best in the industry IMO, no one else comes close to these two brands. Either choice you make im sure you will be pleased with but these are just some of the reasons I went with the 919
    In my area both Bass Cat and Phoenix are the top selling boats, with Bass cat leading by quite a bit.
    Its hard to imagine that Ranger, Skeeter, and are not in higher numbers, but I am well aware that demographics play on this.
    I will say that BCB and Phoenix would be my only two choices. Both are well made, and both are great performing boats. As BCB stated, BCB's are more costly to purchase, and there are reason for that.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinKS22 View Post
    Mine isn’t scattered all over the boat I will have to get a pic when I get home of how I store my stuff. Like you said both boats are good.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

12. Member
    Can someone please tell me how long of a rod both of these boats can accommodate. I have both of them in mind for my next rig and can't seem to get an answer. They both seem to have short decks for their size and neither website mentions rod storage length. I was told that the caracal deck is only 6.5' long which makes me worry that i couldn't store my 8' rods in the lockers. I can store them with room so spare on my current rig that is only 18'7". Please advise as this would be a deal breaker for me.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

13. Member
    The Caracal can hold 8’ rods. They have a center rod storage and port side storage

Quote Originally Posted by mr.coon View Post
    Can someone please tell me how long of a rod both of these boats can accommodate. I have both of them in mind for my next rig and can't seem to get an answer. They both seem to have short decks for their size and neither website mentions rod storage length. I was told that the caracal deck is only 6.5' long which makes me worry that i couldn't store my 8' rods in the lockers. I can store them with room so spare on my current rig that is only 18'7". Please advise as this would be a deal breaker for me.
    The Caracal is 9' from nose to console.

Here is a chart from Bass Cat listing the front deck widths etc., on all the new models :
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...3.html#p259512

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASSCAT7 View Post
    The Caracal is 9' from nose to console.

Here is a chart from Bass Cat listing the front deck widths etc., on all the new models :
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...3.html#p259512
    Awesome, thanks! That is a really informative chart. So 8' sticks should fit easily in the caracal.

16. Member
    Will hold 8’ rods for sure.

17. Member
    just measured the nose to console on my champion 187 and it came out to 9'4". this confirms my suspicions that most of the new boats have short front decks. this is very disappointing and takes the caracal off my list. i want a foot longer boat but not one with a shorter front deck than what i already have.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.coon View Post
    just measured the nose to console on my champion 187 and it came out to 9'4". this confirms my suspicions that most of the new boats have short front decks. this is very disappointing and takes the caracal off my list. i want a foot longer boat but not one with a shorter front deck than what i already have.
    If you think your champion has more deck space from a sq footage perspective then you are very wrong. The caracal has so much more room than any Champion of comparable size.

19. Member
    I guarantee the useable deck space on your Champion starts further back than the Caracal. The BassCat will have you standing closer to the nose of the boat.

20. Member
    You should probably measure from the trolling motor pedal to the console and see what you get

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast