Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I think this is like comparing a Ferrari versus a Corvette. I love the Phoenix boats and wouldn't hesitate to own one but the Caracal is another level of premium IMO. A home run for the 19 1/2' class.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

2. Member
    Fishin fever - I think your fever has gotten a little high. Jay Carroll stated his OPINION by using the word "thought". It is his opinion that the Caracal is better than the 919. My opinion is that a Basscat is better than a Phoenix too, due to my experience in both boats. And based off of your reply you think the opposite...its ok. We are allowed to have our own opinion. Nobody is calling your baby ugly, (he actually complimented Phoenix) we are just more impressed with BCB than with Phoenix.

3. Smallmouth Junkie!
    [QUOTE=Texlacat;8236649]Fishin fever - I think your fever has gotten a little high. Jay Carroll stated his OPINION by using the word "thought". It is his opinion that the Caracal is better than the 919. My opinion is that a Basscat is better than a Phoenix too, due to my experience in both boats. And based off of your reply you think the opposite...its ok. We are allowed to have our own opinion. Nobody is calling your baby ugly, (he actually complimented Phoenix) we are just more impressed with BCB than with Phoenix.[/QUOTE

Actually I am curious what exactly he (Jay) likes better about the BC. I am very curious how the ride in rough water compares. I believe both are supposed to be outstanding.
    Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 03-18-2017 at 09:13 PM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Quote Originally Posted by fishin fever View Post
    . In what aspect did it outperform the 919? The 919 is faster and rides better

5. donnybassfishing..com
    Quote Originally Posted by Texlacat View Post
    Fishin fever - I think your fever has gotten a little high. Jay Carroll stated his OPINION by using the word "thought". It is his opinion that the Caracal is better than the 919. My opinion is that a Basscat is better than a Phoenix too, due to my experience in both boats. And based off of your reply you think the opposite...its ok. We are allowed to have our own opinion. Nobody is calling your baby ugly, (he actually complimented Phoenix) we are just more impressed with BCB than with Phoenix.
    he said though it (out performed) so maybe he wasn't talking about handling, speed or ride? Which I think most who have been in both a few times each would agree phoenix has the edge in. The caracal is a great boat. Fit and finish great. And it's not my baby 😂 but my fever has been a little high lately 😉😂

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin fever View Post
    . In what aspect did it outperform the 919? The 919 is faster and rides better
    Fishin fever I think this also is subjective. I say that from this point of view. I own a Z522 2012 Ranger it was a nice boat and did as good on bad windy days on fork when the wind was 30-35 and gusting to 45. I bought it to fish the wind blown banks for big bass. The boat did has well has you could have asked. I know a guide on fork who also runs a Z522 who says the 522 rides better then the Phoenix 921, I don't know what world he lives[ which is the Ranger world LOL] but the 522 doesn't have a better ride then the 921. The 921 has the softest ride in the industry IMHO but the ride in the wind because it could span the waves was good in the Z522 but different then the 921. Their is no way the 522 is as soft of a ride as the 921. I say all of this because a boat can have a nice ride but not be as soft as the Phoenix and people who like another boat brand will like that ride. I think once we have made up our mind which boat we want its pretty hard to think the decision we have made was a bad one.LOL I think the 919 will out run the Caracal from the numbers posted. I have not been in a caracal but Bass Cat has always been known to have a good ride and performance, with out every been in one its hard for me to really compare. The only Bass Cat I have been in was 5-6 years back and I really don't remember a lot about it. I also don't think its fair to compare a 6 year old boat from one brand to a brand new boat from another brand. I can only tell what I have experienced in a 921 and a 920 that I have rode in. I think both would be great boats, and their is no prefect bass boat. I just do not believe most bass fishermen run more then 50-55 on most days fishing so the top end or performance just doesn't come into play. just my .02

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texlacat View Post
    This was well stated we all have a opinion of the different boats and what they will do. The driver of said boat can also make a difference in the ride and handling.

8. Member
    Does it always have to become an argument? We are all different in our own unique ways, that's what make us different. They are all nice boats these days and it all comes down to personal preference. What's good for one may not suit the other, but in the end let's all just be greatful we are able to have these choices today and freely participate in this special Hobbie we love so much.

We always say to get the one that makes you happy. That's what matters no matter the brand.

Those are truly our feelings because if your not happy we are loosing anyway.

10. Member
    Interesting I see lots of posts of "BassCat model vs. Other Brand model" on this page, but rarely if ever does the OP post on the Other brands page. Not sure what this is telling me, other than maybe they are looking for a reason not to buy the Cat. Me--on my second, have had great service when stationed nowhere near a Dealer. Can't wait to see the Lynx....2014 Puma may be for sale soon!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    Interesting I see lots of posts of "BassCat model vs. Other Brand model" on this page, but rarely if ever does the OP post on the Other brands page. Not sure what this is telling me, other than maybe they are looking for a reason not to buy the Cat. Me--on my second, have had great service when stationed nowhere near a Dealer. Can't wait to see the Lynx....2014 Puma may be for sale soon!
    I think they are looking for confirmation really.

There are posts on most boards now comparing models of different brands.

BCB

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    There are posts on most boards now comparing models of different brands.

BCB
    Yep this is so true.

Their is always someone on the Phoenix board asking about comparing Phoenix to brand X and yes they are very bias for Phoenix over there just like most BC owners are here. LOL we all love our boats and brand and BC has had and we have a huge following, and for good reason.

14. Member
    I would choose the Phoenix over the BCB NORMALLY, but the Caracal is a SWEET package! I think speed will be very similar, my buddies 919 with a 24V Motorguide, two 8' Blades, full fuel, and two guys will run an honest 76.5-77 with two guys. It's a speed DEMON! I like the layout of the Caracal more, you can access more boxes from the trolling motor instead of having to walk down the deck to open the one big box (which is why I prefer the two box layout on the front deck of my 721). The Caracal will most likely run a little more money-wise, when I was pricing 21' boats the BCB with the same equipment was 3-4K more than the Phoenix (still reasonable for today's market). The one place I think that Phoenix shines is the ride quality, especially turning. Now, I haven't had the chance to ride in the Caracal (and would love to), but I've rode in plenty of 20' Phoenix boats and I've also rode in an Eyra. I know ride is subjective but the Eyra did not ride as smooth as the 920 when hitting boat wakes, and in sharper turns had a tendency to "break over" and catch, whereas the Phoenix is butter smooth in a sharp turn. It could have been driver error, I would not be able to definitively say unless I got to drive them both within a short time, but that was how I felt. Now when the Lynx comes out (and hopefully it's a Caracal-esque design, just a foot longer) I will DEFINITELY want to drive one. Both companies build fine boats and it comes down to personal preference. Ride in each, check out the storage in each, get in some rough water if possible, and just see what you like best. As an addition, one thing that kept me from considering BCB more when I was shopping was that I personally know several people who got threw out of their boat from it hooking. The guys are still loyal BCB customers, so they must be doing something right lol

15. Member

Thumbs Up

I haven't had the opportunity to drive a Phoenix, but have fished out of them with friends. I also have not rode in a Caracal. I can say the deck of the Caracal and the boat itself is larger.
    I have also run the Eyra I owned thru the Bayous (LOTS of curves) along with Phoenix boats. (No 919's) But we flat out smoked thru them.
    The Eyra does have to be driven when running curves (Trim input). But it will pin you where you cannot move. My buddy in the Phoenix knows how to drive his machine. The boat definitely handles the curves with ease.
    One we hit the lake, he was chasing me.
    I have said before, The two best boats on the market (Performance AND fishing ability) is Bass cat and Phoenix.
    Our area bass clubs have access to both Phoenix and BCB. Right now BCB is leading the market in our area.
    Drive them both and decide. You cant go wrong with either brand!!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Member
    Cajin this IMO is where true performance comes in. Sure I love going fast as much as the next guy. The fact is I only run maybe 3-4 hours of 100 at WOT. I hear that's about normal around here. We don't have water that allows long WOT runs many days. I took a long time Charger owner that has ridden with me a few times in another brand up a narrow creek in my Cougar. Now a Charger and a Champion are no slouches in those creeks. The first thing he commented on was how different my Cougar felt on the water. He had rode in Cats a few times. I was driving the piss out of that creek LOL. I took the time to talk with Ivan about the differences in the hulls and then practice. You can't hop out of another brand into one of these performance boats ANY OF THEM and expect them to run and drive like your brand X.

If you'll really take the time to learn these Cat hulls they are amazing.

Two excellent boats choices here. Go with your heart.

17. Member
    I've never heard of anybody hooking a basscat and being thrown out. I've seen video of this but it appears to be driver related and this could happen in any brand it's not BCB related, any boat can hook with the wrong situation.

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix 921 View Post
    This was well stated we all have a opinion of the different boats and what they will do. The driver of said boat can also make a difference in the ride and handling.

Couldn't the explanation provided by You above also include Your guide friend from Lake Fork?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Couldn't the explanation provided by You above also include Your guide friend from Lake Fork?
    nothing in that post referred to anyone. I never said anything about any friends. I am really not sure what you are trying to get at or trying to stir up but this makes not sense.

We've heard of people being tossed from most all brands and often a common part was involved. The old Champion company once advertised and promoted the 180 hook turns in their Ride and Decide campaign, until they tossed a driver out at dealer meeting. It happened in front of the dealers evening dinner cruise early one evening on Table Rock. Then they went on to turn one upside down and more. It's all in who, how fast and how they drive'em, and more.

It was pretty common for several back around 2007-2008 when the 250 Pro XS was a new motor. There was a big difference in the power and performance from a 225 Pro XS to a 250. They all had a learning curve.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast