Tracker 175 - Replace Gas Tank

I have been looking lately at replacing the factory 21 gallon fuel tank with this 12 gallon one, and was wondering how easy or difficult getting the old one out was or if anybody else has done this. I know Gatorglenn swapped his out for a 6 gallon portable tank, but I'm not looking to remove the back deck.

Honestly, I don't have a problem cutting the old one up with an oscillating tool to get it out, if it comes to that, but I dang sure don't want to get it out only to find that this one won't fit through the bilge hatch.
    If I were home right now I could take measurements of everything, but since I'm not, I get to pester you fine folks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice,
    I like this one. If not pulling carpet, and unbolt the seat pedestal cross member. The only way to get it out is to cut it out.

The one in your pic is perfect, in the way it's shaped. I think all you'll have to do is, drill the 4 rivets on the fill port. Loosen the fill hose and vent hose, underneath. When it's out of the way cut the tank in 3rds. It will come out easily.

Then starting with the new tank. There is enough room to insert fill port with that end only being 9 inches it will go back for enough to let the 22 inch long backside go down past the pedestal frame. Then adjust the fill port in the hole so it can be cut down in height. So you can reattach the fill port you now have. Or if it is low enough, leave that cap on new tank, and access it through your old fuel port. I don't know what size rear compartment you have but, I have 11 1/2 inches tall and 25 inches from the livewell to the back opening of the hatch. So I could push the tank back far enough, to excess to fill port through the hatch it self. Good luck if I can be of any further help just ask.
    Last edited by gatorglenn; 03-17-2017 at 10:35 AM.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

3. Member
    I cut mine out... was a simple process. Sawzall is your friend.

4. Member
    Is there an issue that is making you guys cut out the bigger tanks to put in much smaller tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7 View Post
    Is there an issue that is making you guys cut out the bigger tanks to put in much smaller tanks?
    Well for me, Yes
    I could never use enough fuel to keep it fresh for my liking. And 2, it really opened up the bilge area. So arranging the batteries and charger so it's easy excess and more room for things like powerpoles. With out giving up storage space for the pumps. Not to mention the added benefit of less weight. So for me it's a all around winning deal.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post
    Nice,
    I like this one. If not pulling carpet, and unbolt the seat pedestal cross member. The only way to get it out is to cut it out.

The one in your pic is perfect, in the way it's shaped. I think all you'll have to do is, drill the 4 rivets on the fill port. Loosen the fill hose and vent hose, underneath. When it's out of the way cut the tank in 3rds. It will come out easily.

Then starting with the new tank. There is enough room to insert fill port with that end only being 9 inches it will go back for enough to let the 22 inch long backside go down past the pedestal frame. Then adjust the fill port in the hole so it can be cut down in height. So you can reattach the fill port you now have. Or if it is low enough, leave that cap on new tank, and access it through your old fuel port. I don't know what size rear compartment you have but, I have 11 1/2 inches tall and 25 inches from the livewell to the back opening of the hatch. So I could push the tank back far enough, to excess to fill port through the hatch it self. Good luck if I can be of any further help just ask.
    I came across this tank from Great Lake Skipper, it's an actual Tracker part so the sending unit should plug right up. I don't think the $150 price tag is too bad either.

When I got home this morning I measured the bilge hatch opening and the current tank, and it's definitely going to have to be cut out of there. However, my current tank is exactly like this one, in that it doesn't had a filler hose. The fill neck of the tank comes through an opening in the splashwell and the cap screws on there. The new tank is the same width and height as the current one, the only difference is in the depth (from transom to livewell). The new one is 10" shorter.

I have 2 options here...
    Option 1 (Yellow Line In Picture) If I mount it so the filler neck is in the same place as the current one, everything stays the same, but I wind up with an extra 10" of unreachable storage space between the back of the tank and the livewell.

Option 2 (Red Lines In Picture) Would be to move the back of the new tank towards the livewell in the same place the current one is mounted giving me an extra 150 square inches or so of usable storage for an extra battery or Power Pole pumps, ect. The only problem with this is the fill neck would need to be cut down because it would be higher than the bilge hatch would allow. I'm wondering if I can just cut the neck down and add a hose from the neck to the current fill porthole and use the threaded top portion of the neck and lid.
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (63.4 KB, 405 views)
    '09 Tracker PT 175 TXW - 60 HP 4S Merc
    Minn Kota 70 lb 24V
    Humminbird Helix 5 G2 - Helix 5 SI-GPS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gale1980 View Post
    I cut mine out... was a simple process. Sawzall is your friend.
    After going home and measuring everything, it became quite clear, rather quickly, that I'm going to be cutting this thing out lol
    Minn Kota 70 lb 24V

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7 View Post
    Personally, I'm doing it to gain more storage capacity. I'd like the option to add a 4th battery and run a 36v trolling motor, or two Power Pole pumps, or anything else I may decide to add later on.
    My current 21 gallon tank lasts FOREVER with the 60 HP 4 stroke and I really don't like that much gas just sitting in the tank that long. I filled up a month ago, have been out 5 or 6 times since, and still have 3/4 of a tank left.
    Minn Kota 70 lb 24V

9. Member
    I switched to a 6 gallon tank... I run a 25hp due to restrictions so I would never need 20 gallons of gas. The stock tank would last almost 6 months if I filled it. I really needed more room in the bilge because of switching to a fortrex and putting a minnkota charger back there... it also left room for the pump when I get a power pole. I rarely ever ran more than a couple gallons of gas to save on weight anyway.

On a tracker 175, would 2 pp pumps fit if you went to a 6 gallon from the factory 21 gallon?
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by ILbassin View Post
    On a tracker 175, would 2 pp pumps fit if you went to a 6 gallon from the factory 21 gallon?
    Yes, this is how much room I made. But can get more if I relocate the charger to its original location. Plenty of room for 2pumps.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

Made-in-TX,

I would move it back. Cut a big enough section out of the fill neck. To get the fill cap below bilge lid. You can get the hose you need at Napa. Then you will have at lease enough room for 1 battery, and at leased 1 pump.

2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

I need to do this so I can run dual power poles instead of dual talons to keep the weight down on the transom.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

14. Member

Question for Gatorglen

Want to upgrade my PT 170 TX , remove factory tank 20 plus gallons, NJ Lakes have 9.9hp restriction so no use for gas tank that big. Did you leave hatch cover close when boating or how does tank vent. Have not shopped for 6 gallon tank what size is the one you installed, who makes it? not sure mine project will look as sharp as yours with the diamond plate/awesome install.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04Tracker View Post
    Want to upgrade my PT 170 TX , remove factory tank 20 plus gallons, NJ Lakes have 9.9hp restriction so no use for gas tank that big. Did you leave hatch cover close when boating or how does tank vent. Have not shopped for 6 gallon tank what size is the one you installed, who makes it? not sure mine project will look as sharp as yours with the diamond plate/awesome install.
    I checked Gator Glens profile and he hasn’t been active on here since 2020. I knew I hadn’t seen him post in a long time but it’s been a lot longer than I thought. Good luck with your project.

16. Member
    Just use some fuel stabilizer, and your fuel is good up to a year. It is not necessary to fill your tank either. I never fill mine, as I rarely use more than 1/8 tank on each outing. As far as doing all of that work to gain more space, that is a different story.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    I checked Gator Glens profile and he hasn’t been active on here since 2020. I knew I hadn’t seen him post in a long time but it’s been a lot longer than I thought. Good luck with your project.
    I have a PT 170 TX with a 9.9. I cut out the original tank and use a 3 gal portable gas tank, 4 100A LiFePO4 batteries and a two bank battery charger for the 24V trolling motor batteries.
    The starting battery and extra battery are used for a transom 24V trolling motor when fishing electric-only waters.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL