Ultrex heading sensor question

I have lowrance units so bought the Ultrex without the link.

What all functions is the heading sensor needed for?
    Charger 210 Elite

Mainly for the jog feature of spot lock so you can move the boat up, back, right and left of your original spot lock
    "The handicapped angler"

Thanks! It sounds like if I don't care about the jog feature; there really is no need to mount/hook it up?
    Charger 210 Elite

4. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Wrong, hook up the heading sensor puck and calibrate. You'll be glad you did. It's a total package. this TM is the cats ass!!
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Wrong, hook up the heading sensor puck and calibrate. You'll be glad you did. It's a total package. this TM is the cats ass!!
    I don't care about the jog and I didn't hook up the heading sensor. It's still the cat's ass.

6. Member
    lol
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

The jog feature would be very handy. Say you're fishing a weed bed or weed line, jog up 10 feet after a few minutes and cast to another part of the weedbed. I can't wait to get mine.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

I've had my Ultrex (non link) out about 30 times now and have yet to use the jog feature. It's just so easy to move the boat like I did with my Fortrex and then repress the spot lock button on the foot pedal. I've actually never used the remote other than calibrating and setting the offset. Again, for me, it's just natural to use the foot pedal to move and repress the spot lock button on the foot pedal. If they spot lock button wasn't on top the pedal I'd probably not be so lazy about using the remote and jog.

I did just get a link version and there are a number of link features I will use once I figure it all out. I'll use follow contour and bracktrack for sure as well as the circle way point function. But if I understand what I'm reading right, I can have spot lock waypoints that are different from the HB way points, have the Ultrex go to the spot lock waypoint x number of feet from my HB way point and then fish my HB way point that marks what I want to fish. I've not tried it yet so I could be wrong about that.

9. Member
    Yep you can have "spot locks" and "waypoints". The spot locks will have an anchor icon and will set up spot lock on arrival

I'll be using the jog feature when I work over brushpiles. Neatest thing I ever used on my MG Xi5 with pinpoint. Now with my Ultrex and Humminbird Mega Units I can use the go to feature, spotlock and jog for catching crappie. If it all works right I will be one happy camper tomorrow night. Maiden voyage in the morning.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

11. Member
    I too will use jog while fishing for crappie on brush piles, probably on the same lake as you.

12. Member
    I see myself using quite a few of the features on this motor and remote, although I don't expect to use the remote as a replacement of the pedal like I've seen some bass guys doing with the Ulterra.

I'm remembering a situation in Canada one August holding the boat in the middle of a bay fishing a deep weed line with the bow facing into the wind and my partner and I casting back toward the weed line behind us. It was a bitch holding the boat in position with the wind blowing and rollers but we were catching fish like crazy. I can spot lock it, use the remote to move forward left or right and stay on a spot without ME having to fight the wind and rollers while my partner can cast behind at leisure and clobber me!! That happened to me years ago in a state team tourny
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat55 View Post
    I'll be using the jog feature when I work over brushpiles. Neatest thing I ever used on my MG Xi5 with pinpoint. Now with my Ultrex and Humminbird Mega Units I can use the go to feature, spotlock and jog for catching crappie. If it all works right I will be one happy camper tomorrow night. Maiden voyage in the morning.
    Lets just say I am beyond happy with mine so far. Everything worked to perfection... jog, spotlock, go to waypoint and the remote. Having the foot control is icing on the cake. Power Steering is the best way to describe. Very pleased.

Crappie fish fry. It don't taste any better.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat55 View Post
    Lets just say I am beyond happy with mine so far. Everything worked to perfection... jog, spotlock, go to waypoint and the remote. Having the foot control is icing on the cake. Power Steering is the best way to describe. Very pleased.
    Awesome, glad it all worked according to plan!! It really is a great motor. My only regret is not going ahead and getting the "link" version because I am now thinking about switching to Humminbird over the next year. oh well. Enjoy!!!
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

15. Member
    The jog feature seems to be more efficient than just using the pedal. I mean, I use the pedal rather than the remote too. But it seems to be more work (noise, battery usage) for the spot lock to re-acquire the next position when I use the pedal to move a short distance compared to the remote to jog. Still getting used to it and the new tech though, my .02.