Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hole Shot Plates

Looking at getting one of these. Have a 6" Rapid Jack jackplate on an R72 w/ Yamaha 130 2 stroke.
    Want to reduce backwash - if hole shot improves, so much the better.

Have also read about flotation in the jackplate space (inflatable ball, etc.) and considering
    a foil as well for planing at lower speed/hole shot improvement.

Thoughts and experiences with the hole shot plate?? (foil and 'inflatable' thoughts also welcomed.)

Thanks ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

2. Member
    The hole shot plate will help with backwash and probably help hole shot too. Some folks swear by the basketballs in the JP,I don't know,never tried it. Try your rig with the holeshot plate first,if that doesn't get you where you want to be,then try a foil. One of the guys on here makes a highly rated one and it looks sharp too. I'm sure someone can tell you his name,I can't recall it right now.

3. Member
    I had one on my R91 w/ a 6" TH HiJacker Pro and took it off. Caused 200 efi to loose water pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rollins View Post
    I had one on my R91 w/ a 6" TH HiJacker Pro and took it off. Caused 200 efi to loose water pressure.
    The foil and the holeshot plate are completely out of the water while runnin.....Chris "cbailey" on the Stroker Forum makes foils and holeshot plates.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. Member
    Thanks for the responses.
    My tentative plan was to try the hole shot plate and maybe
    the foil, pending what others on the forum thought/experienced.
    (my wife thinks the 'basketball' thing is crazy, but, she does get the flotation issue .... )

6. Member
    Thats bullshit

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    Thats bullshit
    That's a lack of knowledge on your part. The angle of the transom on the R91 causes the holeshot plate to deflect water away from the pickups when trimmed out, never over 10 psi @ 5900 rpms. Removal of the plate allowed the water pressure to go back up to 15+.

8. Member
    Is the transom angle on the R series different than other bass boats?

That's a lack of knowledge on your part. The angle of the transom on the R91 causes the holeshot plate to deflect water away from the pickups when trimmed out, never over 10 psi @ 5900 rpms. Removal of the plate allowed the water pressure to go back up to 15+.
    www.ncboatguy.com

10. Member
    it doesn't make a dang bit of difference what the starting transom angle is, when the motor is trimmed properly its at the same angle relative to the water as another with a different angle.

Ive run them on all kinds of boats with all kinds of angles , I have a modified jackplate with 15deg negative tuck built in, the motor looks upside down almost when trimmed down all the way, i guarantee your ranger didn't have more effective starting angle than that

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

12. Member
    Def worth adding to your sled. Marked improvement on holeshot, no issues here w/ water pressure.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 90 5.0 View Post
    it doesn't make a dang bit of difference what the starting transom angle is, when the motor is trimmed properly its at the same angle relative to the water as another with a different angle.

Ive run them on all kinds of boats with all kinds of angles , I have a modified jackplate with 15deg negative tuck built in, the motor looks upside down almost when trimmed down all the way, i guarantee your ranger didn't have more effective starting angle than that
    I'm saying that the plate doesn't work on this particular Ranger with the EFI, no low water pick-ups or scoops. I really don't care anybody wants to run one or not, I'm saying watch the water pressure if you add one.

I'm saying that the plate doesn't work on this particular Ranger with the EFI, no low water pick-ups or scoops. I really don't care anybody wants to run one or not, I'm saying watch the water pressure if you add one.
    You do not have to have anything special to run a foil....what brand foil did you have an issue with?
    www.ncboatguy.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    You do not have to have anything special to run a foil....what brand foil did you have an issue with?
    Maybe one of those big scooped ones you see on salt water boats ?? Dunno, but a normal one his claims don't add up.

16. Member
    He didn't run a foil just a hole shot plate and it was losing WP .

17. Member
    I am a bit gun-shy on the plate, because I do not have an h20 pressure gauge. Anyone else have
    any experience with the hole shot plate?

18. Member
    I just can'tsee how it would be an issue with your water pressure. I have a plate on my 6"JP on my Ranger 195vs with a 200 EFI and still have +20psi @ WOT.

19. Member
    Your JP should not be anywhere near the surface when you are on plane.

20. Member
    SouthernZ: I was referring to the hole shot plate - not sure if you meant that or the jp itself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast