Looking at a 08 verado 225 with 20 hours

I am looking at buying a boat from a friend. It has a 08 225 merc verado with only 20 hours. It has not been run for at least 3 years. The trailer master cyl has no oil in it and the brakes dont work. The rods that hold the compartment doors open are leaking and either the power trim cyl or steering is leaking. I can get a really good price on it and all of the above things are all really no big deal. I am however a little worried about the engine. Could the seals on the supercharger leak. And other issues. The boat has been taken care of very well and i have all the maintenance records. What does everyone else think. It seems like this could be a great deal or a money pit

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend getting the rest of the engine checked over CAREFULLY. And expect that it will be necessary to go through ALL maintenance if it's been sitting.

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Maybe those are all things that go when I a boat sits for that long but that seems like a lot if issue for what is essentially a brand new boat.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

4. Member
    The boat really has been sitting for quite awhile. He let me take it home and go through it and make sure it would fit in the garage. I am sure I can take it to get it checked but I worry it will be okay now and everything will start leaking after using it for a few hours. I can't start it until I get rid of the old gas and I was planning on servicing it right away.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Engine can be checked over while connected to an EXTERNAL (separate) fuel source, with fresh fuel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor