Thumbs Up 97 Champion 184 blowing out.

Boat was bought with a 23 older turbo prop. Hole shot great, 63-64 wot with a light load... prop to pad is 2-1/2. fished a few tournaments last year with a full tank of fuel and boat started blowing out and wouldn't ever get up on plane. It had a couple of times just in normal fishing, blown out at low rpm coming off plane to the point you had to completely stop and start again. Talked to a friend and swapped to a 23 tempest plus, thinking bigger diameter and more bite would help all my problems. Does fine at the same height but won't get the speed or rpms at wot. So I adjusted the jack plate to get the speed up. Then this prop did the exact same thing as the turbo.... Any ideas on how I might get all my problems addressed? I have a theory that when the livewell or the fuel is full it is causing a cavitation right behind the pad causing the blowout in all cases.... But I don't know how to fix it.... if I run the props, either one, lower to stop the blowout I lose more of my speed. I am now getting better speed without the blowing out with the tempest but I am only running 59-60 and I am not getting near the wot rpms.

2. Pat Goff
    Let's start at square one.
    It's not a 184, probably a 186.
    What motor?
    No way you're going to run at true 2 1/2", not with a fishing load anyway.
    What do you have hanging off the bottom? Transducers? Ladders? Speedo pickups?
    Need more information before a correct answer can be found.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

3. Member
    Ok. Boat measures a true 18'3". It is rated for a 150. It has on a, 6" manual jp, a merc 150 EFI. I'm sry that is supposed to be a 3-1/2.(typo) But on the back there is a ladder that most champs I've seen come with... 1 small transducer. It is on the next step up. It isn't beside the pad. It won't function if you are on plane. That is it.... boat ran like a dream but it was almost like something changed with the older prop. I will say this the turbo had vent holes drilled when we got it. And I will have to check but I think I am currently running 1 hole open with a medium plug and the other 2 closed on the tempest.

4. Member
    Thanks for the problem solving btw.

5. Pat Goff
    You have a 181. Nice hull lets wake it up.
    The exact right prop is a 23 m Yamaha.

Then if that transducer is right of the prop it needs to move to the left.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    If my memory serves me correct it is on the left but I make no promises! What should I need to be at prop to pad?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    You have a 181. Nice hull lets wake it up.
    The exact right prop is a 23 m Yamaha.

Then if that transducer is right of the prop it needs to move to the left.
    Not to intervene...but exactly which setups need the transducer on the left?

You can run a yamaha M series on a merc? If you like the speed from your turbo, it sounds like you just need pvs holes drilled and plugs inserted as you're getting too much ventilation. Tons of things could be off with the 23 tempest. Leading edges, tip cup, over ventilation to name a few. If you have your turbo, block off the vent holes and see if the holeshot improves with no blowout. Very easy fix.

9. Pat Goff
    Your power from your prop is from top dead center to bottom dead center, anything that in the least bit disrupts water flow on the right side will have negative effects on performance. If you MUST stick something off the back, always stick it on the left (port) side of the prop as far away as you can.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

10. Member
    Your power from your prop is from top dead center to bottom dead center, anything that in the least bit disrupts water flow on the right side will have negative effects on performance. If you MUST stick something off the back, always stick it on the left (port) side of the prop as far away as you can.
    D'oh....thanks sir. I can't believe I didnt know that. Our boat came with transducer and speed pick up on right so thats where it's been for 7 years.

Hmm, we never knew that... Gotta go check ours tomorrow..
    BTW, we have a 83 184 FX, 150 XR4 with No Jack - With 2 guys 3 batts, our holeshots are awesome. 23 Quicksilver 2 Speedo on smooth water may hit 57 turning 5800 RPM.

Will have to GPS this year. Boat been sitting for 12 yrs. Just starting to freshin it up a bit and teach my 11 yr old what it means to FISH instead of playing Video Games and playing sports! Hoping he gets as addicted as I did as a kid!

Musclford

1983 18'4" Champ / 1988 Merc 150 XR4

Previous - 16'8" Champ w/150 Merc