New 300 vrod breakin

So I'm picking up my new triton 216 with this motor this Saturday. I live in Iowa and the water temps up here are mid 30's. I want to break it in on the ride back from the dealer. I think it's a 2 hr breakin but will check the owner manual of course.

Should I break it in when the water is this cold? The break in procedure I hear is pretty aggressive but I don't want to lock it up when I hammer down...

2. Member
    Grawler check out the My Wedge for motor support. I have the same boat and motor on order.

3. Banned
    The manual makes no difference to the break in procedure with respect to water temperature. Let the motor warm up and then proceed to follow the procedure.

I don't see the break in procedure as being particularly aggressive. Maybe when compared to the Yamaha four stroke break in procedure but then Yams seem to wind up making oil at a much higher rate than do Merc four strokes. I recommend to Yam drivers that they follow the Merc procedure and not the Yam procedure.

If the thermostat(s) are doing their job then the engine temperature should be the same with 90 degree water as it is with 35 degree water.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely follow the recommendations in the owner's manual, and don't "baby" the engine during break-in. Proper break-in is critical to proper engine performance (and longevity).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor