Ranger trailer hub

Hey Guys,

Got a leaking oil bath hub on my 2007 ranger trail trailer. Got a new hub but it came with the whole spindle.

I'm having trouble getting the spindle out.

How difficult is it to just install the hub, bearings and seals from the new hub on the existing spindle?

It's not difficult at all. Just install it like you normally would.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Is the hub leaking at the rear seal? If it is, you still might have a leak with a new seal if the SS wear ring has a groove worn in it.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=338633
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    Is the hub leaking at the rear seal? If it is, you still might have a leak with a new seal if the SS wear ring has a groove worn in it.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=338633
    Thanks Bob! I read the attached thread. The only difference with mine is that the rear seal is leaking while the trailer is sitting. I didn't notice a leak before I put it away for the winter. I pulled it out and noticed the leak. It's leaking in my garage as we speak.

5. Member
    Thanks Bob,

I read your attached thread. Great info. Only difference with mine is that it's leaking while it's sitting. I didn't notice any leak when I put it away for the winter. Got it out and noticed the leak... Filled it up again and it's leaking out the back while sitting.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdobson View Post
    Hey Guys,

Got a leaking oil bath hub on my 2007 ranger trail trailer. Got a new hub but it came with the whole spindle.

I'm having trouble getting the spindle out.

How difficult is it to just install the hub, bearings and seals from the new hub on the existing spindle?
    I would do the whole spindle. Might need a puller or ball joint press. A little heat would help.

7. mikesxpress
    Ranger installs the spindles dry. Yep that's an issue. I R&R all four of mine. I assume you have torsion axles?
    If so, I did the following:

Starting from the spindle stripped down to just the taper holding it in and the boat off the trailer and a few days of Liquid Wrench soak at the taper. Put the castle nut back on the threads backwards and screw it down to flush with the end. *You may have to remove the fender and/or jack the trailer up to get a dead on swing(s) to the spindle but it will come out. I used a 20lb sledge and knocked them all out in a couple hours. You can try a propane torch to heat the surrounding taper but caution is advised as the rubber inside the torsion axle is pretty close. Once it's out clean the inside taper and apply anti-seize to both mating parts and the castle nut threads. DON'T use the POS steel cotter pin they provide. Get a stainless one. I did all 4 of mine as I carry a loaded hub assy so I can knock the spindle out quickly and just put the new assy on. Much faster than fooling with everything else if your roadside.