Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. mikesxpress
    Here is a dry/lubricated torque chart you guys may want to print off and save for other items:

http://www.apf.com/pdf/Bolt_Torque_Chart.pdf

My 2009 Z21i boat trailer has 1/2-20 UNF lugs.
    I replaced the open end lug nuts with closed end Stainless ones.
    With a dab of anti-seize on each stud I torque them to 90 lbs. 50 miles later I check them.
    Keep in mind if you utilize a garage/tire shop they use the freeking impact guns on lugs and they are always set way to high. If you allow them to R&R lug nuts with the impact they are going to stretch the studs with/without anti-seize.

2. Banned
    Absolutely. A mechanic for a lot of years and every wheel Ive ever put back on had anti-seize on the threads, hub and lugnut shoulders contacts the rim. Torgue as normal, 90 ft-lbs fits all. 1000s upon 1000s and never had a wheel come off or get loose.

Another thing to note that i forgot to mention. Along with using a small amount as i said before do not get any on the taper of the lugs and or wheel you so not want it there. Small amount on threads only.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

4. Banned
    disagree, I put it there too.

I just have a few thoughts in this matter. I'm pretty much going nowhere with it.

1. Anti-seize compound comes in different flavors with different additives that affect the friction between the nut and bolt. They are typically comprised of some special high pressure high lubricity solids suspended in a petroleum grease. They are utilized to lubricate the threads between the nut and bolt, and allow the torque applied to the fastener to convert to a clamping force instead of the typical twisting force to overcome the friction between the nut and bolt. They are also used on fasteners with a tendency to galling such as stainless steel.

2. If the proper clamping force is obtained between the pieces being bolted together (i.e. trailer wheel and hub), and no additional movement occurs after tightening (i.e. the surface wasn't clean or wasn't put on exactly straight and shifted), then the clamping force should be enough to maintain tightness of the fastener as the bolt will physically stretch (similar to a spring) when you tighten it. This is why they always say to check lug nuts after so many miles.

3. Whether using regular grease or anti-seize compound, they both will provide limited protection of the metal surfaces as they will coat them temporarily to prevent rust.

6. Member
    A friend of mine has a Ranger intracoastal.....after 3 years decided to take the wheels off..none of them came off. A welder tried beating them off...Ranger sent him 2 new axles with hubs and rims tires and had him send the old ones back. After he told me I put never size on mine

2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Anti seize----- I don't use it on the lugs, I do use it on the back of the wheel where it touches the brake drum, and on my vehicle wheels where they touch the rotors.

Anti seize or grease does change the torque specs----- I don't know by how much. I have my tires off the trailer twice a year. Once in the winter to check the brakes, and redo the bearings, mid summer to rotate the tires. I use a torque wrench on every wheel I own, and if my tire shop fixes something for me---- they use one, on EVERY one of my vehicles. Lug nuts on all of my vehicles and boat trailer have the full length lug nuts that cover the complete lug.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post

Just watched the video after I posted 30% is a good enough reason NOT to use grease or Anti Seize on a lugnut, especially like on my pick up that have something like 120 lb torque spec

10. Scraps
    If you do use, and I do, back off 20% on the torque spec.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I always put a lubricant on any stud that is in danger of seizing a nut, and I'm well aware of the increased torque factor. If you've ever towed your FIL's camper and had to twist off two seized nuts to change a flat tire, you would too.

I use just a touch of wheel bearing grease on the studs on my boat trailers. I don't care why I shouldn't. I grew up in salt water and it was a must....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    I do use mine in salt water a few times a year too..alot of brackish water also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12