Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I recently changed from a 225 to a 250....my rig is rated @ 225....I was honest with the ins agent and got her insured with NO rise in premiums....also got the elite package...they will insure them if you are honest and not trying to put a 250 on a 150 rated rig....

I had an R70 I believe it was bought it when they first came out in '95. It came with a ProV 115 and would run 55 all day long after repropping
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by terry5357 View Post
    I had an R70 I believe it was bought it when they first came out in '95. It came with a ProV 115 and would run 55 all day long after repropping
    Do you recall what prop you changed to?

Thanks

^^^^^ if memory serves it was a 21 pitch or maybe 23 pitch Power Tech R E D with extra cup. I worked at PT in the tool room and got the prop for free. This was in 95 it was a dynamite boat
    is all I remember.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

5. Member
    I'm in the same position as you I have a '02 180 Javelin that's in great shape with a Merc. 125 (that I'm not really happy with) and it's only rated for a 135.I woud love to put a 150 on it but just affraid of the liability issues so I'm really considering the new Mercury Pro XS 115 4 stroke I've read alot of great things about this motor.Keep us updated on what you do like I said I wished there was someway to go with a 150.

6. Member
    my son has a javelin with lil bit overpowered --he had no problem getting insured

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okiebass View Post
    my son has a javelin with lil bit overpowered --he had no problem getting insured
    I'm going to check wth my insurance and see what they say before I make my decision.

8. Member

Update

After much research and speaking with a couple of guys at Ranger (who tested the Pro XS 115 engine with their new z 175 and were knowledgeable of the R71) I decided to go with the XS Pro 115 with the command thrust. If I wouldn't have had to replace tach and controls and such, I might have gone with the Evinrude 135. They also told me that the reason my boat is rated at 130 was because mainly it was designed for a popular 130 on the market at the time (probably an Evinrude) and though my R71 could easily handle the 135 didn't recommend it because of liability.

Anyway the decision is made and the motor is being installed now. The guys at Ranger also recommended a Tempest Plus 24, interesting because the prop selector tool on Merc's web site was saying I needed a 25 or 26. They also recommended the Fury as well as the Tempest.

I'll update the performance once I get it out on the water. Thanks so much for the great input guys!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahlonega Jim View Post
    After much research and speaking with a couple of guys at Ranger (who tested the Pro XS 115 engine with their new z 175 and were knowledgeable of the R71) I decided to go with the XS Pro 115 with the command thrust. If I wouldn't have had to replace tach and controls and such, I might have gone with the Evinrude 135. They also told me that the reason my boat is rated at 130 was because mainly it was designed for a popular 130 on the market at the time (probably an Evinrude) and though my R71 could easily handle the 135 didn't recommend it because of liability.

Anyway the decision is made and the motor is being installed now. The guys at Ranger also recommended a Tempest Plus 24, interesting because the prop selector tool on Merc's web site was saying I needed a 25 or 26. They also recommended the Fury as well as the Tempest.

I'll update the performance once I get it out on the water. Thanks so much for the great input guys!
    Sounds great I'll be looking forward to your update I'm still leaning toward the 115 also thanks for the update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12