Considering taking valves out of livewell, Need your thoughts, Ranger Sport

I replaced the flowrite valves on my livewell about 6 months ago they still didnt work right, at times they just wont drain no matter what position the switches are in , other times they work fine,or drain really slow, I seen a post once were they removed the valves, Was wandering if anyone had a diagram of how this works, It is on a 97 R80 Sport Ranger, I know I could just do straight pipe and let it fill to water level, I was thinking the post i seen had something to keep livewell dry till needed, and can i keep my recirculate, I just cant work this out in my mind lol, Thanks

2. Loser
    Do you have the correct valves. No debris in the lines. Can you remove the cable and move the lever and see if they work properly. If you remove the valves than the live well water will be pulled out as you run down the lake.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

3. Member
    Did you replace with brand new valves or did you rebuild the originals? I don't think they make the exact type of valves our boat came with anymore. But you can rebuild flapper kit. If they are new valves, I don't think the cable actuation of the valve itself is the same as the old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ranger View Post
    Did you replace with brand new valves or did you rebuild the originals? I don't think they make the exact type of valves our boat came with anymore. But you can rebuild flapper kit. If they are new valves, I don't think the cable actuation of the valve itself is the same as the old ones.
    I did buy new valves from flow rite,

5. Member
    Lots of livewells at least mine do, drain when you get on plane. If you don't close a flapper valve, your fish will have no water.

Something is wrong with the valves, the installation, or the cable running from the valve to the cockpit. If I were you, I would trouble shoot the problem and fix it before removing the valves. When you go to sell the boat, removing the valves will reduce the value.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlperkins View Post
    I did buy new valves from flow rite,
    If i remember correctly, the actuation of the new valves are backwards from the original. I didn't replace my valves because of that. I just rebuilt them. Did you have issues inserting the cable on the new ones?

Couldn't you just use a plug in the livewell?

Quote Originally Posted by railey View Post
    Couldn't you just use a plug in the livewell?
    Not without doing some modifications.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments