Nitro savage 896

Ok right now my setup is no jack plate, prop to pad is 3 1/2 below. Running a custom 25.5 tempest plus prop. 3-4 seconds to plane and top speed is 65 at 5800. Looking for more speed so I have decided to get a jack plate. Just wandering if anyone with / that had a savage 896 can tell me if I have enough cables to run a 8in plate. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I put a 6" on mine years ago. Did not have any issues. Don't know about 8", sorry.

3. Member
    Ok thank you. I really hope someone can tell me, because I would like to put a 8in on.

4. Pat Goff
    Are you certain about that 8" plate? That hull has a massive amount of distance from the end of the pad to the transom already, go too far and you'll end on on the back side of the swell, which is never a place you want to be.

It's a tricky hull to get just right, good luck with it.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    I sold my 250XS to a coworker with a nitro savage 896. He put on a 6" jack plate and mounted the motor too low, and trimmed out runs around 74 to 75. It really needs 8" and he needs to get rid of the sportsmaster (1.62 gear)and get a torquemaster. I believe he would be close to 80, even though it is overpowered. If that 3.0 liter needed and 8" plate, so would most other 3.0's, and definitely any 2.5 motor. He was also running a tempest.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmgoffjr View Post
    Are you certain about that 8" plate? That hull has a massive amount of distance from the end of the pad to the transom already, go too far and you'll end on on the back side of the swell, which is never a place you want to be.

It's a tricky hull to get just right, good luck with it.
    Will it be possible to get into the low 70s with a 6" plate?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    I sold my 250XS to a coworker with a nitro savage 896. He put on a 6" jack plate and mounted the motor too low, and trimmed out runs around 74 to 75. It really needs 8" and he needs to get rid of the sportsmaster (1.62 gear)and get a torquemaster. I believe he would be close to 80, even though it is overpowered. If that 3.0 liter needed and 8" plate, so would most other 3.0's, and definitely any 2.5 motor. He was also running a tempest.
    Well that's why I am trying to find out for sure. I had a friend tell me the more setback I can get the more lift I will get witch equals more speed. I don't always have extra cash to blow, so trying to make sure I get what I need the first time.

8. Member
    How far do you have to trim out now. If you have to trim way out, you need more setback. IF you don't, 6" is probably OK.

9. Member
    This is what I can text you. I can keep bumping the trim till I get to 65 and if I bump it anymore​ I loose speed. But I also have a high rooster tail. My prop guy is telling me to go up on engine height, but some others are saying it may be to high.

10. Member
    When I ran my prop stock, it ran 6100rpms and I could trim all the way up and toped out at 63. Now my prop is custom with more rake and extra cupping. Just fyi

11. Member
    Do you have cable or hydraulic steering? If cables, many times 8" is too far and 6" is the limit. Hydraulic steering can accommodate any setback. Just adding a 6" plate will allow you to raise motor and increase bow lift, which will help speed.

12. Member
    Ok thanks everyone for all the advice. I do have hydraulic steering so plenty of room there, just not sure about shift/ and throttle cables. I guess I will just go with a 6" plate. Either way I should improve right

13. Member
    Right.

14. Member
    With all the information here you still don't know much because no one knows what motor you have. Pat's probably right about the set back but I'm guessing you have a 200 2.5 efi. and I don't think you'll ever see 70.

15. Member
    Ok. I installed a 6 in plate. I started at 3 1/2 below pad. Went up to 3 1/4 below pad all I can get is 65-67 depending on lake conditions. It will chine walk now but drivable still. Have I got all I am going to get out of this savage? Or does anyone think I can get a couple more. I see others with the same boat saying there running 68-69. Are they full of it?

16. Member
    Anyone?

17. Pat Goff
    Internet speed claims are always suspect. Guy has zero weight, three gallons of gas and a twenty mph tailwind, hits a number, and by god that number is what he can do.

If you're running at the top end of your rpm range, holeshot is decent, boat is lifting good, and is carrying a load properly, you're done go fishing.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

18. Member
    Thanks sounds good