Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator

Coal Ash ponds leaking into James River of Virginia

As a life long Chesterfield resident and someone who fishes this area regularly, it is quite apparent that something is polluting the waters of the James River near Dominion Power in Richmond, Virginia. I have seen the silver/Grey sludge cover an entire area near the power plant outflow. The "barge pits" as they are known locally, has stayed muddy all winter even though we have had very little rain and the main river has great clarity. The article below sheds some light on some of my suspicions. I urge any of you that are local or may fish the River in one of the Opens/Rayovacs to do your part in helping spread the word and advocating for at the very least a review of the current coal ash containment system in place at Dominion.

http://www.richmond.com/news/evidenc...24d62c0fc.html
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

2. Member
    Very interesting read.... thnaks for sharing. Never knew it was an issue

3. Member
    Its amazing to me that something so obvious is not making heads spin. The clean water act and the EPA and all the millions and millions of dollars we allocate to protect our precious water and anyone standing on the bank of the James River can look out and see the pollution. Burns me up!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnpscott1 View Post
    Its amazing to me that something so obvious is not making heads spin. The clean water act and the EPA and all the millions and millions of dollars we allocate to protect our precious water and anyone standing on the bank of the James River can look out and see the pollution. Burns me up!
    Apparently you missed the part where Republicans overturned a clean water rule the former President put in place to keep rivers and streams safe and clean, but now it's OK for companies dump coal ash into rivers and streams again....Drink up, Fish on....
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/po...-waste-streams
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Friscotxman View Post
    Apparently you missed the part where Republicans overturned a clean water rule the former President put in place to keep rivers and streams safe and clean, but now it's OK for companies dump coal ash into rivers and streams again....Drink up, Fish on....
    http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/po...-waste-streams
    Way to show your political colors. Maybe next time you will post something that actually applies to coal ash that is left over after power plants burn coal instead of an article about a regulation being lifted that specifically applied to the MINING of coal.

6. Member
    Last edited by javelin90; 03-16-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Keep the political references out of it folks, if we want this discussion to remain here.

8. Member
    Dominion Power is dumping coal ash waste water, and this has been approved by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality.

http://wtvr.com/2016/04/27/dominion-...sh-wastewater/

http://www.richmond.com/news/virgini...697ac799b.html

9. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    I think the point of the article is that leaks are occurring, and that the level of heavy metals and other contaminants are well above what Dominion or the EPA are trying to say they are.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

10. Member
    Can anyone confirm where the leak is in the barge pit?

11. Member
    Dominion has been doing this for years, this is nothing new. They do the same thing on the Potomac. They have paid big money to the government to keep it hush hush for along time and will continue to.
    05’ Skeeter TZX200, Yamaha 200hp HPDI
    00’ Skeeter SX186, Yamaha 150hp VMax.
    PRO-FORMANCE FISHING TEAM.

12. Member
    Came across this thread by chance. Based on where they are standing in their little video, I believe this is the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Varinabassin View Post
    Can anyone confirm where the leak is in the barge pit?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp