Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

To rebuild or not, Merc EFI

Here is my situation. I picked up a motor from a local estate, it is a 2002 Mercury 175 EFI. I took it into the local shop and they looked it over and told me the ECU computer is bad and I have 2 cylinders low on compresion...bummer. At this point I have a decision to make, I can go two different directions, rebuild the motor or cut my losses and sell as parts motor. I currently have a 2005 Mercury carb'd 115 on my bassboat that is underpowered, so I would be selling that motor to cover the expenses of a rebuild. To utilize this 175 EFI I would need to rebuild motor, buy new/used ECU and purchase new controls since it doesnt have any and possible service lower unit since the tech think it overheated at some point. I dont think there is anyone around the Cincinnati area that will rebuild this motor, the 2 shops I know of, one guy will not touch them and the other wants $4500 to put reman block on it so that may be a problem. I need some advice from the guys that have been at this point with their outboards before, what would you do? At this point I have $1200 invested in motor.

Compression test:
    1=120
    2=98
    3=120
    4=110
    5=120
    6=120

2. Member
    ecu prob can be repaired/don't need control box yours will work/id pull the head off ASUMMING comp was checked correctly and look may be just leaking gasket /oring
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    And I would really say you have one cylinder low, the 110 is lower but within normal tolerances. I would definitely do as Joe says and pull the heads and have a look. Take some pictures and post here.

4. Member
    What is the worst case scenario money cost on a rebuild for this motor? The mechanic said ecu was probably fried when the original owner cut control cables to remove motor from boat... Not sure though. All he said was that it didn't have power and he couldn't get his laptop to connect to it. So for argument sake let's assume I have to replace Ecu, rebuild engine and rebuild/replace lower unit. Am I looking at $5 Grand, more, less? or is this not a cost effective option to go. There is no sense in me tearing into this motor if I can get better used one cheaper. Catch 22 lol

5. Member
    5K sounds close. I would sell as parts, sell your current motor and buy a good used one with the power you want.

In my opinion parting it out can be a pain and long waiting for buyers. I just purchased an 05 175 optimax for $1000 complete needs compressor and complete service. Which ever you decide will cost you some $. Good luck on which you decide.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and update your post with the REQUIRED info. Thanks!

I agree with Joe.... pull the PORT cylinder head and inspect for gasket or o-ring damage. The two lowest cylinders are adjacent to each other... you'll have a pretty good idea of what you're working with at that point.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    2002 mercury 175 efi serial# 0T566138

I am picking it up from the shop tomorrow so I will take a look. I'll post back my results.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    Give a call,we can help,Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    2002 mercury 175 efi serial# 0T566138

I am picking it up from the shop tomorrow so I will take a look. I'll post back my results.

10. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Simon Motor Sports, http://www.simonmotorsports.com/ can rebuild the ECU for around 500.00, lots better tha n $2000.00 for a new one.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

Any update?
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

12. Member
    Well guys...you are not going to believe this. It has been a crazy week for me and my 175 EFI. I originally posted that the boat shop I took the outboard to told me the ECU was bad, compression was bad block needs rebuilt and when I picked the motor up they proceeded to tell me the lower unit was probably seized due to overheating as they could not get it out of gear....They told me to get rid of motor to the first guy that would take it off my hands for scrap. They then charged me $200 for this analysis. Needless to say I am super bummed. I proceeded to put the motor on Craigslist hoping that someone would bestow some kindness on me and take this off my hands to be broken into a hundred pieces so I could at least recoup some of the money I laid out on an untested motor, it was a gamble, I am no dummy I knew the risk. I did have a few calls from C-List but no one ever came to see the motor. So one evening I was talking to a buddy of mine and he suggested I give a boat mechanic friend of his a call and explain the situation and maybe he would be interested in buying the motor for parts. So I make the call and end up talking to a very nice and knowledgeable guy for about 30 minutes about this Mercury, towards the end of the conversation he asks if he could come over with some diagnostic tools and see what I've got as he thinks he can fix it....! Needless to say I started to get my hopes up again about this motor. Well I meet him on Saturday morning and he looks at the motor for a few then proceeds to mess with shift linkage and low and behold the prop shaft spins freely....what the heck? So he tells me the lower unit isn't fried and he can get it into gear and out of gear by messing with the shift linkage under the cowl, go figure. He then breaks out his voltmeter and tests the the electrical system and tells me all is good....huh????! I told him that the previous shop said ECU was bad/fried and that I shouldnt have spark....well he sorta laughed at this sprayed some stuff in the spark plug holes and told me to hold the motor while he starts it....."While you WHAT????!!" Again he just chuckles and turns the key on his set of controls he hooked up and BAM!!! She fires right up and purrs!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!! I am floored and grinning like girl in a chocolate shop.

I just got back from taking the motor to his shop today where he is going to go through everything and tune her up. The lower unit does need servicing and he does his own rebuilds and has a guy to pressure test/seal the system at a MUCH cheaper cost than I was expecting. I will wait to hear back from him regarding compression, however based on how it idled he didnt act like the block needed rebuilding and thought that the lower PSI cylinder was due to being dry or just laying around too long. So maybe with some crossed fingers a hail Mary or two and a pinch of fairy dust this 175 might be pushing my Nitro around a lake soon!

Oh, and I gotta tell you there is a certain boat shop around here (who will remain nameless) that REALLY SUCKS.

13. Banned
    Great to hear , there are a lot of steelerships around good luck hope it all works out for you!

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Glad you have someone willing to dig a bit deeper into the situation for you.

BTW... on the ECU, don't necessarily assume it's good. ECU has 4 drivers (one for fuel pump, three for injector pairs). Drivers are notorious for coming loose from the board in the ECU (this CAN usually be repaired).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Member
    Out of curiosity, does EFI motors need the fast idle/key choke on the remote controls? I have a set of Mercury controls for my 2005 115 ELPTO will they work?

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, choke is not required (throttle only mode is available on virtually every control).

Most 2005 vintage controls would work- verify the keyswitch harness plug end (7 or 8 pin will work).

17. Member
    [QUOTE=bnt55;8238871]Well guys...you are not going to believe this. oh I believe sometimes its all about the money we have to make a living but but there are some crooks out there
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

18. Member
    Name the shop, let others know where to stay clear of

19. Member
    Ive heard that this shop does fairly decent repairs on newer motors, so I am not going to bash them, however if you are in my area there is really only one big boat shop so the deduction is pretty simple.

On the bright side the mechanic ran the compression numbers and all cylinders are between 115-120 with NO low compression issues. He did say he wanted to drop the lower unit and if he finds any play he will repair/rebuild. All the fuel system has been cleaned and checked out good, looks like I'm going to be hanging the motor on the boat soon! I got a 6" adjustable jackplate to help with setup, Im thinking about starting the motor height at 3.5" prop to pad.

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast