Thread: St Clair depth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

St Clair depth

Looking to buy Talons...gonna be fishing St Clair a lot for smallies on a daily basis probably. Have a 19' Ranger, so a little timid about the Talon weights but not worried. Wondering if a 10' would work just as well as a 12' model or if I would really want the extra 2' for average fishing

Get a spotlock capable trolling motor instead. Poles might be useful for bedfishing in the spring, but after that not so much - other than those with drift paddles to use instead of a drift sock.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. smallie_maniac
    Poles are beneficial EVERY DAY. I hardly use rope at the ramp..... :)

4. Member
    Talons and power poles are pretty much useless on big water other than launching...for me anyway, it's not worth it carrying that extra weight to save from tying off..
    I see your from TC...You definetly would get some use there on Charlevoix and the other inland lakes in that area in the spring..

If I were getting talons, I would get the 12'.

6. dartag1829
    They look pretty at the Gas Station. I rarely see guys using them in open water. Even on inland lakes. Unless bed fishing like stated in other posts. Thinking an auto trolling motor may be a better purchase.

7. smallie_maniac
    River situations they are invaluable also.

8. Member
    For the sake of my marriage, the wife wants them at the ramp so I quit yelling at her about hitting the docks. Figured $4k on a hooker to tie the ropes for me when I want to fish or $4k for the marriage...so for the kids benefit I'd like Talons. We like to go up and swim a bunch to, so anchoring in 10' for family time would be easy. I think I'm going to get an Ultrex probably next season. Not so worried about hole shot and weight, mainly a weekend warrior that doesn't do a lot of tourney stuff.

And I agree, for the next 4 mths in TC they will be invaluable...but once I move to D town not sure how often they will be deployed. Got a great deal of $3850 for 2 12' and 4 brackets so if figure if I try them and don't use em I'll sell next winter for $3k and buy the tm.

you will find 10' very adequate for the next 2-3 months on st. clair also. Mine were on the boat, i don't use them much other than at the dock. not sure i would make the investment on my own had they not already been part of the package. That being said, there are a handful of times a year (for me) where they are nice to have.

I use them in Muscamoot and at the end of the Sni. I also use my Ultrex a lot.

11. Member
    Spotlock is way more valuable on St. Clair than poles. Poles are great in the shallows but spot lock will get you by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Get a spotlock capable trolling motor instead. Poles might be useful for bedfishing in the spring, but after that not so much - other than those with drift paddles to use instead of a drift sock.

12. Member
    Spotlock...Do you spin in circles in the wind around the axis of the trolling motor??

Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    Spotlock...Do you spin in circles in the wind around the axis of the trolling motor??
    Yes.
    But generally speaking the wind does not do circles that fast... Your bow will always be into the wind.

Lu Bedevia
    1997 Ranger R82 Sport
    1997 Mercury 150 XR6

14. Member
    Brian, i love my spotlock. Will never go back. Maybe if you would take a day off you could come out and see it in action. It's awesome for perch fishing, don't have to mess with anchor. I even use it when jigging for walleye. As soon as i hook a fish, i hit spot lock so i stop drifting downriver. Many times i have caught another one as soon as i resume fishing. Yes it even holds in the current of the detroit river.

15. Member
    All the charts I see appear to have all areas in the North bay area and grass flats and near the middle channel entrance North to Lake Huron as less than 10'. I will spend a lot of time in the canals with the kids and senkos, but look for smallies when I'm alone. My best guess is 10' ones will work, and anything deeper I'll just use the standard trolling motor technique with string at the graph

Quote Originally Posted by muyman22 View Post
    All the charts I see appear to have all areas in the North bay area and grass flats and near the middle channel entrance North to Lake Huron as less than 10'. I will spend a lot of time in the canals with the kids and senkos, but look for smallies when I'm alone. My best guess is 10' ones will work, and anything deeper I'll just use the standard trolling motor technique with string at the graph
    water level has been over the chart datum printed on maps and on chips. 34 inches over right now. So if a map says 10', actual depth is 10' + 34"' so almost 13'

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jessemyers View Post
    water level has been over the chart datum printed on maps and on chips. 34 inches over right now. So if a map says 10', actual depth is 10' + 34"' so almost 13'
    Very useful information, Jesse!
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

18. dartag1829
    First trip to Muskamoot last spring I was running my waypoints and the depth was off by 2 feet. When we stopped I could see why. Lake is a lot higher now.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Same here. Fishing "drops" early last summer that my chart showed as 12-13, they actually were 15'.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

20. Member
    And just cause the poles are 10' or 12' doesn't men they'll hold the boat at that depth. My 8's really only work at 5-6' unless it's dead calm. If you can't bury them, you'll hop.
    -Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast