18 Explorer / Jack plate question

2008 Triton 18 Explorer, 115 Optimax w/ Laser 21 prop. The boat is running right at 50 mph by the gps and I suspect that's not too bad for a 115 on this boat but I had to move my trolling motor batteries to the bow storage area to get a decent hole shot and I have to trim the motor up to it's limit while running to get the boat on the pad. It's still drawing water at that point but I don't think it should have to be trimmed that far. I'd like to get the boat on it's pad without having to limit out the trim.
    Would a jack plate make any difference on this hull and if so, would a manual jack plate do the job or do I need a hydraulic plate to keep a good hole shot and how much set back would you recommend?
    Thanks in advance
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

2. Member
    Put ALL the batteries back in the stern, if you want to ever run on the pad again.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Put ALL the batteries back in the stern, if you want to ever run on the pad again.
    this and adjust your holeshot with the pvc plugs in your prop
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

It runs on the pad now but requires max tilt to get there and with the batteries in the stern, it took forever to get on plane so if that's my only option, I'll leave the batteries in the bow and try a manual jack plate.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 13tzx190 View Post
    adjust your holeshot with the pvc plugs in your prop
    That might help. Hadn't thought about the PVS plug. I'll try it. Thanks
    Last edited by SeaPro Admin; 03-15-2017 at 06:33 AM.

5. Member
    Your boat, but batteries should always be in the stern, then there are other things you can do to make the holeshot/planning better..........

Your boat, but batteries should always be in the stern, then there are other things you can do to make the holeshot/planning better..........
    I completely agree and they were a lot easier to maintain when they were back there but moving the weight forward allows it to get on plane without taking forever like it did. Figured it couldn't hurt since the majority of saltwater bay boats have the trolling motor batteries mid ship under the console or closer to the bow. Bass boats are probably a completely different animal. I'm going to experiment with the prop and possibly a manual jack plate and if I can get a decent hole shot without losing too much speed, the batteries will go back to the stern where they belong. Thanks again
    Last edited by SeaPro Admin; 03-15-2017 at 01:26 PM.

7. Member
    I have a 18 explorer as well with the 115 opti. I have no issues getting on plane. I have a 22 pitch prop and usually run around 48-50mph @ 5600 ish rpm. I do not have a jack plate.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaPro Admin View Post
    I completely agree and they were a lot easier to maintain when they were back there but moving the weight forward allows it to get on plane without taking forever like it did. Figured it couldn't hurt since the majority of saltwater bay boats have the trolling motor batteries mid ship under the console or closer to the bow. Bass boats are probably a completely different animal. I'm going to experiment with the prop and possibly a manual jack plate and if I can get a decent hole shot without losing too much speed, the batteries will go back to the stern where they belong. Thanks again
    Yes, leave the batteries in the back and work with your prop and possibly add a jackplate. Moving just one battery to the front will change the center of gravity in your boat and can cause you more headaches then good.

The PVS plugs in the prop are already the large openings so I can't do any adjustment without taking it to the prop shop for some tuning. I've got a jack plate on the way so hopefully that will help.

10. Member
    You can completely remove one plug at a time and try it. That will open up the hole and let the prop vent more.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

I'll try taking them completely out..one at a time. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IowaAngler View Post
    I have a 18 explorer as well with the 115 opti. I have no issues getting on plane. I have a 22 pitch prop and usually run around 48-50mph @ 5600 ish rpm. I do not have a jack plate.
    PM sent