Thread: Cover Support

Cover Support

Shortly after I bought my Ranger RT188 in 2014, the cover developed a large pond in a rain storm and broke my windshield. I looked at several ideas on the forum but all the supports I saw required a lot of storage space when not in use. I wanted something that was easy to install and could be stored with the cover, so I came up with this. The materials and construction are pretty evident in the picture. I used a nylon rope so I could get enough stretch to provide tension for support but still be able to install it over the seat poles. Just thought I would share in case someone is trying to solve this problem.

Attached Images Attached Images

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    Great idea. Don't want to hijack your thread but can anyone recommend a good cover for a tracker 195 TXW?
    -Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mingo72 View Post
    Great idea. Don't want to hijack your thread but can anyone recommend a good cover for a tracker 195 TXW?
    You may want to post this question in the Tin Boats forum I saw a thread about this subject recently and there are some very knowledgeable guys over there.

4. Member
    Great idea. Is it just a PVC elbow with a cap on it...hole drilled in the cap for the rope to go into; and the whole thing slips over the seat post?

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Great idea. Is it just a PVC elbow with a cap on it...hole drilled in the cap for the rope to go into; and the whole thing slips over the seat post?
    That's correct. I took one the seat post to Lowes to find the correct size elbow that would just slip over the post. It assembles and breaks down quickly without climbing into the boat. I just roll it up in the cover So everything stays together.

6. Member
    Awesome. Do you remember what diameter elbow you got? Is it just the elbow? It almost looks like there's another piece of PVC attached to the elbow so it slips about 6" down the seat post.

Thanks!

Awesome. Do you remember what diameter elbow you got? Is it just the elbow? It almost looks like there's another piece of PVC attached to the elbow so it slips about 6" down the seat post.
    Thanks!
    My memory is foggy on that detail I will look at it tomorrow and post a material list.

8. Member
    Awesome idea

Thanks!
    You are correct: The elbow is fitted into a 1 1/2 X 1/2 inch tee. I did this to give more bearing surface over the seat post. I used a tee instead of a sleeve because I thought I may need additional cover support toward the transom or bow and the 1/2 threaded port would give me an attachment point for a bungee cord.
    Following is a parts list. I normally go to Lowes and put together the parts in stock to get to the desired results.
    1. 1 1/2 X 1/2 PVC Tee
    2. 1 1/2 Street Elbow
    3. 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 Threaded bushing
    4. 1 1/4 Threaded Plug

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Thanks! Very much appreciated!!

I'm having the same problem, been trying to figure out a good system. I'll be heading to Lowe's. Thanks
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

I have a custom travel cover and the front deck portion would suck down to the deck at hwy speed, it would also hold rainwater. I tried several pvc combinations and even fiberglass ribs made for cover tenting ,but at speed they would collapse.My solution is a vinyl exercise peanut pumped up and placed on the deck before cover goes on, it keeps front deck tented at speed and weighs nothing.

Looks Great

I made a three leg tripod out of PVC. One leg sits on the back deck and the other two sit port and starboard in the cock pit.

Question: I like your idea & would like to use it, but, my particular boat cover is a heavy canvas type cover. I'm a little concern as to the weight of the cover sagging the rope way down. I would think that you would need something a little stiffer or something in the middle to hold/prop the cover up better. I my case, I would be using it on a 2006 Procraft 210 Super Pro. I have been using a PVC system that is stronger, but is more of a headache to deal with than yours. And that is why I am interested in yours. May go ahead and try it and see.

Quote Originally Posted by kybob View Post
    Question: I like your idea & would like to use it, but, my particular boat cover is a heavy canvas type cover. I'm a little concern as to the weight of the cover sagging the rope way down. I would think that you would need something a little stiffer or something in the middle to hold/prop the cover up better. I my case, I would be using it on a 2006 Procraft 210 Super Pro. I have been using a PVC system that is stronger, but is more of a headache to deal with than yours. And that is why I am interested in yours. May go ahead and try it and see.
    If you can get enough tension in the rope, it will hold without sagging. I had to experiment with the placement of the knot until I got so I had to stretch the rope to it's limit and was just barely able to get the elbow over the seat post. Hope this works for you. At least it is not an expensive experiment.

I used 2 inch PVC and made a support for the old cover on my Lund that looks like a saw horse. I have since had a custom cover made and gave this support to my cousin to use on his boat. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=cover+support
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

K Thanks I'm going to try it and see how it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I used 2 inch PVC and made a support for the old cover on my Lund that looks like a saw horse. I have since had a custom cover made and gave this support to my cousin to use on his boat. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=cover+support
    Jeff - This is first class, both the design and fabrication.

20. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I did the same but used pvc for the whole thing including the rope. I replaced with pvc and the pedestals with pvc also I fit a wooden dowl into the post hole and went with pvc up to the height I wanted then across with pvc pipe with 2 elbows to join them and it is easy to remove or put in and strong enough for a heavy canvas cover. I only use mine in winter and it works great even in the snow. I'll try to get a pic later
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years