2017 Triton 18TRX setup

Hey everyone,
    I recently bought a 2017 Triton 18 TRX with 200 Mercury Pro XS, 24 pitch Fury prop, and 6 inch Hi Jacker jack plate, still less than 10 hours on motor. This is my first post on here and I'm new to setting up a boat and motor, so please forgive my ignorance. After reading several other setup posts, I'm wondering what I can do to get the best performance out of my new rig. Right now, I can only run 63 alone in boat before it starts chine walking badly, but it has more throttle and trim to go. Can hit 65 before same thing happens with fishing partner. RPM's only around 5200-5300. Prop to pad is right at 4.75 inches. Also, not sure how to describe this but boat sometimes feels like it "slips" sometimes in turns, like a sudden shift to one side, even if they are gentle turns not drastic while at faster speeds but not at top end.

Unfortunately, boat did not come with water pressure gauge, but I'm having one installed (ordered 4 weeks ago, still waiting on the part). Should I consider raising the motor any even though it has a Fury prop? Lower unit has water pick-ups at front as well as on sides. And will that help give more top end speed and maybe help the chine walking as well? Love my new boat but think it may be capable of more. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks

2. Member
    Would not raise motor until you get the WP gauge installed. If your boat came from Bunch Marine, the setup up will be correct or VERY close. They normally will lake test new rigs before delivery. A good running boat will chine walk some. Lots of threads here address the issue. Seat time will help. You may need to trim down some in turns to combat the sliding issue. Congrats on the new rig.

3. Member
    Thanks for the quick reply, and I figured I had better wait on WP gauge. My boat came from Tri County Marine so don't think they water test them but not sure.

Raising the motor might help with the chine walking, I know it did with my boat, but as mentioned I'd wait until I got the WP gauge before doing that. Also, I think its hard to say what is needed if you can't get get to WOT before backing down. How are you working your way up to top speed? Are you trimming up and then increasing throttle or going full throttle and then trimming up? I do with the later and ease up to top speed if you have room to run that long. If it starts to walk, you provide steering input to prevent it and if you can't trim down (don't chop the throttle) until it stops and try again. If doing this you can't get it to max out RPMs and you still have good WP I'd start raising the jackplate.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

5. Member
    I have been working on my setup since last fall and I think I finally got it right. I couldn't find a lot of info on this boat when I got mine so there was a lot of trial and error. I locked mine in this past Sunday. With 2 guys ( about 450lbs) and full of fuel and my gear 70.6 at 5730 rpms and very little chine walk. First thing I will say is get a 25 tempest plus prop. My boat did not like the 24 fury. My sweet spot ended up 2 1/8 ptp with 24.5 psi water pressure on mercmonitor. I did send the prop to Mark and Im sure that helped on the top end. There was no noticeable difference in holeshot between the fury and the tempest and Im running medium size plugs in all 3 holes.
    2016 Triton 18 TRX
    200 Mercury Pro XS

6. Member
    Thanks again for the replies. Yes, berudd, I have room to run at my lakes in East TN, so I usually go throttle first then ease trim up to speed but have never been able to hit max RPM's. Once I get WP gauge I'll start experimenting more with the jack plate and see. As for the Tempest prop idea that's interesting to see how much it helped your rig, 13tzx190, since you have the same boat and motor that I do. Will have to look into that. Over 70 with full load is impressive, especially with very little chine walk. I have read a lot about the chine walk on here, and I understand why it happens, but right now it's so bad on my boat that I'm not comfortable driving thru it. It's not just a little bit, and so far bumping the trim down and slight steering corrections haven't helped. But I'm sure I need more seat time to learn. Had 2 other boats but they drove completely different.

7. Member
    I just bought a brand new 17 trx18 with 175 pro xs and around 60 the chine walk is to scary to even drive through. This is not my first fast boat but by far the most dangerous. Also I'm turning 6200 rpms is that normal

8. Member
    I have a 2016 18 TRX with the Mercury 200 PRO XS and two Talons. From dealer my prop to pad was at 4 and 1/4 below pad. Was getting same numbers as you with same severe walk. Still don't have 10 hours on motor. After reading on this forum I raised my motor nearly 1/2 inch and after one trip to the lake I can tell things are a little better. The walk doesn't seem to start as fast or hard. I've heard that with my Fury prop I may be able to run as high as 3 inch below pad of boat. Anyone else have this boat care to weigh in on their setup? Please keep this thread updated with your results. I also have felt that shift to one side you talked about. Did not like the way it felt. Anyone know what causes it?

Quote Originally Posted by Byrdman15f View Post
    I just bought a brand new 17 trx18 with 175 pro xs and around 60 the chine walk is to scary to even drive through. This is not my first fast boat but by far the most dangerous. Also I'm turning 6200 rpms is that normal
    No, 6200 is not normal. That's high enough I'd question the accuracy of your tach. Mercury states the WOT RPMS as being 5250 - 5750. I'd think the rev limiter would prevent you from hitting 6200. What prop are you using?
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

10. Member
    I have a 2015 18TRX with a 200 PRO XS and a 24 tempest. My Prop to pad when I got it was 4+ inches (I don't remember the exact measurement) and it chine walked bad. I have the prop to pad at 2.5 inches now and very little chine walking and top speed at 69-70.

You would have to question the boats keep coming out with the 24 fury and low engine setting if its a problem. Surely by now someone who factory rigs these boats has had the feedback and changed the set up?

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by thommo59 View Post
    You would have to question the boats keep coming out with the 24 fury and low engine setting if its a problem. Surely by now someone who factory rigs these boats has had the feedback and changed the set up?
    They recommend a low setting to load the motor during break in.. I didn't touch my jack plate till I got to the 12 hr mark or so. Per mercuys manual you don't want the motor high during break in. I'd say this is why they don't come pre setup.

13. Member
    - Several dealers set them low for break in to load the motor (this is why guys only get 5200ish rpm and 63 mph top end during break in or after 10 hrs). My motor also has the 4 holes 1/4 to 1/2 inch size or so holes in the front of the lower unit around the shaft area (low water pickups?). This is great for water pressure, but not so good for sucking in debris and clogging up other stuff. For reference this initial dealer setup will be about 4.5 to 5 inches lower than what you will be at after breakin. Dealers should not be setting a brand new motor at 2.5-3.0 inches prop to pad (doesn't load the boat enough during first few hours of breakin).
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:28 AM.

14. Member
    Most 18TRX's with a 200 run close to 70mph. Sounds like you may be low and need to raise the engine. Start off in 1/2 increments watching your water pressure. This will help with chine walk but the only cure is learning to drive the boat. The best way to learn is have a fellow Triton owner that is familiar with chine walk. Once you learn it becomes very simple. I was taught back years ago when I has 15 foot Hydrasport with a 150, then I graduated to a 17 foot Hydrasport with a 200.

15. Member
    What this means is your water pressure will be much higher 20+ psi than an older optimax model that maybe had side gearcase water intakes. This also means your water pressure might be over 20 psi above 5000 rpm or WOT and your speed & prop breaking loose on slight turns will be poor before your water pressure drops. On older optimax with side water intakes, you water pressure would go down more noticeable if motor was to high, but I don't think it drops as much with the new front water intake holes. I could be wrong, but my WOT water pressure is like 23 psi and I'm 3/4 inch from maxing out the jackplate height.
    Last edited by barmour; 05-02-2021 at 09:42 AM.