24 volt trolling motor questions

Planning on going with the ultrex. I have always had 12 volt trolling motors in the past. I'm going to use 2 agm battery's for power. What charger would you Guys recommend. Going to put charger on shelf in garage. I also need to buy charger receptacle for 24v. Anything else I need? Thanks in advance

2. Banned
    Keep in mind while not new to boats, I'm new to bass boats, so tak emy opinion for what it is. I have the NOCO Genius https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GENM3-Wa.../dp/B01FRQTXCC with no issues. I decided not to get the 30 AMP version as I have no need for quick recharge capability. Not sure what you mean by a 24V charger receptacle, while the TM is a 24V motor it is still run off 12V batteries just hooked in series to provide the needed 24 volts.

3. Member
    I guess I meant where you plug trolling motor into bow area. I want to put the matching male end on my charger. When I put last one in I cut the 24 volt wires off, figuring I would never use them. Damn Ultrex LoL

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bstandiford View Post
    I guess I meant where you plug trolling motor into bow area. I want to put the matching male end on my charger. When I put last one in I cut the 24 volt wires off, figuring I would never use them. Damn Ultrex LoL
    Gotcha...the plug is the same for 12v or 24v.

5. Member
    If you are going to charge with an external charger, the Lester X series is supposed to be very good. You will also need a good jumper wire if you are planning on jumping the batteries at the back. Not sure if you plan to hook up the other two wires you said you cut off and jump them at the front though. Make sure your wire gauge is adequate as well as having the right breaker for your troller. If you are charging externally, most don't bother with a plug at the front but just connect the charger directly to the batteries in the rigging area.

http://www.lesterelectrical.com/products/x-series/
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Thanks. I've always had Lester chargers for my big motor, 60 volt. They are very dependable chargers. I was thinking there maybe something less expensive. 8k in batteries and getting ready to buy ultrex I'm getting hammered dollarwise.

7. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Thanks. I've always had Lester chargers for my big motor, 60 volt.
    Your big motor uses a 60 volt battery....Five 12volt batteries in series?

They are very dependable chargers
    Perhaps dependable if parts can be found......Last time I saw similar technology I was in high school.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 03-15-2017 at 10:50 AM.

8. Member
    I have a 60volt electric RAY motor for my main motor. Always ran 10 lead acid 6volt batteries. Went to a single 60volt lithium battery pack at the end of last year. (Relion battery)It took about 500+ lbs out of the boat.We fish electric only water supply reservoirs. Some guys are getting close to 20 mph.

9. Member
    And I thought I had too much weight in batteries, holy cow!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

10. Member
    I originally had 12 6 volt battery's and 1 12 volt battery. My new Relion 60 volt battery does make a big difference in the weight!

11. Member
    Minn Kota, You can change the charging mode to what type of battery you're using. AGM or Wet Cell