Is a Verado Pro Higher Horsepower?

Howdy,

I was told that the "Pro"on a Verado means that, among other things, the motor is rated 10% above its stated horsepower. So, by that logic a Verado Pro 300 is really 330 horsepower. Is this true?

Take care,

Ruddiger

actual numbers are questionable but, the PRO is: gear ratio (mainly for bass boat applications on prop choices) tuning (octane sensor, 87 octane to 91 octane / more advanced timing results in power) so yes its stronger than a stock Verado.

PRO models are tuned for power.
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

This discussion went around a while ago.

Here's the thread -

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=779768

Based on all the research I did and the people I've talked to, the ONLY differences throughout the Verado lineup in Standard vs. Pro format are the gear case and the decals.

Waxy

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Waxy- that comparison was for a 300.

This question is a 250.

Comparing the 250 and the 250 Pro, the gearcase, decals AND PCM CALIBRATION are different.

Better power output is not accomplished by an "octane sensor". The PCM utilizes inputs from the KNOCK sensors to help determine the quality of the fuel, and how much timing can be added without inducing "knock".

Best power is achieved on 91+ octane fuel (but BOTH models of the 250 can run 87 octane).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

This question is a 250.

Comparing the 250 and the 250 Pro, the gearcase, decals AND PCM CALIBRATION are different.

Better power output is not accomplished by an "octane sensor". The PCM utilizes inputs from the KNOCK sensors to help determine the quality of the fuel, and how much timing can be added without inducing "knock".

Best power is achieved on 91+ octane fuel (but BOTH models of the 250 can run 87 octane).

my wrong, its the knock sensor and that's my fault guys. It does have a little more snap to it on 91+ octane
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

This question is a 250.

Yes, I know he was talking the 250.

My position, based on my research and discussions, is that the PCM programming that uses knock sensor for timing calibration in order to maximize HP output according to fuel octane levels is universal to all L6 Verados. All L6 Verados will produce max. HP when running 91+ Octane fuel.

I don't want to get into an argument, we've been there and done that, so that's all I'll say on it.

Waxy

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    MOST of the Verado models utilize knock sensors, and do compensate timing and/or fuel delivery as dictated by knock being present (often will enact a Guardian Strategy as well).

Not all Verado models utilize knock sensors (or even have them).

PCM calibrations do vary, as do the strategies and MAP tables contained in them.

Ruddiger... hopefully you've obtained the info you wanted, if not, feel free to ask for further clarification.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Howdy,

Well, I am not sure that I have, however, it appears that the horsepower is the same, however, there are enhancements in the lower unit and fuel consumption to maximize its potential?

I was told that the "Pro" in any of the Mercury models meant that it was actually operating at 10% above the stated rating. So, a 200 Pro XS was really pushing out 220 HP at the prop. I was told the same was true for the Verado.

Is it fair to say that was not true?

Thanks,

Ruddiger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruddiger View Post
    Howdy,

Well, I am not sure that I have, however, it appears that the horsepower is the same, however, there are enhancements in the lower unit and fuel consumption to maximize its potential?

I was told that the "Pro" in any of the Mercury models meant that it was actually operating at 10% above the stated rating. So, a 200 Pro XS was really pushing out 220 HP at the prop. I was told the same was true for the Verado.

Is it fair to say that was not true?

Thanks,

Ruddiger
    It is an ancient Chinese secret On the DFI two strokes there is some differences on the verdao not so clear. If you strap a pro and non pro same HP on same hull you would not see too much difference.