Thread: Lake Pepin area

Lake Pepin area

Me and some buddies are doing our annual spring fishing trip on Pepin this year April 27-30. Looking to do some bass fishing (preferably smallmouth). What can we look forward to finding? I've only fished up there once and it was 15 years ago so I don't remember much of the landscape. Are there any hazards to look out for and is there a speed limit on the lake? I know there's some tournaments on that stretch of the river but we tried to plan around them so hoping the area isn't too busy. I know it all depends on weather but should most of the fish be shallower that time of the year? Thanks for any replies.

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I don't believe the season for bass starts until the second Saturday of May.

3. Member
    Pretty sure border water is open year round
    Pool 10

Year round season.

If you are going to stay on Pepin, through a jerk bait around the rip rap and hit the marinas.

If you are going to go down in the river, through a spinner bait and jig in the warmest water you can find in the backwater areas. Be careful running around in the backwaters.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I'll probably stay around the lake for the most part looking for smallmouth. If we can't find them there maybe we will hit up the backwaters down river for largemouth. I guess time will tell on what the water level and temperature will be. Looking forward to checking the place out!

6. Member
    There is a 2 day tourney on Pepin that weekend out of Wabasha. Don't quote me, but I think last year they had around 30+ boats.

No speed limit on the lake.

Good luck, and let us know how you do.

7. Member
    Ok cool. There could be a tournament that weekend also. I think the St Jude tournament is the weekend after. Like I said we did try to plan around the tournament schedules so hopefully we will be out of the way some. Do you guys think it'll be busy on the water Thursday and Friday?

8. Member
    It will be busy! Always is.

Don't overlook the backwaters for smallies. Especially if the river comes up a little by then.

9. Member
    Ok. Thanks for the heads up!

10. Member
    Just make sure you have a map chip for wing dams even though the water will be high, and watch out for any trees/debris coming down river. That time of year can be hit or miss depending on the weather. Pool 4 is a big stretch of water so regardless of a tournament there is plenty of water. Just don't be surprised if you see a boat on something you want to fish and have to keep going. You can always search for largies & smallies, and can always switch it up to walleyes if you want too.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

11. Member
    I've got a Fishing Hot Spots map coming for Lake Pepin and I have a navionics chip for my 899. Will that show me the wing dams? Are there wing dams actually in the lake itself or just in the river above and below?

12. Member
    Yes it will show the wing dams. There are wing dams are in the river above and below, there aren't any in the lake.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

13. Member
    Thanks mn_bowhunter

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Like I said we did try to plan around the tournament schedules so hopefully we will be out of the way some.
    There is at least one, sometimes two and even three tourneys on that pool every weekend from April 23 to May 20th, and those are just the ones that you can easily find listed online. Unfortunately you can expect plenty of company on the water.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/educati...iver_guide.pdf

its a link to booklet that is free and shows wing dams. It might be good to,have along with your other map
    http://www.scvwl.com
    2013 Ranger 620VS Yamaha 250 and Yamaha 9.9 kicker

16. Member
    Thanks red314