Thread: courtesy lights

courtesy lights

Hello boys . . .

has anyone replaced the old-school courtesy lights with LEDs? Looking for some ideas. I have 4 of these around my deck, 2 on the front, 2 on the back. They measure approx 3.75 x 2.5". I would like to replace with LED lights, so something of approximate size so i don't have to cut into the deck and i am not left with an unsightly hole where the old lights were.

i have searched around on west, overtons, etc with little success, haven't found anything that matches up very well size-wise.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --------------
    97 Charger 186TF, 96 Johnny 150 Fast Strike, 23 Renegade

2. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    take the bulb out and get part number ,there's a lot of led replacement bulbs on line.Mine has 194 bulbs and replaced with led 194 .

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    take the bulb out and get part number ,there's a lot of led replacement bulbs on line.Mine has 194 bulbs and replaced with led 194 .
    Thx. I will take a closer look at the housing, i thought it was a sealed unit, but it would make sense to have replacement bulbs
    --------------

4. Member
    welp. i pulled the light off tonight, and i'll be danged it i can figure out a way to get the bulb out without tearing the thing up. I am sure someone can, but i couldn't figure it out.

I did however get some additional info. The light was made by ITC marine - with a little searching, i found a replacement light that will fit the same hole. The replacement comes with a standard bulb, so you'd have to buy an LED bulb (168), basically about $12/light if you get the fixture and the LED bulb and it will fit all the mounting holes.

So if anyone has one as pictured above, do a search on 'ITC (80495-DB) Oval Courtesy Light' - they have them on amazon for $7.68/each. The bulbs are about $11 for a 2-pack.
    --------------

5. Member
    I have the same year and model boat, and mine had (originally) 1895 bulbs and replaced them with LUYED 3014 30-EX LED bulbs. They have 30 super bright white LED's and fit with just a hair of room to spare on length and they are bright. 30 LED's. I think they were 10$ for 10 bulbs. I think they are around 19$ now for the 10 pack and 10$ for the 5 pack.

6. Member
    thomas, how did you get to the bulb? were you able to remove the lens? when i tried i felt like i was going to break it, and i didn't see a way to access from the back.
    --------------

7. Member
    Ted, I pulled the two screws on the lens cover to gain access to the bulb. There is two more mounting screws inside on the housing/reflector. I used a heat gun/hair dryer to warm the lens up a little and used a pocket sized screwdriver to gently remove the lens. I cut a thin piece of rubber gasket material to put behind the lens and put a light coating of dielectric grease on it so it wouldn't stick again and hopefully provide a little more water resistance. Although my boat had been wired with reversed polarity on the deck lights, it wasn't a problem to re-wire them correctly so the LED's would work. At least that's the way my boat is Sir. Hope this helps.

8. Member
    thank you sir
    --------------