Thread: Stealth charger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stealth charger

I have 2 Deka lead trolling batteries and an Optima cranking batt. Should the charger do ok with this set-up? Just curious because I was showing fully charged yesterday morning and fished about 3 hrs and cranking batt was Dead, had to be jumped off.

2. Member
    My stealth charger bit the dust four years ago and replaced with a minn kota. I was having the same issues as you it would show charged and then peter out early in the day.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Shouldn't be a problem, have you verified the wiring?

Ive ran the stealth system for many years and never had that happen.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Question -- was this the first time out with that setup ?? Or have you used it before ?

Did you fish for 3 hours without starting the big mtr ?? If so that is long enough to lower the starting power to the point it won't fire these big outboards.If you are running multiple electronics and the livewell----learned that the hard way..

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Which optima are you using for a cranker?
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

6. Member
    I would have the cranking battery load tested before I through out the charger.

7. Member
    I'm still running down a completely dead cranking battery issue and I hope it's not related to my Stealth........Kind of doubt it as it was supplying 14.8 volts to the dead battery.......

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Question -- was this the first time out with that setup ?? Or have you used it before ?

Did you fish for 3 hours without starting the big mtr ?? If so that is long enough to lower the starting power to the point it won't fire these big outboards.If you are running multiple electronics and the livewell----learned that the hard way..
    Had this issue twice in the last two weeks. Added a third lowrance to the bow and that tipped the scales. The battery died again today after fishing for 6hrs, just running the fish finders. My battery is old, but way to coincidental that it showed up the same day I added the new graph. I'm getting a new starting battery this week. Look close at your optima. Most are not rated to start the opti's.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

After having issues with some (so called) 1000 amp starting batteries -I put my electronics on there own battery.
    This 300 takes a lot of RIGHT NOW juice or it won't fire.. There is a great piece stickered at the top of the Mercury 3 and 3.2 ltr page about "batteries that meet the requirements" for these big motors

10. Member
    I bought the group 31 optima 1155 mca. 155RC /23amp. I have had this boat in the water 5 times and this is the 3rd cranking battery ( haven't killed any just making trying to make sure I get what is recommended, one battery I took back before ever using)
    I put the optima in on Thursday, charged all night. Went to guntersville on fri fished 11-4 with no problem. Charged Friday night-fished tourn on sat livewell and electronics running, noticed units flickering on crank-up but started. Came home charged sat night fished tourn on Sunday and after s few hours fishing running livewell and electronics. Dead.

11. Member
    [QUOTE=BASS 1;8220805]I bought the group 31 optima 1155 mca. 155RC /23amp. I have had this boat in the water 5 times and this is the 3rd cranking battery ( haven't killed any just making trying to make sure I get what is recommended, one battery I took back before ever using)
    I put the optima in on Thursday, charged all night. Went to guntersville on fri fished 11

I have the same optima battery and two group 27 trollers (everstarts) and never had an issue. I have fished multiple 8-9 hr tournaments running a 1198 HB and 999HB, livewells and even the radio for most of the day and never had an issue. Sounds like either a charging issue or drain issue to me.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

Optima 31 is on "The list" of batteries that tested to Mercury's standards.
    Did it take a charge after you got home ? Have you done the battery clamp deal that is recommended by Don Weed on this topic ?
    My first suggestion would be to have it load tested, even a new battery can have issues. Next time out set your electronics so that you can monitor the battery amperage while running all your stuff. Be sure to crank the big motor before it gets low.. and watch to make sure it gets a good charge off the alternator.
    Even after I put my electronics on a separate battery I have to be careful---depending on how much I run the aerator and recirculate- it can pull down in as little as a few hours if I don't start the big motor and recharge it.
    I'm surprised you got it started by jumping it.. I have carried a pair of cables for years and was always able to jump the older motors.. Not this 300. Even with some HEAVY cables it won't start thru cables..

[QUOTE=rward69;8221220]
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 1 View Post
    I have the same optima battery and two group 27 trollers (everstarts) and never had an issue. I have fished multiple 8-9 hr tournaments running a 1198 HB and 999HB, livewells and even the radio for most of the day and never had an issue. Sounds like either a charging issue or drain issue to me.
    You fish 9 hours without starting the big motor ?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Optima 31 is on "The list" of batteries that tested to Mercury's standards.
    Did it take a charge after you got home ? Have you done the battery clamp deal that is recommended by Don Weed on this topic ?
    My first suggestion would be to have it load tested, even a new battery can have issues. Next time out set your electronics so that you can monitor the battery amperage while running all your stuff. Be sure to crank the big motor before it gets low.. and watch to make sure it gets a good charge off the alternator.
    Even after I put my electronics on a separate battery I have to be careful---depending on how much I run the aerator and recirculate- it can pull down in as little as a few hours if I don't start the big motor and recharge it.
    I'm surprised you got it started by jumping it.. I have carried a pair of cables for years and was always able to jump the older motors.. Not this 300. Even with some HEAVY cables it won't start thru cables..
    Too funny that two of us would have this going on at the same time. That was me yesterday. Last week when it died I was able to jump it with cables. Yesterday it was a no go. I had to pull the battery on the lake and swap in a troller. I was eyeing the optima 31 as well.

I'm shocked mine died yesterday. I'm going to put an amp meter on my setup and see how much juice it is pulling.

Anyone try one of these? http://tournamentsaverpro.com/store/

I found Rangers have this. Neat idea.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

I know two guys that have them but have not had to use them YET.
    Depending on what electronics you have -- there should be a screen that shows amps.

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 1 View Post
    I bought the group 31 optima 1155 mca. 155RC /23amp. I have had this boat in the water 5 times and this is the 3rd cranking battery ( haven't killed any just making trying to make sure I get what is recommended, one battery I took back before ever using)
    I put the optima in on Thursday, charged all night. Went to guntersville on fri fished 11-4 with no problem. Charged Friday night-fished tourn on sat livewell and electronics running, noticed units flickering on crank-up but started. Came home charged sat night fished tourn on Sunday and after s few hours fishing running livewell and electronics. Dead.
    Verify your stealth wiring...I have seen cases where it was wired wrong and it would fry the cranking battery.
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

17. Member
    It's rare but during some schooling times I have. Get to a spot and stay there and wait for schooling action. Placed well in some tournaments doing this.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

Quote Originally Posted by rward69 View Post
    It's rare but during some schooling times I have. Get to a spot and stay there and wait for schooling action. Placed well in some tournaments doing this.
    You my friend must have more patience than Jobe. And the absolute best battery ever built !!
    There has been a ton of money won on schooling fish but I have never seen anyone who could stay in one area for 8-9 hours and never fire the big motor.
    I'm amazed you had enough battery left to start the motor and make it to weigh in.
    I get nervous if I don't start the motor after a couple of hours just running the live well..

19. Member
    Hey, fished a tournament a c o tuple of years ago when I still had my xb2003 with a 300 drag. Went to my first spot at 5:30am never left it at 2:30p, tournament ended at 3:00 but only had 5 minute run, wouldn't crank, wouldn't jump, club member tower's back on plane ( most scared I've ever been in a boat) I won with 26+ babe came in second with 24. I believe his comment was " should a left your $## back in the lake". Not.gonna leave email if they're biting.

20. Member
    I would also make sure you are really charging hook a volt meter to the battery before you plug the charger in. See to it that you get a voltage increase when you plug it in. There are circuit breakers on each line of the stealth charger check them all and see if one resets when you push the button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast