Tilt and trim leaking?

I just drove 1000 miles from AZ to Texas to fish for a week with my dad. I have spent the last several months doing a complete restoration of his 1994 Ranger 492vs. I bought a used 2006 Verado 225 for it last fall and had worked all the kinks out on it and then hauled the boat back to AZ for restoration of everything else. I ran the boat last week and had not problems. When I arrived in Dallas a couple of hours ago I had what appears to be power trim fluid coming from the bottom of the trim unit. Enough to have a bead hanging off the bottom bolt and some on the cylinder itself and also on the little skid plate on the bottom. It should be noted I did not use a transom saver and only used the tab the motor came with.

can anyone advise if I should be worried about running the motor this week? My dad doesn't have very many trips left in his life and I would hate not to be able Tom take him this week. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Serial number 1B278468
    rich
    602-690-0803
    Last edited by rscustomrods; 03-13-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: added serial #

2. Member
    The leak is coming from the bottom ring. Not sure what to call it. There is a top ring that is tight and dry and a bottom ring I can move and spin with my finger and the fluid is coming from there. I checked the Allen bolts and they are tight. Don't know what to do. I have pics but can seem to attach them

Make sure the fill cap is tight, trim to max trim up, flip down the trim support lever. Twist the centercap (has wire in it), turn a quarter turn and fluid should be at bottom of threads. Twist back tight
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

4. Member
    It has zero to do with the cap. The cap is tight and the area around the cap is dry. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for your time,

Quote Originally Posted by rscustomrods View Post
    It has zero to do with the cap. The cap is tight and the area around the cap is dry. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for your time,
    ok could it be the steering leaking and running down on the front side. If not it maybe the bottom O-ring
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

6. Member
    I can't figure it out. It is not the steering and the tilt trim top cap is dry and tight. Yet I have fluid coming out around the bottom. Specifically where the big blue ring is that is present on the top and bottom of the big trim cylinder. I have absolutely no idea where it is coming from. I was hoping Don or Jethro might chime in as they have decades of experience. Thanks 2500 for trying to help.

JEFF MURRAY USMC

8. Member
    Well heck Jeff it looks like it is steering fluid after all. Could figure out how but I guess it is going underneath the big sleeve and Oozzing out at the bottom. I had to add quite a bit of fluid. Now I gotta research how to fix that.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might want to post a picture....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by rscustomrods View Post
    Well heck Jeff it looks like it is steering fluid after all. Could figure out how but I guess it is going underneath the big sleeve and Oozzing out at the bottom. I had to add quite a bit of fluid. Now I gotta research how to fix that.
    big oval oring on steering drive. could be that or loose?
    JEFF MURRAY USMC

11. Member
    Don I tried to post a picture but it wouldn't work. I found a place in Florida that rebuilds the steering cylinders but I don't know if that fixes the problem. The fluid is coming out the bottom of the pedestal. I learned that is what the thing is called. I don't know if there is a sel inside the pedestal or what.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There are seals there... but you also should not have FLUID there, either. It will be necessary to separate the steering cylinder OR the trim system and determine which one is the source of the fluid you are seeing.

This is likely a situation where it would be wise to enlist the assistance of a Verado-Qualified Dealer (with a Certified or Master Technician that is familiar with the systems of your engine).

You may also find it helpful to lookup the parts diaghrams, and reference the Mercury Service Manual for your engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

13. Member
    Thanks Don. I am gonna send the cylinder in to a place in Florida for inspection and repair as needed. No Verado mechanics around here.

Rich