Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Thanks to John I just rewired my 1992 Ranger 690 C trolling motor setup. I have 2017 80# Terrova 24 Volt motor
    I had the old 4 wire setup. My problem was the trolling motor receptacle- the plug from the trolling motor appeared fine. The receptacle was melting down.
    Installed the new 60A breaker and a 70 Amp Plug and Receptacle. The hardest part for me was removing the battery hold down on the rear battery. Tight spot and short arms were my problem. I also had to enlarge the hole for the TM receptacle. A grinding wheel on a drill worked great. Needed about 1/8" larger hole. a second set of hands came in helpful. For me it was a bit longer job because of my obstacles. I could do it with a helper on hand in 1 hour or so if I did it again. Looking forward to using it on the water.

I was able to use the red and black wires that were in the boat. I bought a 24" red cable 4 ga for the jumper between the 2 batteries.

Good project if you own an older boat. I expect my issues to go away with my trolling motor now that this is done.

Thanks for this board- I asked a few questions and got some simple answers. The hookup is very easy to understand. Now I have to change out a Navigation/Ancor light switch- 6 prongs on the back of it- way more difficult.

Steve
    Last edited by Sorgy; 08-20-2019 at 08:20 AM.

2. Member
    Now I have to change out a Navigation/Ancor light switch- 6 prongs on the back of it- way more difficult.

Not any more difficult. don't be intimidated by the 6 prongs and make sure you get a replacement for lights. The configuration is a little different. On a 6 prong rocker, when you push it up, the middle two mates with the bottom two. When you push up, the middle two mate with the upper two. The also mate in a straight line meaning the left is one circuit and the right is one circuit. With this knowledge, you'll want the middle two each fed by a positive wire. The bottom two will be the bow light and the stearn light. You'll have a jumper from the bottom stearn light to the top spade (stearn light side). This will make the stearn and bow hot when the switch is in the up position and just the stearn hot when switch is in the bottom position.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Just bought a 2004 Triton aluminum Crappie boat. Replacing a 12V Minn Kota with a 24V one. Presently it has one 2 wire hookup to the TM. There is another 2 wire hookup in it that has been taped up. Wanting to know what the other hookup is? Based on what I am reading here, it sounds like I must have a "4-wire" hookup. If this is the case, do I just put the other hookup on the new battery I am installing to get the 24V? Then I won't have to jumper the 2 batteries in series to get the 24V for the TM? Or should I just use the one hookup and connect the 2 batteries in series for the 24V? The TM plug in the boat just has 2 prongs. Will I have to change the TM plug which I guessing would require additional wiring? Or will that cause the present TM plug to get 2 hot? My new TM will be a Minn Kota Ulterra. I also bought a 3 bank onboard charger. After reading these posts, could I just have used the 2 bank charger that was presently in the boat?
    Last edited by lmbr; 10-01-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Correct punctuation and add more info.

4. Member
    That is going to depend on the size of the wiring you have in place. Do you know what size the trolling motor wiring is.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    It's not the 6 gauge that is recommended. Spoke to someone at the dealer today. The wiring in place has 2 red wires and 1 black. Checked both front and back and 1 red wire is taped on both ends. Dealer person said pulling a 6 gauge would be best but at least I should use both the red wires together. I don't know if they are 8 gauge or 10. They are the ones originally installed in the boat when new and 1 red and the black were on the originally installed 12 V Minn Kota. I'm guessing the manufacturer would have used 8 gauge but who knows. I tried pulling on the wires to see if I could use them to pull 6 gauge thru but as I expected they didn't move. In looking at a Minn Kota 24 V plug, there are terminals for 2 red and one black. Would using the 2 red wires work? I don't have the Minn Kota Ulterra here yet to see if the plug is wired like that. I'm guessing from the name of your business that you are probably pretty familiar with all of this.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lmbr View Post
    It's not the 6 gauge that is recommended. Spoke to someone at the dealer today. The wiring in place has 2 red wires and 1 black. Checked both front and back and 1 red wire is taped on both ends. Dealer person said pulling a 6 gauge would be best but at least I should use both the red wires together. I don't know if they are 8 gauge or 10. They are the ones originally installed in the boat when new and 1 red and the black were on the originally installed 12 V Minn Kota. I'm guessing the manufacturer would have used 8 gauge but who knows. I tried pulling on the wires to see if I could use them to pull 6 gauge thru but as I expected they didn't move. In looking at a Minn Kota 24 V plug, there are terminals for 2 red and one black. Would using the 2 red wires work? I don't have the Minn Kota Ulterra here yet to see if the plug is wired like that. I'm guessing from the name of your business that you are probably pretty familiar with all of this.
    Using the two reds doesn’t gain you anything with only one black. All the current would be running through a single wire still. Look at the wiring in the boat. It should have the size printed on the insulation every foot or so.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    The TM wiring is 8 gauge.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The TM wiring is 8 gauge.
    How long is the wire and which motor?
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    The boat is 17’ and the TM is a Minn Kota Ulterra 24V.

10. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The boat is 17’ and the TM is a Minn Kota Ulterra 24V.
    How long is the wire and which TM?
    nothing else matters.​

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    How long is the wire and which TM?
    The boat is 17' so i'd guess the wire is about 20'. The motor will be a Minn Kota Ulterra 24V.

12. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    The boat is 17' so i'd guess the wire is about 20'. The motor will be a Minn Kota Ulterra 24V.
    You need to know the exact length of wire. 19’ You can get by with 8AWG. 20’ You need 6.
    nothing else matters.​

13. Member
    I would consider 20' total (which will be 40' of wire by the time you go with a negative to tm and positive return) using the 6ga with a 60A breaker that also acts as an on/off switch. Use good nickle coated copper ends properly crimped. If elect to use copper ends, they cannot be crimped (copper is too soft to crimp) so must be soldered. I would also install a the motor with a direct connection via a junction block up front. The back of the plug if it has screw terminals can be used as a junction block. This is something that must be done correctly, even with overkill, since the Ulterra is so voltage sensitive.
    John
    BTW, we can make the harness if you choose to do it yourself.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

14. Member
    My 1995 basstracker pro 18 has a 4 wire with breakers on each positive. The old trolling motor had 12/24 switch. My buddy and his dad installed a motor guide x3 2 wire in parallel works on 12v but is slow. I have a 2 bank onboard charger installed and still working with them in parallel. Does anyone know what plug and socket Part numbers would be helpful thanks

15. Member
    The Tracker plug has a jumper built into the plug to make 24V. You didn't say if the X3 is 12V or 24V. If it is 12V, and you've verified 12V at the plug, then what you have is as good as it gets unless the batteries are about gone. If it's a 24V motor, then you should check the wiring to the trolling motor.
    John
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

16. Member
    Ok now im confused,i have a 4 wire system. No on board charger,it a old marinco plug,how do i know if it has a built in jumper?

17. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wackystyle View Post
    Ok now im confused,i have a 4 wire system. No on board charger,it a old marinco plug,how do i know if it has a built in jumper?
    Is there a jumper at the batteries from the positive of one to negative of the other? If not, and the TM is getting 24V, you have a jumper in the connector.
    nothing else matters.​

18. Member
    It has a jumper at the batteries,thanks 4 the info.

19. Member
    The boat came with a jumper at the batteries,just want 2 b sure i have things right dont want to fry my new ulterra,so if i unhook the jumper and the motor doesnt work i will get my answer? Thanks

20. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wackystyle View Post
    The boat came with a jumper at the batteries,just want 2 b sure i have things right dont want to fry my new ulterra,so if i unhook the jumper and the motor doesnt work i will get my answer? Thanks
    Yep
    nothing else matters.​

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast