Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New RT 188 questions

Just took delivery of my new RT 188 this weekend. I will be breaking in the motor later this week but in the mean time I have a couple questions. It is a 2017 and came with the little cooler in the back but was wondering if anyone has just put ice in the compartment itself. There is a drain hole there that I'm sure will go to the bilge eventually so I don't believe it will hurt anything. Just wondering if anyone else has done the same.

secondly, it is a single console so I was wondering how the factory cover does while traveling. Do the seat bases need to be in while going down the road?

Thanks for any responses. I will post a pic and some info next week of thoughts after purchase and things that helped me decide on the rt188
    Last edited by sc72rt; 03-13-2017 at 03:52 AM.

2. Member
    I would and do use the lil cooler. The factory cover works great without the seat posts in. It wont work with the posts installed.
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

3. Member
    I just put drinks and ice right in the rear storage compartments without the cooler. Since it does have some foam around it, does a pretty good job holding ice. Drains to bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksbass View Post
    I just put drinks and ice right in the rear storage compartments without the cooler. Since it does have some foam around it, does a pretty good job holding ice. Drains to bilge.
    I use a wooden golf tee to plug the drain. That helps keep some of the ice water in the compartment........keeps beer colder. But most of the time I'm using it just for food and water, so I leave the plug out so ice water won't get my sammich wet.
    I also insulated the lid, that helps tremendously in the summer.
    Think what would happen in this country if the many stopped fearing the few.

2015 RT 178 w/70hp Yamaha.

5. Member
    I slide a Yeti Hopper 20 under my console. I just fished upper 80 weather for a week and just put motel ice in it the night before, never bought ice all week including the 14 hour drive back and forth. It doesn't sweat nor leak inside your vehicle. If that's too much money for you then I've also used my Polar Bear with great results. The Yeti was a gift. I bought the 100.00 Polar bear 24.

I've never traveled with my cover, but it should hold up well based on the amount of weight it held storing my boat outdoors for a week in the rain and ice while I was using the garage for home upgrades. I have used it several times while staying at hotels to keep prying eyes out of the boat at night. One of the easiest covers to install I've ever owned.

Congrats on the new boat...break it in by the book and it should last you a loooong time.

I also use the rear compartment as a cooler. I cut piece of styrofoam to fit inside the lid for added insulation and it works great. I found the little cooler to be too small.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    What a great idea... going out to get a Hopper 20 since it fits under the console (out of the sun).

Hadn't thought about using the back storage for a cooler. Good idea. We have always just slid a cooler up under the console out of the sun as there has been plenty of room in our other boats. The RT seems to be as big if no bigger under the console too.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

9. Member
    I used to use the cooler. It was ok... I guess. Ended up buying a rtic 20 soft cooler a month ago when they were on sale for $70. It's very nice.

The cover on my 178 says to be used with seats and post installed.
    Mine fits like a glove with the rear seat on factory post and front butt seat on adjustable hydraulic post.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

11. Member
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try the cover both ways and see how it does. The golf tee idea is awesome. Plus there will be plenty left over since there won't be much golf played now that I have this boat lol.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stratos284 View Post
    The cover on my 178 says to be used with seats and post installed.
    Mine fits like a glove with the rear seat on factory post and front butt seat on adjustable hydraulic post.
    I never tried putting the cover on without the seats and post installed. I may have to cut down an old seat post to be able to use it now since I swapped out the Motorguide X5 for a Fortrex. The Fortrex is a lot taller when stowed and the cover now just barely comes over the rub rail on the port side.

I wish I had told the dealer to order the cover for Fortrex TM as I didn't think I'd be happy with the X5 that came on the boat. I've had my boat since 12/15 and have never used the cover for it.

13. Member
    My 188 cover must have been ordered without seats because there is no way it's going on with the seats installed on the decks. Nor would it fit if i changed out the trolling motor. It fits like a glove as long as I pull the deck seats down.

14. Member
    My cover is marked for fortrex. Came with an edge
    2016 Ranger RT178 white
    75 4S Merc, VesselView Mobile
    Simrad Go7, Baystar hydro, SpitFire X7 17p

Have the Ranger covers changed material and construction? The pic of the red 2014 RT188 shows the cover support I made to prevent ponding and you can see the cover in the background. I also included a pic of the cover installed. The other pics are of a 2016 RT that I saw at a dealer. It is much different than mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Have the Ranger covers changed material and construction? The pic of the red 2014 RT188 shows the cover support I made to prevent ponding and you can see the cover in the background. I also included a pic of the cover installed. The other pics are of a 2016 RT that I saw at a dealer. It is much different than mine.
    The old style covers had the rope for tightening it down. The new style has the ratchets.

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse View Post
    The old style covers had the rope for tightening it down. The new style has the ratchets.
    The new style is also much larger and it is made from a different material. It is much thinner and does not have the padding in wear spots that mine has.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Can you tell me more about the cover support you made? My boat arrives in April and I'm going to get a custom snap on cover made, but I was thinking about a similar support to hold up a tarp until the custom cover is made.

Quote Originally Posted by Grahamb View Post
    Can you tell me more about the cover support you made? My boat arrives in April and I'm going to get a custom snap on cover made, but I was thinking about a similar support to hold up a tarp until the custom cover is made.
    this is a link to a thread that may answer your questions. If not , PM me and I will send details.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=794501

20. Member
    Just pulled the boat to work without seat bases in. Was tight on the sides but quite a bit of movement. Put bases in and recovered. Already looks better. Will travel with it like that when I leave in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast