Mercmonitor coil fault

225 Pro XS sn-1B786414
    Been having some stalling and takeoff issues with my engine. Finally got an alarm:
    STBD Sys fault 45
    Ignition coil not working properly
    Anybody know which the alarm is referring too?
    Thanks!

2. Member
    Its referring ro one of your 6 ignition coils. The symptoms you were experiencing prior to the alarm pretty much is exactly what you would experience with a failing coil/coils. They're roughly $150 a piece. Don can assist you with troubleshooting which one is the bad one and getting a new one to you.

3. Member
    Thanks man! I thought for a while it was a coil and just needed the fault to prove it. I'm just not sure which one it's referring too. Mechanic hadn't been able to catch it.

4. Member
    Anybody else ever had a coil fault show up on Mercmonitor?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes.

Believe I looked this up for you and responded by email yesterday....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnbeagles View Post
    Anybody else ever had a coil fault show up on Mercmonitor?
    Yes, I had a coil go bad prior to installed a merc monitor and figured out which one it was myself and then I had another go bad with the fault showing up at the same time so I replaced that one and the other 4 as well. I believe that motor had the recall that was never address and had expired so I bit the bullet on making sure they were all replaced instead of getting stuck out on the water a 3rd time.

7. Member
    Yes you did Don and thanks! Got the boat to mechanic and he hooked up his computer and it didn't show a fault?? He checked over some things and thought maybe the TPS was messing up so we tried another one and it didn't help. I didn't get any alarms, but it would still cut off or not want to plane off. Went back and put original TPS on and changed #2 coil. Motor ran better and would take off better, but still stalled when shifting one time or would stutter for a bit after shifting. Can't get it to act up on hose. Seems to be only when in water and after it's been ran a time or two.

8. Member
    If the motor alarmed, then there IS a fault stored.

9. Member
    Had a friend with a 2012 225 Pro XS that had similar issues as you. The tech couldn't figure it out changed TPS and adjustments. Still had problem. They ended up sending the ECU to be reflashed and that corrected the problem.
    Greg Wood
    2016 Ranger Z521c 250 Optimax Pro XS
    Dual Power-Pole Blades 10ft
    Lowrance HDS 12 Gen3's at Console and Bow

10. Member
    Savage, engine cut off on its on and beeped/alarmed. Saw the alarm flashing on mercmonitor and pulled it up and took a picture of it. Mechanic showed me an old low oil alarm, but nothing there for a coil. Don't know what to think.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Is it possible that fault was present on the screen for less than 6 seconds?

Any chance you can post that picture, and a copy of the Freeze Frame (Fault) History and Fault Seconds Counters?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    I had started the engine and when I put in gear to idle away it started missing and shaking real bad. Gave it a little throttle in gear and it wouldn't clear up so I went back in neutral and it kept on for about 10 seconds and cut off. As soon as it died it started beeping and I saw the alarm flashing on mercmonitor. I got my phone out and had a hard time getting a pic that could be read so I know the key was on and engine beeping for 45 seconds or so at least. I didn't get any print outs, but I will ask for some when I go back.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    There should be fault information in those printouts...

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    There should be fault information in those printouts...
    I concur!