Hydraulic Steering Kits

I'm thinking of going to hydraulic steering from dual cable. Looking at a Seastar kit, it looks like it comes complete with everything needed. Has anyone made the switch and do the kits come with everything needed ? Thanks!

I made the switch last year form dual cable to the seastar pro and love it. My boat was always tight to steer taking two hands do to the cables. With the Seastar pro its much easier. The kit comes with everything thing you need and it will take 3-4 hours to take the old steering out and put the new one in. I started at the motor and removed the rods, then cut the cables at the hulm and taped the hydraulic hoses to the cables and pulled them through. Then when it was time to install the new steering, I took a 2X4 and placed it under the console and used vises to hold it in place. This lets the started bit cut in to wood and wont let the hole saw jump all over the place. The hardest part of the install is bleeding the air out, that will take two people.

It was a well worth upgrade for my boat that has Johnson 175 on it.
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike

3. Member
    You can't go wrong with hyd steering in any case. You may want to take a look at the U-flex/Mercury system as the cylinder is beefier and seems to less prone to bushing wear from motor torque like seastar seems to have been in the past.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basshawksc View Post
    I made the switch last year form dual cable to the seastar pro and love it. My boat was always tight to steer taking two hands do to the cables. With the Seastar pro its much easier. The kit comes with everything thing you need and it will take 3-4 hours to take the old steering out and put the new one in. I started at the motor and removed the rods, then cut the cables at the hulm and taped the hydraulic hoses to the cables and pulled them through. Then when it was time to install the new steering, I took a 2X4 and placed it under the console and used vises to hold it in place. This lets the started bit cut in to wood and wont let the hole saw jump all over the place. The hardest part of the install is bleeding the air out, that will take two people.

It was a well worth upgrade for my boat that has Johnson 175 on it.
    Is there any way you could post some pics of the back of the boat where the hose come out the boat and hook to the motor . I have a friend thats plans on doing it to his older Stratos and it would help to make up his mind .

5. Member
    I switched last year. Bought my kit from Pit Stop Marine. All you need is the Helm, 2 hoses, and the hydraulic ram that attaches to the motor, and fluid. Just make sure you get long enough hoses. A few feet longer is fine they can be coiled up in the back or under the helm.

Is there any way you could post some pics of the back of the boat where the hose come out the boat and hook to the motor . I have a friend thats plans on doing it to his older Stratos and it would help to make up his mind .
    if click on the link "bashawk restore" that shows in my profile. The pictures are on page2.
    Basshawk Restore
    89 Basshawk 181Xl
    91 Jonhson 175 Fast Strike