Thread: Gumbo??

Gumbo??

I've made a lot of gumbo in the past and have a very good recipe. Having said that, I have never made enough to have any left overs, with 5 kids and their boyfriends and girlfriends a 20 qt cast iron dutch oven full of gumbo doesn't hardly last the day here.

My question is, can I make 4 or 5 gallons at a time with all the seafood in it and then freeze for a week? I know I can make the roux up in advance but I will be taking this to a camp site with limited cooking options other than basically reheating.

I guess what I'm asking is, will it be as good making it all here at my house and freezing for at least a week and then basically just emptying in cast iron dutch oven over a campfire and reheat it?
    2005 2200 Gambler 2005 Merc 250 Racing XS

2. Papap
    We freeze leftover gumbo all the time. Eat it months later and it taste better then th first time.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

3. Member
    Yes it is freezer friendly.

4. Member
    Wolfman051.....care to share your recipe? Everyone usually does something different and i like trying new ideas

Quote Originally Posted by swampshark View Post
    Wolfman051.....care to share your recipe? Everyone usually does something different and i like trying new ideas
    PM sent..
    2005 2200 Gambler 2005 Merc 250 Racing XS

Quote Originally Posted by swampshark View Post
    I'd like a copy also if you don't mind.
    2002 Ranger 520 DVX / 2002 225hp Optimax

hate to ask as well, but if you don't mind.....

I have a recipe I really like too. love gumbo. anybody ever put potato salad in it?
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

8. Papap
    Server mine on the side but lots of friend put it in their bowl.
    2016 Ranger RT188
    Suzuki 115SS
    80# Fourtrex
    Lowrance HDS 10 & 9

9. Member
    It is better after you freeze it. If you have leftovers and are running light on the seafood in it you can freeze what you have. When you reheat you can add more shrimp, oysters and crabmeat. Bring it up just to a boil then turn it down til the shrimp and oysters are done like you want them and you are good to go.

10. Member
    The beauty of a gumbo is you don't need a recipe. If you like a thin gumbo use 50/50 oil to flour. If you like it thick use 2 to 1 flour to oil. If you like it dark, cook the roux darker. Just don't scorch it (thats probably the only thing you can screw up) 1 onion, 1 bell pepper and equal amount of celery to the onion. add that to the roux when it is the color you want and wilt onions. Add a little finely chopped garlic and green onion when you add the water. If you have shrimp stock add that when you add water. I like to use a few boiled crabs cleaned under running water to take some of the edge off of the boiled seafood. Remove the small legs and leave claw attached to crab halves. I add the crab in the shell, 1/3 of the shrimp if I don't have stock and bring to slow boil. I then add crabmeat, the rest of the shrimp( about a lb of each). A light foam will start forming on top pretty quick. slow boil til it goes away, takes 10 minutes or so. I turn down the fire and cook for a couple hours. a half hour or so before its done I add the oysters.

I don't add okra or rotel but if you like that throw it in. I don't care for crawfish in a gumbo either. Seasoning, I use salt, black pepper, a little la hot sauce. put a little seasoning in when you wilt the onions, season the shrimp and season when you add water. I always add seasoning in steps instead of all at once. If you use boiled crabs adjust your seasoning down.

Quote Originally Posted by papap View Post
    We freeze leftover gumbo all the time. Eat it months later and it taste better then th first time.
    ^^^THIS^^^ Like a fine wine... better with time.

Mark Welch Bossier Parish,LA. "Sportsman's Paradise"
    Check out my FB page https://www.facebook.com/Altered-IRO...4017377675928/
    '90 PROCroft 180, Mercury 150 xr4
    '03 WaterMoccasin pirogue 54lb. MotorGuide

12. Member
    Ate some last night I cooked with a hen back in December.