115 Pro XS 4s operating temp

I used to religiously watch my motor temp on my old 200 Pro XS and make sure it was at the proper temp before getting in the throttle. Is the 4 stroke as temp sensitive or more lenient? What would be the safe temp before opening her up? I have a vessel view module ordered that should be here this week....

Thanks...

2. Banned
    IMO it is important to warm up any motor before operating it at power. Looking at a Mercury four stroke 150 owner's manual it recommends letting the motor warm up for three minutes before using it. Might not hurt to wait a bit longer if the water is really cold, just to be on the side of caution.

As I interpret my shop manual, The thermostat is supposed to open at 115 to 125 degrees. Normal operational range is listed as 122 to 158 degrees. I have never seen mine over 142 degrees.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In general... I'd watch for 120 degrees before heading out.

While cold seizures are less common in 4-strokes, it is indeed important that the engine reach appropriate operating temperature.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor