VesselView Mobile - Fault Code 63

2007 Mercury 300xs Serial #1E003401

I hooked up the VesselView Mobile to my boat today and got fault code 63. The app just tells me to contact my authorized mercury mechanic with no additional information. I was a little disappointed that it provided no additional information.

I looked online and can only find fault codes on this link, page 90 through 96: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvrfcpf9qo...anual.pdf?dl=0

Are these the correct fault codes for my device? According to this document, it is related to the fuel injector. "Fuel injector is not working properly. Non-critical - Service engine soon."

Fault codes 59 through 70 all say the exact same thing, so I am thinking there must be more information regarding each code or why would they have 11 different codes? Does anybody know where I can find more specific information on code 63?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Member
    Genuine Mercury Marine Service Manual explains all the Fault numbers.

#63 is for a short in the #2 fuel injector. The current has exceeded its limit for that fuel injector. I would check the fuel injector harness over carefully, and report your findings. Look for a "short" to ground....bare wire.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Put new spark plugs in the boat and checked for loose wires or shorted wires. Didn't see any. Took the boat out for a test run, no alarms. The plugs fixed it or maybe I wiggled a loose wire or something. Appears to be fixed. Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by millsryno; 03-26-2017 at 11:30 PM.

5. Member
    The fault will return, if it wasn't fixed.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... there's likely a wire in the harness (for that injector) that has rubbed against a metal object (resulting in an intermittent short).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    The code did return, as you warned me :)

I've looked it all over very thoroughly and cannot find any wires that look to be rubbing against metal or any bare metal wires.

Next steps?

8. Member
    Have someone else examine the harness, and test it with a meter.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Sounds like it's time for a Breakout Box, and a wiring diaghram.

10. Member
    I did some diagnostic work. Turns out that Fault 63 is injector #3, not injector #2. Just FYI.

When I removed the holding clip that holds the injector in place (with 2 allen head screws), injector #3 pretty much popped right out when I removed the holding clip. The other injectors were well seated and required that I used a screw driver to pop them out. So this immediately raised a red flag as to maybe this was part of the problem.

I swapped injector #1 and #3 and made sure the injectors were well seated. I did this to see if it would throw a new code for a fault in injector #1. I could not get any codes to go, however.

Is it possible that the reason I was getting the code for injector #3 was because it wasn't seated well?

11. Member
    I should also note that I was watching the vessel view info on my phone and it was throwing the fault code when the RPMs would drop to 560 (it idles at 580 RPM) and it sounded like something missed in the engine, it went rough for a split second.

Since swapping the injectors and making sure they were well seated, it is just humming along at a steady 580 RPM with no misses and no alarm.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millsryno View Post
    I did some diagnostic work. Turns out that Fault 63 is injector #3, not injector #2. Just FYI.

When I removed the holding clip that holds the injector in place (with 2 allen head screws), injector #3 pretty much popped right out when I removed the holding clip. The other injectors were well seated and required that I used a screw driver to pop them out. So this immediately raised a red flag as to maybe this was part of the problem.

I swapped injector #1 and #3 and made sure the injectors were well seated. I did this to see if it would throw a new code for a fault in injector #1. I could not get any codes to go, however.

Is it possible that the reason I was getting the code for injector #3 was because it wasn't seated well?
    No...... Fault 63 IS for a SHORTED #2 Fuel Injector. Most likely cause is a wiring harness that is SHORTING to GROUND, so look for a bare conductor(s) touching metal, or each other.
    Last edited by Savage; 05-14-2017 at 08:31 PM.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by millsryno View Post
    I should also note that I was watching the vessel view info on my phone and it was throwing the fault code when the RPMs would drop to 560 (it idles at 580 RPM) and it sounded like something missed in the engine, it went rough for a split second.

Since swapping the injectors and making sure they were well seated, it is just humming along at a steady 580 RPM with no misses and no alarm.
    The problem will return.......Again...... because the SHORT to GROUND was NOT repaired........Just like before. The problem is in the wiring harness most likely.

14. Member
    With cowl off and standing behind the boat, looking at motor, the wires going to the injectors are numbered as follows:

port - starboard

2 - 1

4 - 3

6 - 5

Does that look right to you? I tested each one with the motor running and unplugged the electrical plug into each injector, one at a time. They all threw a different code (codes were 59, 61, 63, 65, 67 and 69). #3 in that diagram threw the fault 63 code - 100% positive on this.

Does somebody have a link that explains how to test for short to ground? I've visual inspected everything and see no abnormalities - harnesses and wires.

I had the same issue on my old 225 opti that caused #2 to lean out and took out that cyl. During rebuild sent my fuel rails and all injectors to Don for service. Rebuild was finished and now in break in mode and still receiving fault code 63. Spoke with Don several times and could not find any issue with wire harness. Went ahead and dropped $500 on new harness to still have fault 63. Finally hooked up a noid light on inj #2 and no pulse. Sent my pcm to Eric at Simon motor sports and injector driver was bad. Eric replased inj driver in pcm and it was all good after that
    2000 520vx Ranger
    250 PRO XS
    SERIAL#2B115788/ 25P Fury 4/ 25P Fury 3 blade