Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st problem with my Ultrex

Well to start off I want to say I love my Ultrex.
    The current problem is that intermittently when I push the button to go it does not. The head will turn and the power all works but no thrust.
    If I keep my foot on it sooner or later it will start working again. Any ideas? I was thinking foot switch but it still will not go when I use the other thrust button on the side of the pedal.

2. Member
    Update:

Started working on it in the garage and found that when it stops working I can nudge the prop just a little and it will start working again. I pulled the prop and adjusted the housing and though maybe that would help...well it does not do it as much since the adjustment but it still seems like the motor has a bad spot in it.

Does that make sense?

3. Member
    I'm definitely getting the extended warranty offer. Stopped as BPS today....the mount is huge!

The obvious question is have you hit anything with it recently?

Next have you tried the same test without the prop?

Are there any wear marks on the prop hub?

If so try reinstalling the prop 180 degrees

Other than that I would contact Minn Kota and/or John @ Jonestrollingmotor
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    The obvious question is have you hit anything with it recently? Nope but I have noticed it is a little louder when using it...like a rubbing noise.

Next have you tried the same test without the prop? Not a bad idea

Are there any wear marks on the prop hub? nope

If so try reinstalling the prop 180 degrees ...I will try that but don't see what that will change.

Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    The obvious question is have you hit anything with it recently?

Next have you tried the same test without the prop?

Are there any wear marks on the prop hub?

If so try reinstalling the prop 180 degrees

Other than that I would contact Minn Kota and/or John @ Jonestrollingmotor

6. Member
    Do you get same results with remote?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    Do you get same results with remote?
    I will try that on Sunday.

8. Member
    There's a good chance there is a bad spot in the armature. The next time you get it to fail turn the prop a little bit without having power and then hit the power switch. If it runs the armature is probably bad.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    There's a good chance there is a bad spot in the armature. The next time you get it to fail turn the prop a little bit without having power and then hit the power switch. If it runs the armature is probably bad.
    That is what I was thinking also.

I agree the armature is the most likely cause but its best to try the easy to fix things first

Lowrider's suggestion will be a good tell tail if there is an internal issue

Right no MK is pumping these out as fast as they can to keep up with demand so unfortunately there's going to be a higher percentage of quality control issues
    "The handicapped angler"

11. Member
    Update:

Called Minn Kota this morning and they are sending me a new unit and want the other back for QA. Great service!

Got to love their Customer Service!

Just hope they don't have to do this a lot for this motor I really want one

Glad to hear you will be back up and running soon
    "The handicapped angler"

13. Member
    Sounds good but when it does that, it's a dead spot on the armature and usually but not always, a loose tab or two on the commutator. When it is dead, mark the prop and shaft with something, if every time it stops like that with the marks lined up, that's your sign lol.

14. Member
    This is why I'm waiting to buy one, let them work the kinks out first. I don't usually like buying something in its first year of production. I had a terrova with Ipilot/link and wasn't happy with the spot lock at all. I'm hoping this motor has better spot lock.

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    This is why I'm waiting to buy one, let them work the kinks out first. I don't usually like buying something in its first year of production. I had a terrova with Ipilot/link and wasn't happy with the spot lock at all. I'm hoping this motor has better spot lock.
    The spot lock is way better.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rouse4 View Post
    Well to start off I want to say I love my Ultrex.
    The current problem is that intermittently when I push the button to go it does not. The head will turn and the power all works but no thrust.
    If I keep my foot on it sooner or later it will start working again. Any ideas? I was thinking foot switch but it still will not go when I use the other thrust button on the side of the pedal.
    I had the same problem with my Ultrex, which MK also replaced. I feel the problem is a design flaw, and will happen again. There is a small magnetic switch underneath the momentary on/off button that gets stuck in such a low position that no contact is made. You have to raise the switch. look for threads on this fix, they are located within this forum.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by champ93 View Post
    This is an armature problem. It happened on the 112 and has nothing to do with the Ultrex. I've seen it on Fortrex, I've seen open armatures on 80's (both Fortrex and Maxxums). It is one of those things that happen to an armature and is not specific to a model.

A lot of people feel the same way, however the problems that have been talked about are all problems that I have seen with Maxxums and Fortrex's. I havn't heard (yet) of problems with the new gps system, the new designed footpedal, the new designed transmission. These are items that is unique to the Ultrex.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

18. Member
    Your correct it is not an Ultrex problem...it is in fact and armature issue. I can see myself fishing without an Ultrex moving forward...awesome unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    This is an armature problem. It happened on the 112 and has nothing to do with the Ultrex. I've seen it on Fortrex, I've seen open armatures on 80's (both Fortrex and Maxxums). It is one of those things that happen to an armature and is not specific to a model.

A lot of people feel the same way, however the problems that have been talked about are all problems that I have seen with Maxxums and Fortrex's. I havn't heard (yet) of problems with the new gps system, the new designed footpedal, the new designed transmission. These are items that is unique to the Ultrex.

19. Member
    Just an FYI...

Well I received my replacement Ultrex Link very quick so I though hey it would be very quick to just swap out the head unit and not have to replace the whole base. Well think again...it looks like they had a change in production at some point.

As you can see my early model only had the two hole but the replacement had 4 holes...so I had to also replace the mount.

Attached Images Attached Images

20. Member
    I'm having the same exact problem with my ultrex as Rouse described above! However, when I called minn kota today they acted like I was speaking Latin to them. Never heard of any kind of problems with the ultrex at all..... Rouse do you remember by chance who you spoke to at Minn Kota?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast