Thread: Captiva Island

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar

Captiva Island

thinking about a week at captiva island fl then end of july early august. what are the "must see" "must do" things there or sanibel, ft meyers, naples etc?????

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

2. Member
    We have been several times. We normally just hang out at the beach the whole time. I've never been that time of the year but the snook should be thick on the beaches then. You can catch quite a few and they will often times be in shin deep water. Sunrise and sunset will be the best times. Walking baits, rattle traps, and small jerk baits have been my best baits. A lot of people swear by white jigs but I've never had any luck with them. Ding Darling nature preserve is cool to check out. Bring or buy some of the No No see um bug spray. They can be awful. Have fun. It really is a great place.

3. Member
    The Naples Zoo is beautiful. It used to be a botanical garden. Bring a little extra cash to feed the giraffes! My 9 and 11 year old kids really enjoyed it. You can also take a boat ride to see different primates that they have on several small islands.

4. Member
    Yes, it is a great zoo. We went there for the first time last fall and my daughter loved it. The giraffes didn't cooperate when we were there though. If you do venture into Naples I would recommend Brooks Burgers. It was awesome.

5. Member
    Bubble Room is unique, food good but expensive on Captiva

6. Banned
    A/C.

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Eat at Timbers on Sanibel, drive through Ding Darling nature preserve on Sanibel and kayak at Tarpon Bay Explorers on Sanibel.

Dale Sinclair original

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    wasn't even thinking about bringing a rod but i might have to now.. didn't realize there could be good fishing on the beach.. i also like the zoo and really like the nature preserve suggestions, will definitely be going through that.. Thanks guys
    still open to other ideas if y'all have any..

and phupduck,, you won me a bet!! i told the wife when i posted this that some squirrel would suggest A/C

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

9. Member
    Might look into Cabbage Key. You would need to take a water taxi to get there, there are no roads. I know there are boats that go there from Pine Island, not sure about Captiva. Looks like Jensen's Marina on Captiva rents boats. You could fish and hit Cabbage key for lunch!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwh7399 View Post
    Might look into Cabbage Key. You would need to take a water taxi to get there, there are no roads. I know there are boats that go there from Pine Island, not sure about Captiva. Looks like Jensen's Marina on Captiva rents boats. You could fish and hit Cabbage key for lunch!

THIS!

We rented a house down there a few years ago, just inland about a mile or so on the river. House came with a boat so we went all over on both sides of Captiva. Wish it'd been a fishing boat (or at least had rods) because there is some GREAT flats fishing down there.
    Cabbage Key you gotta' see. That's where Jimmy Buffet lived for months when he wrote the original "Cheesburger In Paradise" song. They have a "dollar bill bar" in the back that is plastered with so many dollar bills that the walls (and 4x4 posts), and ceilings are INCHES deep in bills from people taping them all over through the years. It used to just be the back bar, but it's now extended towards the front of the place.

They even have a wooden water tower!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

11. Member
    I fished a little from shore on Captiva and remember hooking several huge fish on large jigs. I have no idea what they were though-snapped my 10lb line easily. I have caught snook casting Swimbaits off of shore on sanibel in May. That was a blast.

bubble room, and there is a great breakfast place on the Captiva side of Sanibel. Can't remember the name.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

Big O

13. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1970 View Post
    Big O
    it's definitely in consideration too

guides through roland martins? or are there better alternatives?

14. Member
    Great place to see dolphins, they'll come right up to the shore pushing bait. Beautiful area, would love to back sometime and stay for a week. We were just passing through and were there for a day.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

15. Member
    Used to be manatees that stayed by the docks at Jensens. My favorite restaurant is the Island Cow. Has great breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are a lot of jack crevalle close to shore. I have had them break rods.

16. Member
    I live here and I am also a charter captain. If you need advice for places to stay/things to do/places to eat shoot me a pm and I'd be glad to help out. There will definitely be beach snook fishing in the summer, as well as a bunch of other stuff going on.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    it's definitely in consideration too

guides through roland martins? or are there better alternatives?
    Go to the big O and look up Captain Dave with Hooksetter Adventures.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

18. Banned
    My mom lived on Sanibel or Captiva for about 20 years. I was only there once but you could probably find a convenience store and hang out with a cigarette and an Icee for a few hours and it would probably rate among the top 5 times of your life.

19. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trifish View Post
    I live here and I am also a charter captain. If you need advice for places to stay/things to do/places to eat shoot me a pm and I'd be glad to help out. There will definitely be beach snook fishing in the summer, as well as a bunch of other stuff going on.
    Cool!!! got the lodging figured out pretty much but might lean on ya for other info, thanks by the way.
    You're a charter captain? do you have a web site we can look at?

20. Member
    Only thing we do when we go is snook fish lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast