Yamaha on Triton Trim Gauge

Have a VMax on a TR21. The trim gauge acting funny for a while, so I replaced the Gauge with one that came on the triton. ( That didn't fix the problem)
    Finally changed the sender, plastic trim finger that operates the sender & gauge. Now the trim gauge works at 1/2 at w/o trimmed up.
    The bat came wit a Merc. that was hanged to Yamaha & the S & R bunch (Dealer) had connected the trim wires into the sending wiring harness. If I connect into the wiring harness that will void the trim sending warranty.
    My question is will only a Yamaha Gauge connect & work correctly, without having to splice into the wring harness?

2. Banned
    Gauges are normally matched to senders.

If the boat was originally equipped with a Mercury then I suspect that the Triton trim gauge was matched to a Mercury sender.

If a Yamaha motor is being used then a Yamaha gauge may be needed. Or maybe Triton has a specific Triton trim gauge that will work with a Yamaha.

There is a connector on the motor to which a Yamaha harness can be connected so as to get trim information, over temperature warning, oil system pressure (four stroke)/quantity (two stroke) to the helm. No splicing of the engine harness is needed.

A Vmax is not a model. It is marketing BS. Could be a carb'd two stroke, an EFI two stroke, an HPDI two stroke or an EFI four stroke. Would really help to know the model.

3. Member
    Ox66 Fuel Injected. The Dealer that took the Merc off & put the Yamaha on had spliced into the harness & went to the gauge. It seems that to get the full range of the trim gauge that (spicing)would have to be done again. Or install a Yamaha gauge. Is that the way you see it ?

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by w38571 View Post
    Ox66 Fuel Injected. The Dealer that took the Merc off & put the Yamaha on had spliced into the harness & went to the gauge. It seems that to get the full range of the trim gauge that (spicing)would have to be done again. Or install a Yamaha gauge. Is that the way you see it ?
    What year? Some VX models use a two wire sender and some use a three wire sender. Would really help to know the model.

Was the splice done on the engine itself?

5. Member
    My 2003 OX 66 works with the factory installed Triton trim gauge with no issues. You should not need to by a Yamaha specific gauge.

6. Member
    It's a VX model. The wires are 1-Pink & 1-Black coming from sending unit.

7. Member
    What year is the boat/motor? Yamaha changed in 2001. Your gauge could work, or not, depending on the year/sensor.
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    What year is the boat/motor? Yamaha changed in 2001. Your gauge could work, or not, depending on the year/sensor.
    It is hard to get the model from folks. Don't know why.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jethro1 View Post
    It is hard to get the model from folks. Don't know why.
    It may not matter for a lot of things, but it sure does for others!!!!

10. Member
    97 Triton , Motor is a 2000 mdl.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by w38571 View Post
    97 Triton , Motor is a 2000 mdl.
    I THINK you have the newer 2 wire sender then. I have a 98 boat with a 2001 on it with a 2 wire sender. My gauge would always read very low, like buried, down and would only read a little under half when it reached tilt mode. Adjusting the "arm" made it a little better, but never could get full down to read at zero. looking for a new gauge I found that 2001 was different and used a different ohm range (mercs are included in the usage for this one) and my gauge was for the early models. I have a new gauge coming and shall see if it is calibrated correctly. If you can wait until late this week/early next, I will let you know how it works out. As far as I know, this originally had a Yamaha on it so I don't know if we are chasing the same demon or not.

12. Banned
    A 2000 model year motor would have a three wire sender. 2001 and later models use a two wire sender.

Yamaha digital display multi-function gauges can be adjusted for the two sender types. Analog gauges cannot.

13. Member
    Well, I hope the one I ordered works then! The one on it is a Sierra for pre 2001. Fingers crossed. Will update

14. Member
    My Gauge is analog. There is coming from the sender 2-wires a pink & black wire. But on the sender plug it has a grey wire that plugs into an individual wire.

15. Member
    The original sender had the same wiring, but the dealer had the jumpers wires going to the analog gauge. (Makes me think it may have the wrong sender on it ) ?

16. Member
    Just for information, I replaced my gauge with a Faria 12828 for Yamaha 01 and up and merc. I now have full trim range on my gauge. full up is when it hits tilt and down is down after a little tweaking on the clamp ring. I don't know if this would be the same on merc to Yamaha switch but if repowered with newer Yamaha, it fixed the problem.

17. Member
    Call me 931-260-3836, I'm from Livingston. If I read what you wrote correctly it's a simple fix.
    Donald Dailey
    Donald