9.9 dies at idle

I've got a 9.9 with a weird issue. It starts easily, runs 3 minutes or so at idle, then dies abruptly. It restarts easily and runs perfectly for another 3m or so. This problem doesn't seem to happen at speeds above idle.

It's weird because it starts right up in one pull and runs perfectly as if nothing happened. I swapped electronic ignition modules with another and it still happens. I'm thinking maybe the float is getting stuck open? Any suggestions?

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Not sure, have you googled it.

Wished Ed I could help!

3. Member

USA

How old is the motor and fuel system? The fuel lines might from the tank to motor ( and filters ) might be gunked up from ethanol in the fuel. They just go bad and deteriorate.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I would think it would not run above idle if it was gunked up!!
    More like the low end jet or passage blocked, Might try a system cleaner and blow it out!

Fuel is fresh. Good ideas, guys. Still puzzlin over why restart is so easy and how it runs so well until it falls on its face. It's like one of those kiddie rides where you put your quarter in and it goes a few minutes, then stops, but if you pop another quarter in all is good again.

6. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    When you get it running will it run above idle for as long as your above idle, like across the lake?
    If not it might be a stuck needle, and once the bowl is empty it stops until the bowl fills back up.

If thats the case I would say you need to rebuild the carb. It is a carb motor right?

It will run indefinitely at wot. I was wondering if the float might stick at idle, i.e. when the fuel drains slowly, but at higher speed the float works normally ? I'm ordering a carb kit for it, seems like a solid plan.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar