Prop Question on new Merc

Hey guys, new here! Bought a 97 Champion 187 DC and had the powerhead blow on me! Just purchased a 2017 Mercury Pro XS 175 and a Bobs Maching 6" hydraulic jack plate. Everything is on its way and I should be back on the water by the end of this month.

Curious if anyone has a similar size boat with a 175 Pro XS on it and could let me know what prop youre runnin and some quick stats? Im probably going to just switch the prop over that was on my 175 EFI for now. Its a Mercury Trophy 25P. That motor/prop was pushin me around 63-65 MPH. Curious to see what the new 175 will do.

2. Member
    Try a 25 Tempest plus,
    Purty boat

Welcome to the Champ family !

Welcome! Yep, Champions are supposed to do best with Tempest props and the 25 plus is a good bet. Lake Havasu eh? Like to fish there someday, I have access to Tempest 25+ if your local guys don't have one. Shoot me a PM or email maybe we can get together.

4. Banned
    The trophy might work pretty dang good for you.

5. Member
    25 tempest plus. After break in run it hard and make sure to get accurate speed and rpm then send it to Marks prop shop

6. Member
    thanks fellas!

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Got my 25p Tempest Plus from my 200 efi / 202dc in a box right now with shipping label on it, ready to send out to Mark on Monday.

8. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssbassman View Post
    25 tempest plus. After break in run it hard and make sure to get accurate speed and rpm then send it to Marks prop shop
    He will also need your P2P info

9. Banned
    If you just want speed then the 3 blade is best, but I'd be willing to bet that you'll like the handling of that trophy more than the temptest.

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My 187 much preferred the Tempest Plus...3 blade. Better bow lift and handling. Both my 1999 and 2005 Champs hated the trophy.