Banned

Vortex Hubs Servicing

Just got a new to me Z8. I'm used to standard wheel bearings and shooting some grease in them every couple months, then changing the bearings annually. I noticed on the Z-8, the hubs are Vortex and it says "No Service for 100,000 miles". How are you guys maintaining the Vortex hubs? Would hate to have a bearing failure. Are they different than standard?

2. PECo
    I bought a manufacturer's 2012 demo boat and trailer in 2014 that had Vortex hubs. The boat and trailer had been towed to boat shows and dealerships all over the country. I'm not sure of the mileage on the hubs, but one of them failed on me. I found out that the warranty is pretty useless in a practical sense, because Vortex makes you ship the defective hub to them. When I replaced them, I found out that they have a zerk fitting inside the plastic cap and that they take Lucas Oil Marine grease. If I were you, I'd go ahead and shoot some new grease into them. Better safe than sorry.

3. Member
    I shoot grease in them every other year, but I don't travel long distances. I did have a seal go bad about a year and half ago and they sent me a new seal an bearing.

I have them on my Z9 and I like them. They are easy to maintain. Just remove the caps and shoot Lucas Marine grease into each one until you see new grease push out all the old grease, then replace the cap. When you tighten the caps, tighten them like an oil filter by hand then tighten with a wrench just snug til the O ring engages the hub and stop. If you over tighten like I did the caps will break and you won't notice it until it's too late.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
    I shoot grease in them every other year, but I don't travel long distances. I did have a seal go bad about a year and half ago and they sent me a new seal an bearing.
    MAN am I glad to see this thread!

I just picked up a 2011 Z9 this week. Only 221 hours, owned by a fellow that bought it at 68, and passed away in January @ 74. Got it home and decided I needed to order new calipers. Didn't trust the pistons once I saw the boots had rotted. I know it didn't have any brakes coming home! Put fluid in the master cylinder here and it firmed up a bit, and you can hear the calipers working, but the pads are SHOT.

Then when pulling all the wheels to clean them I noticed only one of the hubs had any signs of leaking. It's not bad, just a touch on the left front one. Anyone know of a part number, or where to find the seals? (They say the brake pads are a 1990 Chevy Cavalier.) Think with that one seal these hubs will be fine. (Even put a touch of anti-seize on the studs this time around.)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 250 Opti w/SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12"

NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Wireless Lighting Controller
    Carbon 12's & 9 on Precision Sonar mounts and A/T.
    GHOST w/3-in-1 & 360.
    Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

6. Member
    The seal on mine is 171255UC. I got it from the factory Tie Down. Didn't cost me anything.

Quote Originally Posted by PECo View Post
    I bought a manufacturer's 2012 demo boat and trailer in 2014 that had Vortex hubs. The boat and trailer had been towed to boat shows and dealerships all over the country. I'm not sure of the mileage on the hubs, but one of them failed on me. I found out that the warranty is pretty useless in a practical sense, because Vortex makes you ship the defective hub to them. When I replaced them, I found out that they have a zerk fitting inside the plastic cap and that they take Lucas Oil Marine grease. If I were you, I'd go ahead and shoot some new grease into them. Better safe than sorry.
    Their Customer service is top notch in my book. I recently had a 2012 fail. Lost the tire, hub, and rim and didn't even notice until 60 miles later. I called the company and they stated I would need a new axle since the hub had failed and flattened the axle. I called Nitro, got a replacement axle with new hubs coming and Vortex paid half the bill!!!!
    Thanks
    Scotty W. Pennington

www.scottypennington.com

2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP, Mercury 250

8. Member
    I cant say enough good things about these hubs. I hadn't touched mine in 4 years, but after a tourney I noted water leaking from one of the caps. Once I inspected closer I noticed that the guy back my trailer in had bumped the curb and cracked the hubs cover. Needless to say the hub started smoking by the time I got home. I bought a replacement and in about 30minutes I was back in action. Moral of the story, don't let water in and check the cap periodically.