Trailer overhang laws?

So I plan on moving from NC to CT some time around July the problem I have is my boat trailer may not be road worthy in that time frame so we are consider loading the boat and trailer on to my father's flatbed car trailer. What I need to know is how far it can overhang legally and at what point we'd need a red flag. I've searched everywhere and I haven't found a solid answer.

2. Member
    How long would it take you to rig and install a flag? Longer than the process of explaining it to Johnny Law?

3. Member
    Or connect boat trailer lights to tow vehicle also.

4. PECo
    Cops don't know the laws, either. I live in Connecticut and haul a kayak that sticks out through the back window of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Even though it projects less than four feet beyond the back of my Jeep, I still put a red flag on it. Here's the relevant regulation:

No person shall, during the period from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset, operate upon any highway any vehicle except fire apparatus, the load of which extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the body of such vehicle unless there is attached to the rear end of such load a red flag or cloth not less than twelve inches square so hung that the entire area is visible to the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear, or, during the period of one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of five hundred feet ahead, operate upon any highway any vehicle carrying a load which extends beyond the stationary floor of the body of such vehicle, unless a red light is attached to the rear end of such load, which light shall be plainly visible to the sides and rear for a distance of not less than five hundred feet.
    So, if your load projects more than four feet beyond the back of your flatbed, you'd need a red flag during the day and a red light at night.