Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    Go play with your $1,500 Panoptix that you have to point the trolling motor at! Better not miss the fish to the right or left or behind the boat... better keep swinging that trolling motor around in circles! Haha!
    i didn't say anything about panoptix, but i dont have to swing my trolling motor, its always pointed at the target. we fish offshore targets 90% of the year hear so it works wonderfully. the ultrex may force me to remove it though

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Just as much a bunch of nothing as a screen shot with Panoptix.
    to me 360 is much more difficult to pick out one white mark as a fish when there are 14 other white marks on the screen that are not. just an observation.
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 03-10-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    i didn't say anything about panoptix, but i dont have to swing my trolling motor, its always pointed at the target. we fish offshore targets 90% of the year hear so it works wonderfully. the ultrex may force me to remove it though

to me 360 is much more difficult to pick out one white mark as a fish when there are 14 other white marks on the screen that are not. just an observation.
    It is quite simple, stumps are white marks with an equally sized shadow behind them and they don't move.

No different that trying to learn to read Side Imaging, SideVu, Side Scan, Side Vision.

I posted this screen shot a few years ago of a bass in a laydown. A still picture would not indicate where the bass is, but I watched it moving along the laydown, cast to it, and caught it.

The Ultrex should work fine with the Panoptix, it just a foot control cable steer trolling motor with power steering. It won't rotate faster than you move your foot. Don't turn on Spotlock and you will have complete control just like with any other cable steer motor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Banned
    It is quite simple, stumps are white marks with an equally sized shadow behind them and they don't move.

No different that trying to learn to read Side Imaging, SideVu, Side Scan, Side Vision.

I posted this screen shot a few years ago of a bass in a laydown. A still picture would not indicate where the bass is, but I watched it moving along the laydown, cast to it, and caught it.

The Ultrex should work fine with the Panoptix, it just a foot control cable steer trolling motor with power steering. It won't rotate faster than you move your foot. Don't turn on Spotlock and you will have complete control just like with any other cable steer motor.
    yes and the same problem exists with side imaging. it can be difficult to tell which one of the 15 white marks is actually a fish. they don't always move either so you could technically be missing fish

yes the ultrex is called cable steer but the head moves much faster with very little input compared to a real cable steer motor. it also has no sensitivity control which would be nice. a troll perfect for the ultrex would be ideal

4. Member
    You don't want to put a troll perfect on a Minnkota product, because you are not adjusting the tension properly for the cables. You need to adjust the tension screw which is located on the front of the foot pedal. Same thing we do for the Fortrex.

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

5. Banned
    the tension adjustment is for taking slack out of the cables as they stretch. its not for slowing down turn speed. if you are tighten them too much you could break a cable at the least. been using troll perfect for many many years with great results
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 03-13-2017 at 12:59 PM.

6. Member
    By increasing the cable tension, the shaft will not be as "free" to spin and will slow down the rotation of the shaft. That's a fact. Most that I know using troll perfect on a MK product, you are clamping down on the shaft joint and if your cables are not tensioned properly for the harder rotation resistance that will cause problems. Most of the cables snapped by using the Troll Perfect product is by not matching your cable tension to the products tension. Not really a necessary product for MK products IMHO as the cable tension accomplishes the same thing without having to do 2 steps. Regardless, when you tighten your cable tension you need to know how much is too much.

yes and the same problem exists with side imaging. it can be difficult to tell which one of the 15 white marks is actually a fish. they don't always move either so you could technically be missing fish

yes the ultrex is called cable steer but the head moves much faster with very little input compared to a real cable steer motor. it also has no sensitivity control which would be nice. a troll perfect for the ultrex would be ideal
    No problem telling what is what in this screen shot. No stumps close by.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mn_bowhunter View Post
    By increasing the cable tension, the shaft will not be as "free" to spin and will slow down the rotation of the shaft. That's a fact. Most that I know using troll perfect on a MK product, you are clamping down on the shaft joint and if your cables are not tensioned properly for the harder rotation resistance that will cause problems. Most of the cables snapped by using the Troll Perfect product is by not matching your cable tension to the products tension. Not really a necessary product for MK products IMHO as the cable tension accomplishes the same thing without having to do 2 steps. Regardless, when you tighten your cable tension you need to know how much is too much.
    thats great and all but thats not the intended purpose. you also don't have to crank down the troll perfect. just barely snug. if adjusted properly it doesn't affect pedal tension at all. that's not the intended purpose. its used to eliminate kick back and side to side torque steer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Guys,that adjustment screw under the cable on a Fortrex is not a tension adjustment. It only tightens up the cables to take the slack out of them. Getting the cables too tight will cause problems with the pinion gear.

No problem telling what is what in this screen shot. No stumps close by.

thats a perfect example. how bout all those other white spots? how do you know they are not fish or even that the ones you circled are fish? i see at least 8 other marks that look exactly the same as the ones you circled
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 03-10-2017 at 01:22 PM.

10. Member
    Looks like 360 is clearly the best choice for shallow water application.

11. Member
    The cable rides into a collar which sits on top of a gear which rotates the shaft... and that in turn affects the shafts rotation. And a tigher cable tension does affect your pedal "tightness" front to back as well, because the cable is connected to the pedal. I'm glad you have figured out how to adjust your troll perfect and that works for you. Most others have snapped cables by using this product because they don't know what they're doing with cable tension, and that's the fact that I'm pointing out.

12. Banned
    Understood. ive never seen a word about that issue here though and a ton us of use them.

Wayne you fish shallow most of the time don't you? any chance you have shots of these 2 specific situations?

A 60 foot, or greater, range in 30 foot of water that shows a brush pile
    An 80 foot, or greater, range in 60 ft of water that shows timber

if things don't work out with my planned setup, I'll buy a 360 just to check it out

Understood. ive never seen a word about that issue here though and a ton us of use them.

Wayne you fish shallow most of the time don't you? any chance you have shots of these 2 specific situations?

A 60 foot, or greater, range in 30 foot of water that shows a brush pile
    An 80 foot, or greater, range in 60 ft of water that shows timber

if things don't work out with my planned setup, I'll buy a 360 just to check it out

Nope, if I am fishing in the 30' depth range, it is on the bottom with no cover and it is Winter using blade baits.

The brush piles I fish are typically in the 15'-20' depths where the thermocline is in the summer.

I have one screen shot with 360 and Contour Mode turned on of a "fish structure" that is about 10' tall. It squashes the subject:

Looks like this without Contour Mode and fuzzy due to the thermocline:

This is what it looks like with SI and DI from a 1198:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    Thank you for all the info. Do you change the settings on your 360 very often? Do you have/Would you share your optimum settings? I think I'm reading the SI screens pretty well, but the 360 seems more of a blur to me. If the boat is moving, I can't tell if what I thought was a fish moved or it was due to the boat moving. We fish for Crappie and like to shoot docks but sometimes try to fish the brush in the open. It seems the 360 should really be helpful seeing where the fish move under the dock, but I'm really having trouble distinguishing anything. We just upgraded to Onix10 so have a bigger screen, but don't see much difference in 360 view. I should confess that I'm new to fishing and am not confident that even if I see a fish that I can catch it. So I can't prove my object was/was not a fish by catching it.:) Any help would be appreciated.

15. Member
    Go to YouTube and search bass brawl outdoors and watch his videos on using the 360.

still looks like a bunch of nothing to me
    Post a video .using the panoptex in shallow water.or some pictures. (The video that I've seen,using the panoptex in shallow water,well that's just say say that it's lacking something)

17. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar

Could that be useful ......

Quote Originally Posted by fisher12 View Post
    Post a video .using the panoptex in shallow water.or some pictures. (The video that I've seen,using the panoptex in shallow water,well that's just say say that it's lacking something)
    R E S O L U T I O N ? ? ?

Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

Quote Originally Posted by jym View Post
    Thank you for all the info. Do you change the settings on your 360 very often? Do you have/Would you share your optimum settings? I think I'm reading the SI screens pretty well, but the 360 seems more of a blur to me. If the boat is moving, I can't tell if what I thought was a fish moved or it was due to the boat moving. We fish for Crappie and like to shoot docks but sometimes try to fish the brush in the open. It seems the 360 should really be helpful seeing where the fish move under the dock, but I'm really having trouble distinguishing anything. We just upgraded to Onix10 so have a bigger screen, but don't see much difference in 360 view. I should confess that I'm new to fishing and am not confident that even if I see a fish that I can catch it. So I can't prove my object was/was not a fish by catching it.:) Any help would be appreciated.
    360 doesn't really show to clear of an image.the farther an image is from the 360,the more it will be strecthed out.

I can't really think of anything that's in the price range of 360 that's even close to locating off shore fishing structure for crappie. (Maybe somebody can post something that will prove me wrong).if you set your 360 to a range of 100ft. or so.and trolling along,at speeds under 3 mph,you'll see pretty much all the structure in the rangeneral you set.no markers needed,no way points to follow.just see and go it and fish,then move on.

I can't really think of anything that's in the price range of 360 that's even close to locating off shore fishing structure for crappie. (Maybe somebody can post something that will prove me wrong).if you set your 360 to a range of 100ft. or so.and trolling along,at speeds under 3 mph,you'll see pretty much all the structure in the rangeneral you set.no markers needed,no way points to follow.just see and go it and fish,then move on.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast