Thread: Turkey Season

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    To me a slate call was pretty simple, with a little practice you can get some pretty cool tones and yelps. Knight and hale made a great sounding call. It is slate with a yellow frame. Tramp stamp is another. Might I suggest taking a mouth call in the vehicle with you for the ride. When ever you go o the store practice it. Go on you tube and try and mimick some f those sounds. I love the mouth calls cause it frees up my hands to shoot. Good luck.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Can someone offer advice on a decent Turkey call for a newbie? I think the mouth calls are out of the question, as I assume those might take a bit more experience and knowledge than I have. Only my 2nd time going in the woods for Turkey coming April, but I'm thinking a box call of some kind. I've been looking on MidwayUSA and there are probably 50 different models, its pretty confusing. Just want something not complicated to learn and use.

To me a slate call was pretty simple, with a little practice you can get some pretty cool tones and yelps. Knight and hale made a great sounding call. It is slate with a yellow frame. Tramp stamp is another. Might I suggest taking a mouth call in the vehicle with you for the ride. When ever you go o the store practice it. Go on you tube and try and mimick some f those sounds. I love the mouth calls cause it frees up my hands to shoot. Good luck.

Agreed......my 1st experience was with a Slate. I like Crystals now a days, but it more personal preference.....and I think the DB is higher output as well.

My 2 i take (since I suck @ Reeds) and a Slate & a hot-box.

Also on a slate call you need to condition the call. Get you a stone and rough up the call. Best thing to do is search it on you tube.

4. Member
    Ours starts Saturday it's been 70-80 for 3 weeks and now Ofcourse they are calling for *50 and rain. Not gonna go after em in the mud
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

5. Member
    Well, Chuck Swan was a bust. Me and Dad had a great time but the turkeys just didn't want to play. They had over 90 hunters Thursday and only 7 birds killed, over 90 hunters Friday with 2 birds killed and 75 hunters Saturday with 3 birds killed. That"s only 12 birds on the opening hunt on what used to be one of the best WMA's to hunt. The weather was perfect but the birds were hiding bigtime. I only heard 2 gobbling the first day way off from us, none on the second day but Saturday we actually had 3 gobble and answer us. Unfortunately they either had hens with them or they are trained to run from hen calls because they went the other way in a hurry. I don't know what has happened to all the birds at Chuck Swan, used to you could ride around and see them everywhere in the fields and opening day 25 birds was the norm. Dad took the camper down on Tuesday and scouted that afternoon and Wednesday. He jumped 3 hens in a corn field and saw 3 jakes from the road and we saw one longbeard as we were driving out after hunting had ended on Saturday. All in all I had a great camping trip with my Dad and at least we got to hear a few birds.

6. Member
    Saturday on April 1, my son turns 15, that weekend is Ky Youth Turkey weekend, We are going to give it a try. April 15 is the regular season, this is his last year for youth hunting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12