USA Radial or Bias Ply trailer tire recommendation?

20 foot skeeter with dual axle trailer - need to replace tires - radial or bias ply not sure what to get? Advice?

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Radial beyond a doubt. Check out this post for some info. I'd sure think the Goodyear Endurance is worth a look, even on a tandem.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Radial I wouldnt even consider bias ply trailer tire.

4. Banned
    When Goodyear Marathons were made in North America, they were fine. They're junk since production was moved to China.

Goodyear's G614's are about the best tire made for heavy trailers like fifth wheel RV's.

The retail market for boat trailers, travel trailers, fifth wheel RV's, horse trailers and stock trailers is in the millions. Hopefully Goodyear has realized a complete lack of quality trailer tires, and that they've finally put a good tire out with their new Endurance tire.

I'd go with the new Goodyear. And please report back to us with your experience with them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankman View Post
    Radial I wouldnt even consider bias ply trailer tire.
    If you look at the load specs and price, it seems bias ply tires are a good buy. I run radials on mine (Marathons but old ones) and I'm not sure why one would not run bias plys.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you look at the load specs and price, it seems bias ply tires are a good buy. I run radials on mine (Marathons but old ones) and I'm not sure why one would not run bias plys.
    Radials run cooler, roll easier and last longer.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Radials run cooler, roll easier and last longer.
    Well, since we're here on a trailer forum, many posts have been about radials running in pieces. I've taken out two fenders with radials disintegrating. That ain't cool.

8. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well, since we're here on a trailer forum, many posts have been about radials running in pieces. I've taken out two fenders with radials disintegrating. That ain't cool.
    That's kind of like the complaints about Marathons. Since they are overwhelmingly the most common, most of the complaints are going to be about them.
    nothing else matters.​

9. Member
    I just replaced the Carlisle "china bombs" on my single axle Ranger Trail Trailer with the new 14 inch Goodyear Endurance D rated ST Radial tires. I had a second blowout and ruined fender with Carlisle's caused by belt separation. The Carlisle's were just over 3 years old and were free replacements for the Carlisle's that blew and ruined my boat fender. Carlisle at first wanted all the information and pictures and talked like they were going to compensate me for the fender damage. But I just got word that they won't. They said the replacement tires the sent me were a little over 3 years old and they only warranty any tire or subsequent damage caused by a tire defect if its less than 3 years old. The ironic situation is I was on my way to have my tires replaced. Before going to the tire shop, I went to the Carlisle website to check out the new D rated tire that they were offering. Before looking the specs up I opened their FAQ section and watched their video of "when to change ST tires". There was an old fart like me in the video and he said that regardless of mileage and how the tread looks, Carlisle recommends changing them at least every 5 years. I called the local Discount Tire shop and they told me there would be a two hour or so wait. I don't think they had room for my truck/boat in their lot. So I made the mistake of not trusting my own judgement and also what I have read here and do one more long trip. I guessed wrong. Carlisle is not standing by their defective product. When I had my blowout on the road I had to buy two new Carlisle to get me going. Discount Tire gave me 1/2 off the one blown tire. They said Carlisle will reimburse them for that. They measured the tread on the other non blown tire and said because it had more than half the tread left and no visible signs of abnormal wear, I had to pay full price for a new replacement. They said Carlisle would not give them credit because the tire was still good. Go figure. Long story, I will never run a Carlisle tire or anyother "china bomb" as the people at Discount Tire refer to them again if I can help it. Im not saying these made in America Goodyears will be any better but I sure know the Carlisle's are junk.
    Last edited by Tromanoski; 03-14-2017 at 02:00 PM.

10. Member
    I always said that Carlisle tire were" the best $12 tire you could buy".

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana Trapper View Post
    I always said that Carlisle tire were" the best $12 tire you could buy".
    Well I think you are pricing them to high. Sad thing Chinese made ST tires are about the only game in town for the 14 inch application. I think Maxxis is made in viet nam or the Philippines. But until Goodyear finally had enough of the China Bombs there has not been a US made ST tire for a long time.