transducer mounting location

I bought a new lowrance LMS-522c igps, the dealer (Ranger/ lund) dealer said they would recommend installing the transducer on the exterior of the back of the boat, I would rather they not screw into the fiberglass exterior, what is the, I guess more correct way of mounting it or are they right? Thanks

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Re: transducer mounting location (08skeeternicc)

Well it depends how YOU want it. I installed my own and put it in the bilge area being i didn't want it ripped off from stumps or rocks. I would say 99% of the guys on here would say inside. Like i said you dont have to worry about it getting ripped off, pushed up or down and not being able to adjust it from the boat. It is a job to install it on the inside so my guess is that the dealer is not wanting to mess around on the inside, being that mounting on the transom is quick and easy. For my skeeter, i had to take everything out of the back to get in and install it. It took a day but i know it was done right and a year later i have not had any problems. I just noticed that you have a SX190, that's the same boat i have. In fact i posted some pics up here somewhere.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

I would mount it inside too

Re: transducer mounting location (BruceAlmighty)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BruceAlmighty &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would mount it inside too</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

5. Member

Re: transducer mounting location (BruceAlmighty)

+2 On the inside mount

6. Member
    can you get as good of readings if it is mounted inside the boat?

7. Skeeter Boats/Missouri Club Moderator Rodney Bledsoe's Avatar

Re: (Sivart)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sivart &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you get as good of readings if it is mounted inside the boat?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I have my puck for the 522c igps mounted inside

8. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Re: (Rodney Bledsoe)

I think he talking about the ducer. If so, yes, if mounted correctly. I did my own and you can take a look at my readings in the GPS page.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Re: (fishin couillon)

Inside . Not hard if done per the instructions from Lowrance. As a few have said, getting to it is the hardest part. Take the oppertunity to check your hoses and clean out your bilge as long as you are in there.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

10. Member

Re: (Neilslure)

I guess I'd rather have someone who does these installations everyday install mine, but if they want to install it fast and not quite right then I might have to open up the old tool box and do it my self.

11. Member

Well lowrance says that what you really need is two transducers. One mounted on the back above the bottom so you can use at low speed and one inside the boat. This also requires a switch between the two.
    this is the best set up for signal and clarity. The one inside is for your high speed running as he one on the out side rear would be out of the water.
    Having said all that put mine on the inside. Did not want to mess with the switch was willing to take the signal loss.
    1997 Skeeter SS140 Yamaha 115