Kayak fishing near Tampa

I'll be in Tampa in April looking to do some fishing. Where is the best place to fish from kayak? Which lake for big bass? Any advice on what to throw and what areas of lakes to fish would be helpful too. Thanks

2. Member
    I would just pond hop. Just be respectful as some places can be strict about fishing. If you want to kayak saltwater on tampa bay I can be a major help there and direct you right where to go for best chances of redfish.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

The Hillsborough river out of Riverhills is a good place for a kayaker. There's always plenty of kayak fisherman that fish the river. A lot of backwaters that are suited for kayak fisherman. There's a lot of big bass. Most of them are caught on a hollow body frog.

4. Member
    Tarpon Lake

5. Member
    Many places to fish from a kayak on the Hillsborough River in addition to Riverhills (which is also very good). Check out Hillsborough County Parks, there should be maps there. PM me when you get ready to come and I'll give you a few tips. Been fishing that river for over 50 years. Can be good and can be tough. Went last Tuesday, caught around 25. A few in the 2.5 to 3 range with biggest about 5.5. Not a stellar trip for me but not a bad day either.

6. Member
    Hillsborough River.......last time I fished this river was 66 years ago, walking the banks and was chased by a black indigo snake. Brought back some memories.

7. Banned
    Hillsborough River is good,the bypass canal is also good,most lakes have been over developed and are hard to get into. Try some of the settling ponds in the numerous sub divisions.

8. Member
    is there a website to glean public ramp info on the Hillsborough river?

9. Member
    Just google florida public boat ramps and theres an FWC Site that will bring you to a map you can search all related counties near Tampa. As stated above, i would located some nice ponds and hop around them. I lived in Tampa for 15 months with work and found some nice pond at the Bruce B Downs / I75 interchange, shhh. with good fishing and was never bothered. Also, lived in an apartment on a small lake and caught quite a few in the 2-7 lb range just tossing speed worms. Btw, the hillsborough river looked good though I never fished it. Hope this helps.

Tenaroc
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

11. Member
    Thanks for the info

12. Member
    Check out Tenoroc Fish Management Area in Lakeland. A search will pull up FWC's web site link for the place. I don't fish it like I was in the past. But I have still been doing well when I go. Went Friday after the front came through, still boated 10. Biggest boated was 23". Biggest shook hooks beside boat.
    Not Tampa, but lots of pits to fish.